Old 11 February 2007, 22:30   #21

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Just another titbit of info. The typical 12 bore shotgun or 30cal bolt action rifle eg. 303 Enfield produces about 30 ft. lbs of recoil. A 50 cal rifle produces 120 ft. lbs. OUCH!! It takes a lot of practice to shoot one accurately. Of course they all have muzzle brakes. Also, if you ever forget to put you ear protection on you will never forget again.
The Barret is not very accurate due to it being recoil operated; too many moving parts flopping about but Ok for taking out pick up trucks at 1000 yards.
Old 11 February 2007, 22:41   #22

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
You and I need a contest then linda, I'll out shoot you in both 338, or 50 calibres .. Bisley marksman stylie .... Sako TRG stylie hehe
Old 11 February 2007, 23:25   #23

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Codders
It is spelt " Boyes" and it never was a sniping rifle but a very poor anti tank weapon. Most of these are still in the N. African desert. The world record for 50 cal. accuracy is 5 rounds in a group just under 3 inches at 1000yards. ( That is approx. 0.3 minutes of angle ( MOA) )Achieved by a custom Macmillan Bolt action rifle made here in Phoenix. Also, used by the US Navy seals. Ammo used by US miltary 50 cal sniping is the Raufus round . Look it up, it is a incendary/ armour piercing/ exploding tracer. Very nasty. I have fired a few of them. Have also fired approx. 2000 round of 50 cal. in target matches using hand loaded ammo. You are correct the standard machine gun round is not very accurate. The UK marine snipers use the Accuracy international, 338 Lapua bolt action. Very effective as an anti personell round but does not match the 50 cal on vehicles. And by the way: both the US bolt action Springfield ( 1903) and the Lee Enfield were copies of the German Mauser.
Time to do some more reseach my friend.
Regards.
right you are Limey, ultimate credit for the bolt action goes to the Bros mauser, Paul especially if I have my history right. The MAUSER is the bolt action all others are measured by. They started it all... everyone else copied it, few if any could improve on it.
Old 11 February 2007, 23:46   #24

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Thanks Pat
And,for those that may be interested another quirk of firearms history. During WWI , Enfield designed a new bolt action rifle called the P14 Enfield which was also a basic Mauser design copy. Britain did not have the resources to make it so the design was sent to the USA. Colt and many other companys made the rifle in 303 cal and shipped then to the UK. When the US joined the war they modified them to 30-06 cal. and called it the P17 ( for 1917) and that was the weapon that the "Doughboys" used, hence the nickname " doughboys rifle". See Sgt. York Movie.
It just so happens that the bolt face of a P14(303 british) is identical to that of the 300 Winchester Magnum. Therefore, I am the proud owner of a bull barrel P14 target rifle( rebarreled and stocked of course) that will out shoot my 50 cal. on a wind less day with moly coated match reloads.
Regards. L
Old 12 February 2007, 00:35   #25

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Maybe not so wrong

"commonly known as the Boys or often and incorrectly Boyes Anti-tank Rifle"
Named after Captain HC Boys

Sorry for being pedantic but I didn't try to pick up on a little mistake!!!

Anyway I am well aware it was a crap antitank rifle but then again I don't think a 50cal would be much good against an MBT either!!! Maybe if they had used the Boys for other things it would have been a bigger success.
Old 12 February 2007, 20:00   #26

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Any of you guys tried RPA's stuff?

http://www.rpa-eng.com/

Interested to hear your thoughts?