Old 31 August 2015, 11:15   #1

Town: RADCLIFFE
Length: 8m +
Inflatable tube mod from an inflatable ?

Hi all i am a new chap in the world of Ribs and the like and i am rebuilding a GRP cruiser, so not this forum related so i wont go into that here, but it will be in a way as i will be wanting an inflatable soon to use as a tender. but in the mean time i need a little help with this idea i have.

As i have never messed with rubber dinghy`s in anyway i am not sure how good the glues used are for repairs, or if they will be good enough for the small project i have in mind.

The idea i to get an old rubber dinghy and cut away the side tubes of around 24 inch long and 18-24 inch diameter, with the handles in the middle still attached, and then make into inflatable tubes by capping off the ends, this is where i am unsure of what if any glue to use and which is best for the type of rubber its made from ?. Is the glue good enough to hold such a patch?

There will be lines fitted to the tubes for inflation and deflation also in the modding.

This is a way i am looking in to sorting some as to getting some made to order as they will be very expensive, and finding it difficult to find what i need already made, unless anybody can point me in the right direction.

cheers all

Wolly
Old 31 August 2015, 11:36   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi wolly
Why not buy inflateable thwart seats for Barnet marine and glue handles on.
Old 31 August 2015, 13:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Hi wolly
Why not buy inflateable thwart seats for Barnet marine and glue handles on.
Had a look but unable to find them on there website. found the inflatable fenders, expensive for what i need. I will google and see what shows up.

thanks for the help.
Old 31 August 2015, 15:50   #4

Length: 3m +
The glues are good, in the right hands.

What are you doing?
Old 31 August 2015, 16:19   #5

RIBase
Mail speed marine wave line inflatable seat for a 2.3-2.9boat £22.99
Old 31 August 2015, 16:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
The glues are good, in the right hands.

What are you doing?
An idea for the cruiser i am rebuilding, i will be wanting to stay on the boat when we take it to sea now and then when on holiday, i was going to make it into a bilge keel but i thought of this, to use two inflatable cylinders to keep it upright when the tide is out so we can stay on the boat if we want. more to the design i have than that but thats the idea.
Old 31 August 2015, 16:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Mail speed marine wave line inflatable seat for a 2.3-2.9boat £22.99

Thanks kida, i will find the dimension, not seen many big enough though in the seats a si need them to be minimum 18 inch diameter.
Old 31 August 2015, 17:22   #8

What weight is the boat? My concern would be the pressure of a couple of tons of boat sitting on a relatively weak tube. That'll be far higher forces than a 2 ton Rib puts through its tubes?

Curious how you plan to "install" it? What will stop it floating up to the surface before the tide is out enough for the boat to be leaning on it all the time?
Old 31 August 2015, 17:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
What weight is the boat? My concern would be the pressure of a couple of tons of boat sitting on a relatively weak tube. That'll be far higher forces than a 2 ton Rib puts through its tubes?

Curious how you plan to "install" it? What will stop it floating up to the surface before the tide is out enough for the boat to be leaning on it all the time?
That is my concern, so the reason not to spend hundreds on a made tube set up. The boat is a 20 foot cruiser GRP, around 1200kg. I have a strap design for holding it place and setting it up
Old 31 August 2015, 19:53   #10

Sharp rocks, lots of force, large air pressure. Its not so much the new seems that would worry me.
Old 01 September 2015, 12:31   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Look at beaching legs, designed for the job.
Old 01 September 2015, 13:56   #12

RIBase
i would look at land drain the black ribbed mdpe type they have it that size strong enough to hold your boat no floating issues or if you do want they have blanks to seal the ends last time i bought some 5m length 600 mm dia £120 possibly more now
Old 01 September 2015, 14:59   #13

Another idea i have been given if inflation makes the boat unstable is to fill with water, even though they bags would no be used in any depth of water. I have found good 12v pumps that can fill 400+l of water in less than 30 mins.

I first looked at beach legs but as aid above it when the boat is at rest and they sink in a soft sand/mud, they would need large feet/pads to prevent from sinking. Its ok if you have a regular mooring but in my case i will be moving the boat from place to place.
Old 01 September 2015, 16:10   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynesWorld View Post
I first looked at beach legs but as aid above it when the boat is at rest and they sink in a soft sand/mud, they would need large feet/pads to prevent from sinking. Its ok if you have a regular mooring but in my case i will be moving the boat from place to place.
Well I don't want to quell your innovation but people have been sailing and beaching yachts for hundreds of years, including on muddy bottoms!

The fact you plan to move from place to place means you presumably won't know the exact details of the sea bed in each location and the sharp hazards that might lie underneath - your inflatable (or "fillable") idea could be really expensive if it fails suddenly and puts your boat on its side into incoming waves or just crashing onto a rocky bottom.