Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 23 September 2015, 08:37   #21

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Hi, I can hear the Treasury calculating an income opportunity

How long do we think before the letter drops through your door telling you that "you have been driving a vehicle with higher emmissions than your road tax allows - we have calculated your shortfall in road tax to be £ ...........?

Steve
Do you think that likely? My guess that this might only affect brand new cars. I'm looking at 4 year old Fabia diesels for my missus at the moment. The considering factor being the £20 tax band. Do you reckon I'll be hit with an increase in tax should that be an affected car?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2015, 08:52   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
. Do you reckon I'll be hit with an increase in tax should that be an affected car?
A bit risky. What would you do if the RFL shot up from £20 to £30 a year?!

Starve the kids?!
Old 23 September 2015, 09:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
A bit risky. What would you do if the RFL shot up from £20 to £30 a year?!

Starve the kids?!
Might shoot up to £200/year though!

Perhaps get rid of the wife and save £20

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 23 September 2015, 09:11   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 23 September 2015, 16:52   #25

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Do you think that likely? My guess that this might only affect brand new cars. I'm looking at 4 year old Fabia diesels for my missus at the moment. The considering factor being the £20 tax band. Do you reckon I'll be hit with an increase in tax should that be an affected car?
Best forget Škoda UK's official fuel-efficiency figures then.

I drive a 2010 Škoda Fabia 1.6 TDI CR 105PS (77kw engine) when my V6 quattro avant isn't hauling the boat - (emissions similar to an E-Type Frigate.)

The Fabia costs £20 road-tax and about £45 to fill the tank. That equates to a maximum 500 mile range on a mix of A-class and motorway driving as long as you don't have a heavy right-foot. Fuel consumption, then expect minimum of mid-50s mpg. Should be able to get a MKII Fabia Monte Carlo, say 2011/12 with 30k miles for £7,500.
Old 23 September 2015, 18:55   #26

Length: 3m +
If you want some real world data

Browse All Cars | Fuelly

I was clocking top range 40's per gallon on a 2008 1.9TDI Octavia until last month when I replaced it... Thats pretty much text book.
Old 23 September 2015, 20:22   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Although when I bought my Ssangyong they specifically said they had not tried to create an engine to pass emmissions tests at the loss of power - so perhaps not everyone has.
Wow did you go to Korea to get your car or do you just believe whatever the sales guy says? Although I think you'll find there's a lot of "german" in your engine so don't rule out the possibility it was optimised for tests not real life!
Old 23 September 2015, 21:17   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Wow did you go to Korea to get your car or do you just believe whatever the sales guy says? Although I think you'll find there's a lot of "german" in your engine so don't rule out the possibility it was optimised for tests not real life!
No their emissions are sh1t! They've optimised it for towing and are quite open that that means they aren't as 'efficient' as their competitors in the Euro Test. They also haven't stuck a 1.2l engine in and pretended it will be 'just as powerful' as the 2litre used to be because of all the technology...

The ECU is entirely theirs not Mercedes. The block is theirs it just happens to be a bit like a Mercedes one
Old 23 September 2015, 22:32   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Best forget Škoda UK's official fuel-efficiency figures then.

I drive a 2010 Škoda Fabia 1.6 TDI CR 105PS (77kw engine) when my V6 quattro avant isn't hauling the boat - (emissions similar to an E-Type Frigate.)

The Fabia costs £20 road-tax and about £45 to fill the tank. That equates to a maximum 500 mile range on a mix of A-class and motorway driving as long as you don't have a heavy right-foot. Fuel consumption, then expect minimum of mid-50s mpg. Should be able to get a MKII Fabia Monte Carlo, say 2011/12 with 30k miles for £7,500.
Thanks for the info, however after today I've never going to go car hunting with my missus....Ever! I ended up telling her to oil her push bike up lol

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 24 September 2015, 08:37   #30
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
I phoned Audi yesterday to book in the Mrs A3 for a service, we went through the usual questions like mileage, when to drop it in etc., then the guy said do you want a treatment to clean the engine it can also improve mpg and emissions. I don't know what came over me but without even thinking I said does it have a VW badge on the bottle? The guy continued reading through his script for a couple of seconds then paused sucked his teeth and said that's really not appropriate I could here the tumbleweed in the call centre. Oooops. I don't think VW will be the only fall out of this scandal.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 24 September 2015, 08:56   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
....... I don't think VW will be the only fall out of this scandal.
Absolutely. VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat/Bentley I would be EXTREMELY surprised if other manufacturers aren't doing the same. There is a deafening silence from the rest of the industry, I'm not hearing Ford-GM-BMW-JLR-Mercedes coming out & saying "we'd never do that" This is another banking scandal; one gets found out & the rest come crashing down behind. VW have some of the most technically advanced diesels on the planet & if they are having to fiddle the figures to make them fit, how can other diesel manufacturers produce engines that don't need fiddling, go figure
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2015, 10:55   #32
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
...and said that's really not appropriate
Ooooh! Lucky he had you on the phone and not me....

....I would have had "one of my little moments" at that point! That pup needs to man up and take his licks. His employers effed up and so long as you're not abusive to him personally he should put up and shut up! All IMHO natch
Old 24 September 2015, 11:52   #33

Town: Great South Bay
Make: AB 450 VST
Engine: Johnson 50 2-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
I have no love for the EPA and California air quality board, most of what they do seems to lack any scientific basis.

as I don't own a VW but my biggest gripe is they they probably just killed diesel in the USA. It was already just a niche fuel, other than for our (my) giant pickup trucks, but this is probably the last straw for consumer vehicles. Now we just have the ridiculous hybrid crap.

Jason
Completely agree and that's the way our government wants it. It's no accident. The Obama administration had declared war on fossil fuels and the internal combustion engine long ago.
Old 24 September 2015, 12:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Absolutely. VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat/Bentley I would be EXTREMELY surprised if other manufacturers aren't doing the same. There is a deafening silence from the rest of the industry, I'm not hearing Ford-GM-BMW-JLR-Mercedes coming out & saying "we'd never do that" This is another banking scandal; one gets found out & the rest come crashing down behind. VW have some of the most technically advanced diesels on the planet & if they are having to fiddle the figures to make them fit, how can other diesel manufacturers produce engines that don't need fiddling, go figure
Like the banking scandal the government is playing the lead role. When regulation is hammered in without economic consideration, affected parties will find a way to stay economically viable. Some might cheer the heavy hand, but be careful what you wish for.

The global warming hysteria is unfounded, dangerous and costly. The economic impacts are massive and the less fortunate will ultimately suffer. This "scandal", created by the government, can push Europe into a recession. Enjoy the corporate witch hunt with peril.
Old 24 September 2015, 12:45   #35
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoellis View Post
Like the banking scandal the government is playing the lead role. When regulation is hammered in without economic consideration, affected parties will find a way to stay economically viable. Some might cheer the heavy hand, but be careful what you wish for.

The global warming hysteria is unfounded, dangerous and costly. The economic impacts are massive and the less fortunate will ultimately suffer. This "scandal", created by the government, can push Europe into a recession. Enjoy the corporate witch hunt with peril.
Tempting as it is to answer this post, I must resist as RIBnet doesn't do Politics - which is where this is headed, IMO. Any debate on the wrongheaded Government insistence that the planet is warming up, populated by the decendents of apes or is spherical in shape must be conducted on another forum

Old 24 September 2015, 13:05   #36

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
An interesting topic this, but I still don't know what the consequence for me as the man on the street is yet.

I have three modes of transport with VW derived engines in them. Am I going to get a recall on the diesel ones for some sort of software update? Will that have any impact on my day to day fuel economy or driveability? TBH I really don't care about NOx issues etc as I'm not in the habit of running a pipe from the exhaust for any extra curricular activities and I didn't make my purchases based on environmental qualities. Nor do I pay tax based on specified emissions. IMHO it actually goes to show how clever the VW boffins are!
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2015, 14:21   #37

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Tempting as it is to answer this post, I must resist as RIBnet doesn't do Politics - which is where this is headed, IMO. Any debate on the wrongheaded Government insistence that the planet is warming up, populated by the decendents of apes or is spherical in shape must be conducted on another forum

Yes, fair enough.
Old 24 September 2015, 14:23   #38

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
To much fuss over nowt prob won't make much difference it's all these Greenies that's fussing 😉 BTW what's a Ssangyong 🙈
Old 24 September 2015, 14:26   #39

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
..... BTW what's a Ssangyong ��
I didn't like to ask
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 24 September 2015, 14:34   #40

RIBase
Quote:
Yes, fair enough.
Blimey, you're a pushover