Old 31 October 2005, 11:44   #1

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Charger
Make: Prosport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 200HP OB
Firework Safety

With 5th November rapidly approching, here's a fireworks safety tip. Never do this:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/buttrocket.html.

And remember, pets and fireworks don't mix:

http://www.extremefunnyhumor.com/mov_fireworkdog.htm
Old 31 October 2005, 12:20   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Absolutely the best EVER!!!!

The dog one is great = no need for animal lovers to be concerned!!!
Old 31 October 2005, 14:00   #3

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
OK for a few seconds the clip is quite funny......

but it's not really is it ? We don't have a fireworks night any more , we have a fireworks season which starts about the end of September , runs through the end of Ramadan , Diwali , Xmas , Chinese New Year and every Tom Dick and Harry Birthday in between . This brings real misery to thousands of pets , pet owners and no doubt wild animals as well. As someone with three dogs , I dont mind fireworks night , or even one week before and after Nov.5th but 3 months ?
Needless to say many of the fireworks that are let off " next door " were never intended for private consumption , but for much larger "Public Displays ." The government has had some limited success with controlling this problem , but I understand that even this might be upset by our well meaning cousins in Brussels .
The RSPCA are running a campaign to adress this continuing problem .

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Sate...t&pg=RSPCAHome

so by all means enjoy the clip , but remember it is a real problem to many animals & people .
Old 31 October 2005, 17:24   #4

Nobody could love animals any more than me but remember it is NOT the fireworks that cause the problem - it is the yobs using them. They are just as bad throwing stones and using catapults or air rifles or even pouring petrol over animals and setting them on fire!!!

I reckon they should have FAR stricter punishments for people who hurt animals like this - if they can hury an innocent animal they can hurt a child!!!
Old 01 November 2005, 08:41   #5

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Sorry Codprawn , I beg to differ

It is the fireworks that are the problem . It is true that the worst excesses of the problem are yob related . However the real problem is the amount of fireworks sold , their power and the extent of time over which they are discharged . Even your average Family box of fireworks , let off innocently by family groups in their own back gardens , can be seen and heard from two miles away or more .

This may not be such a problem " in the sticks " , but in Towns & Cities animals are bombarded with the bloody things night in , night out for three months unless it's raining.

I don't want to spoil the fun for lots of folks , but fireworks should be controlled in public displays .
Old 01 November 2005, 08:47   #6
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck
It is

I don't want to spoil the fun for lots of folks , but fireworks should be controlled in public displays .

Yes yes yes.
Old 01 November 2005, 10:02   #7

Maybe it was becuase I had a gun dog!!!
Old 01 November 2005, 10:49   #8

Yes. And of course if it weren't for the fireworks, towns & cities would be such peaceful tranquil places. No adverse weather conditions (lightning). No road traffic. No building sites. Night clubs. Bars. Pubs. Airports. Factories. Overflying aircraft. Or indeed any other activity that might cause harm to animals.

You are trying to cause problems where these is none! Fine, firework regulation could be improved, or their power limited for domestic sales, but this is a safety issue on their use, not about their noise nuisance.

"Bombarded with the things" - you are totally delusional!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck
It is the fireworks that are the problem . It is true that the worst excesses of the problem are yob related . However the real problem is the amount of fireworks sold , their power and the extent of time over which they are discharged . Even your average Family box of fireworks , let off innocently by family groups in their own back gardens , can be seen and heard from two miles away or more .

This may not be such a problem " in the sticks " , but in Towns & Cities animals are bombarded with the bloody things night in , night out for three months unless it's raining.

Old 01 November 2005, 11:33   #9

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
sonam....manos
?