Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Have you seen this boat?

Used by animal activists targetting whaling ships

and another look:-
Old 23 December 2009, 14:20   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Not sure I follow their logic on this one though...

Using a stealth boat to block the harpoon ship from getting at whales, surely they will just run it down and claim not to have seen it - what with it being stealthy and all?!
Old 23 December 2009, 14:42   #3
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Who the hell pays for it??
Old 23 December 2009, 15:11   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Length: no boat
Being that this boat runs on Bio-Fuel maybe the plan is to run it on Sea Sheppherds captain Paul Watson blubber.
Old 23 December 2009, 16:57   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Using a stealth boat to block the harpoon ship from getting at whales, surely they will just run it down and claim not to have seen it - what with it being stealthy and all?!
Given Sea Shepherd's well documented incompetence I suspect that being run down by a Japanese whaling ship will be the least of their worries!
Old 23 December 2009, 17:08   #6
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Given Sea Shepherd's well documented incompetence I suspect that being run down by a Japanese whaling ship will be the least of their worries!
Old 24 December 2009, 14:44   #7

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Yep,
these guys give genuine tree huggers a bad name. They are enviromentalists with a emphasis on the mentalist part of the meaning of the word
Old 27 December 2009, 03:59   #8

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Now, now John. It is the season of goodwill, not cheapshots.

The fact is that these people are amateurs in the true sense of the word. And a sadder fact is that they are the only people doing anything about protecting the whales in their natural habitat.

People get upset about the brutality of seal culls and the Japanese dolphin slaughters, yet because this happens in a remote and forbidding part of the planet, people are prepared to turn a blind eye to this carnage that mascarades under the guise of "scientific research".
Old 27 December 2009, 05:13   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittentobuggery View Post
Now, now John. It is the season of goodwill, not cheapshots.
I don't think that's a cheap shot given the attitude of the captain.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2009, 10:53   #10

Make: Ribtec
Engine: Yamaha F225
Why do you find it necessary to dig up archive footage ? They were gung ho for the camera and of course they looked bloody stupid. These people have moved on ( I'm not saying that they are a professional crew now because they are still amateurs, giving up their time for a cause they feel passionate about)

However the difference is that they are actually DOING SOMETHING down in the antarctic instead of cyber sneering from behind a warm keyboard.

Having met some of the crew and their supporters, I have strong views on the justification of their cause. However I have no wish to get into a protracted argument defending Paul Watson, his actions or those of his crew or supporters against the prevalent attitude on this thread and choose not to visit this forum again.

I have found Ribnet to be a valuable resource and have met some really decent people over the years.
Old 27 December 2009, 12:39   #11

BTB,
these guys are well over the line of "the end justifies the means" I think you will find that nobody here supports whaling per se but whether you like it or not what they are doing is legal and taking the law into their own hands because they don't agree with it is not.
They are obviously taking the view that this is a "special case" but who decides that?
This "special case" argument has been applied to everything from honour killings to the Holocaust and each time breaking the law has been justified by the perpertrators because the "law" doesn't take account of this situation, its too urgent/important etc etc.
These guys are taking direct action and while the object may be admirable the methods IMO are certainly not, just the same as the land based loonies firebombing research labs and homes is also unacceptable.
This is apart from the obvious incompetence of their operation and the fact that somebody is going to get seriously injured or killed eventually.
The only protest I support is peaceful protest and if folk feel strongly enough this will work.
Are you trying to argue that bombarding ships with cans, paint and other obnoxious substances, illegal boardings and thefts, rammings and all other sorts of nonsense in very dangerous southern waters is actually justified and acceptable and if so, how?
Have you read some of the exploits of the sea shepherd mob on their own website? They are quite frankly damned, in their own words, as a bunch of enviroloonies that IMO should be locked up for their own safety never mind everyone elses........
Old 27 December 2009, 18:33   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittentobuggery View Post
Why do you find it necessary to dig up archive footage ? They were gung ho for the camera and of course they looked bloody stupid.
the captain of the ship is one of the founders of the organisation as so one would assume that his "enthusiasm" (or if your prefer "stupidity") is prevelant throughout the organisation. Anyone niave enough to allow their organisation to presented in the media in the way that they have deserves any criticism levied at them. I believe he was one of the founders of Greenpeace so he is obviously not actually stupid - but the footage clearly shows he is recklesss in his endeavours to 'fight' his cause.
Quote:
These people have moved on ( I'm not saying that they are a professional crew now because they are still amateurs, giving up their time for a cause they feel passionate about)
I would assume from the biography on their website that "Captain Watson" is in fact a Professional seaman. The others may give their time freely but that's no excuse for not acting professionally. An organisation that chooses to allow people to opperate in vessels of that scale in difficult environments with innadequate training or management control is itself unprofessional.
Quote:
However the difference is that they are actually DOING SOMETHING down in the antarctic instead of cyber sneering from behind a warm keyboard.
perhaps you are over estimating the strength of feeling about the whaling, seal culling issues. You obviously feel strongly about it - so feel free to get up off your arse and do something about it. Personally whilst I'm not enthusiastic about whaling, sealing etc I have never lost any sleep over it - and so have no desire to do anything about it - whether you shout at me or not. Bruce summed up my thoughts pretty well - but I would add that change will come from diplomacy not 'direct action'. And those taking agressive action like this are about as likely to be welcome at the diplomacy table as Al Quaedia!
Quote:
Having met some of the crew and their supporters, I have strong views on the justification of their cause. However I have no wish to get into a protracted argument defending Paul Watson, his actions or those of his crew or supporters against the prevalent attitude on this thread and choose not to visit this forum again.

I have found Ribnet to be a valuable resource and have met some really decent people over the years.
wow has it taken 7.5 years for someone to say something that pissed you off? There's three courses of action open to you when that happens: (1) fight it out - if you believe in the cause; (2) make your comment but avoid a protracted argument; (3) ignore it all together. Your attitude of "I disagree with you, and therefore will not even discuss it, nor anything else, with you" is roughly how my six-year old behaves!
Old 27 December 2009, 19:10   #13

Town: Ireland
Length: 10m +
I have to say that I agree with Polwart 100%.

Every time I see these guys on tv I am left in utter disbelief. I have spent time in Antarctica
& it certainly isnt a place for incompetent & wreckless seafarers.
Mr. Bittentobuggery, if you feel so passionate about this cause then stand up & be counted, if you make your case then there are intelligent people on here that can digest that information, if you choose to childishly opt out then your passion for then cause is questionable & compromised. If not I suggest that you continue making homemade candles & quilt knitting or whatever other green & wholesome pastimes you may have.
Old 27 December 2009, 22:21   #14

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
i cringe at the thought of them craning that over the side after some of their earlier exploits with the delta rib .though they seem now to have sorted that problem out by looking at the latest series,,,one thing though if the japanise are allowed to kill whales for sientific /sampling reasons ,, just exactly how many samples do they need ,,lol,,,echos of unit 731
Old 27 December 2009, 22:27   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
if you feel so passionate about this cause then stand up & be counted
Ah Jaysus, it's that time of the year again...

Fair 'nuff, here I go again. I deeply regret that those idiots are effing about with that piece of maritime art, Earthrace. I sincerely wish they had torpedoes. Best of luck to 'em!
Old 27 December 2009, 23:52   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
I have spent time in Antarctica
& it certainly isnt a place for incompetent & wreckless seafarers.
I think this is probably the main reason I am so horrified about their actions. I have worked in the Artic circle at sea as well and the thought of these folk fills me with dread at the thought of the possibilities of disaster, both to themselves and everyone else.
The northern or southern oceans (but probably even more so in the southern ocean) are not the places to have anyone in the water if you want a even reasonable chance of surviving it.