Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
I got a nav system yesterday. It came free with a brand new Rangerover HSE V8 which I picked up from Landrover yesterday.

By the time I got to the M40 I had bust it!

What do you expect when you buy cheap

Jonathan
Old 20 November 2005, 20:36   #22

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
I've got an A3 petrol station car map and I'm very happy with it.

At £1.99 its accurate, portable, accepts upgrades via a pencil or highlighter and doesn't talk back or tell you off if you miss a turning unlike an expensive box of tricks or a wife

missus
Old 20 November 2005, 21:23   #23

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
... is one of SONY's vaio- eat your heart out JW!!!!!!
Did I say something?

As it happens, I was looking at buying one. It had a 10" screen but it was too much money for nothing extra. And Sony's high contrast screen appears to be nothing more than a screen without an anti-reflective surface so you gain contrast.....and reflections!
Old 22 November 2005, 19:10   #24

Town: Greenock area
Boat name: Joni Chimpo
Make: Narwhall
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp Mariner
Send a message via MSN to GaryD
I use tomtom mobile 5 with a bluetooth gps reciever on my Nokia 6630. It gets well used (almost everyday) due to my job and has never let me down.

Got the tomtom mem card and gps receiver from ebay as a package for £100... is money well spent in my opinion!
Old 25 November 2005, 13:21   #25
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I'm not so happy with my Garmin i3 now since I dropped it.

It wasn't a big drop, just a couple of feet onto a wooden floor as I bent down to pick up my keys. The result was that the LCD screen cracked inside.

I understand that the i3 is not “designed to be dropped”, but I would expect any small portable device to survive the occasional mishap. My other Garmin GPS units have managed it, as have a variety of mobile phones and PDAs - it's not ideal, but in the real world it happens from time to time.

Garmin's only response is to say that I shouldn't have dropped it and offer a repair for £91.80!

If I had dropped it from a great height, or repeatedly, I wouldn’t be so concerned. However, for such a minor knock to require a repair costing more than 50% of the purchase price seems unacceptable to me.

So do I bite the bullet and get it repaired, or cut my losses and gett something better?

John
Old 25 November 2005, 13:36   #26

Length: no boat
I have the Alpine system fitted in my car the dvd version does all of europe on the one disk you can also have attachments fitted to play dvds or receive tv signals my business partner had the same in his car but had it removed when he sold it and bought a new car which had a factory fit nav system so we have one spare if anybody wants to make an offer it has the latest dvd installed and I have to say I thing the Alpine System is one of the best cost just over £3000 new
Old 25 November 2005, 13:39   #27

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
I have the Alpine system fitted in my car the dvd version does all of europe on the one disk you can also have attachments fitted to play dvds or receive tv signals my business partner had the same in his car but had it removed when he sold it and bought a new car which had a factory fit nav system so we have one spare if anybody wants to make an offer it has the latest dvd installed and I have to say I thing the Alpine System is one of the best cost just over £3000 new
I think £300 on an Ipaq with TomTom is a better bet - you can get a wider variety of more detailed maps - you can use nautical charts on it or OS maps and there is a great FREE database of speedcameras - bit more versatile than a built in system and a tad cheaper!!!
Old 25 November 2005, 13:52   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I think £300 on an Ipaq with TomTom is a better bet - you can get a wider variety of more detailed maps - you can use nautical charts on it or OS maps and there is a great FREE database of speedcameras - bit more versatile than a built in system and a tad cheaper!!!
you could be right but you dont have to put your glasses on to read the Alpine screen its also a radio and plays cds the screen also folds away when not in use

Ps. what good are nautical charts to you in a car codders and dont tell me you can take it on your rib with you because its not salt water resistand
Old 25 November 2005, 13:58   #29

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Did you know that in Spain it's against the law to have a GPS mounted where you can see it ?
Old 25 November 2005, 14:19   #30

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Garmin's only response is to say that I shouldn't have dropped it and offer a repair for £91.80!

I would agree with Garmin on this..... Its funny when I asked for a cable harness for my 2010c - they sent it next day FOC first class delivery. Even though it was not the one I needed- it must have cost at least 40 quid. I suppose its how you talk to them.............

Would suggest that you call them back next week, grovel a bit, and explain that RibNet is doing a study on this and needs some free ones to compare..

Jonathan
Old 25 November 2005, 14:23   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
you could be right but you dont have to put your glasses on to read the Alpine screen its also a radio and plays cds the screen also folds away when not in use

Ps. what good are nautical charts to you in a car codders and dont tell me you can take it on your rib with you because its not salt water resistand
It is with one of these!!!

http://www.otterbox.com/products/pda_cases/index.htm
Old 25 November 2005, 16:27   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
DAM
Old 25 November 2005, 17:19   #33

hehe
Old 26 November 2005, 07:36   #34

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
or cut my losses and get something better?

John
Go for it.

(Christmas is approaching after all )

The integrated bluetooth phone system in the Tom Tom is a big advantage workwise.

Us
Old 26 November 2005, 08:45   #35

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
JK.. just a small point... for a change... if you end up with a bike, buy a GPS that you can use on bike and in car.. TomTom is not waterproof. the TomTom Rider is out any minute... that is waterproof, but no integral speaker.. I run with a Garmin 2610 for car/Truck/bike.. Joanne uses a TomTom in her car... she prefers hers because of the viual "3d" look..the TomTom is a self powered unit (big plus) The Garmin isn't... I prefer my unit because of the vastly superior mapping options compared to hers... and if they're portable units you don't leave 'em in the car to attract our light fingered bretheren..
Old 26 November 2005, 08:50   #36
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
I am better off with my fecker Garmin get more lost with it so next time not allowed to come along ...... will be used for foreign visitors over here......... as they will definately get lost...........

Bogi back to old way, asking directions................
Old 26 November 2005, 09:09   #37

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett

So do I bite the bullet and get it repaired, or cut my losses and gett something better?

John
Have it repaired, you were very happy with it previously, you will save money splashing out on a much more expensive unit, and be more careful next time.

ps - I'll buy it off you for £90.00
Old 26 November 2005, 09:13   #38
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
As codprawn suggested get your self a PDA and stick tom tom on it and you really will have a top bit of kit. Then you can run the Memory Map software and said waterproof box and off you go. And all less than the price of a tom tom GO 700 with the hands free built in. if you need a BT car kit proper Nokia ones are only £90 odd. www.totalgps.co.uk ????
Old 05 December 2005, 07:42   #39
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Well I bit the bullet and shelled out the cash to Garmin. We'll just have to see how well it lasts now.

I am aggrieved that the damn thing broke, but on the other hand Garmin could have just told me to feck off and buy a new one so it could have been worse I suppose.

John
Old 05 December 2005, 08:32   #40

Town: mansfield
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Agree with Nos. They are all ok if ya driving a car, but with a 13'6" or 14'10" reefer on the back, you still need to consult the good old fashioned AA truckers atlas of GB. I used to have Tom Tom 3 on a Ipaq 2210, but the Ipaq died and I really cant be botherd to replace it. Iv got more hard copies of good old fashioned A-Z's than I care to mention.

However, the Disco I have just bought has got a VDO Dayton system fitted. And thats about all I know about it till I read the destructions

Right must go, late start with the truck today, got to plot me route on an A-Z!!!!

Martin