Old 10 September 2008, 21:06   #1

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
eBay Motors

Has anyone sold, or bought, a vehicle on eBay Motors? What format did you use? Classified or an Auction?

Andy

p.s. anyone wanna buy a 206cc with 17,000ms on it?
Old 10 September 2008, 21:20   #2

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I have bought three cars and two bikes and sold three cars on ebay within the last two years. Admittedly they were all classic vehicles but no problems encountered. Purchased a combination of methods, sales all auctions.
Old 10 September 2008, 21:22   #3

Thanks.
Old 10 September 2008, 21:52   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Sold a mazda 323 as an ebay auction no reserve low starting price. Got several enquiries, then got an offer that was too good to refuse to end the listing (approx 2x what I had been expecting). Thought I had just got lucky but after ending the auction early several people got in touch offering more than my original target price.
Old 10 September 2008, 23:00   #5

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
sold a few boats and a 3yr old motorbike , all with auction and no reserve , the bidding went mad on all of them and I got more than expected .
No reserve seems to do the trick
Old 10 September 2008, 23:18   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
sold a few boats and a 3yr old motorbike , all with auction and no reserve , the bidding went mad on all of them and I got more than expected .
No reserve seems to do the trick
I totally agree - start it off at £0.99 and people get silly. Some naughty people always have a mate handy ready to bid just in case but you get caught for the fees then.

As for classifieds they have ruined EBAY!!!
Old 10 September 2008, 23:27   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
To avoid the auction being ruined by scammers it's a good idea not to have a buy it now price on there.

I wouldn't list a car for a couple of weeks though-there's a promo on vehicle listing fees soon (13th and 14th) and ebay will be flooded with cars. Good time to buy one though....

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2008, 03:37   #8

Town: Portsmouth
Length: no boat
cars ? ebay? can't wait for Tim to read this thread....
Old 11 September 2008, 18:44   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Indeed. I have bought and sold a number of cars, and quite a few boats.

I've only ever had trouble with two items. The first was a 1999 Vauxhal Astra which turned out to be two Astras welded together. I wouldn't have known until I crashed it and it nearly fell apart.

The second was quite recently, when I bought a Peugeot Partner Van. The chap listed it as being in great running order. However, it runs like a kangaroo on acid. I'm currently in the process of changing the fuel pump which is what I think is the problem. Heres hoping!

I think when it comes to buying, go and have a look first if you can. If you can't, have a good look at it when you get there, and take it for a test run. Don't pay for it before you see and drive it! If anything seems even remotely dodgy, walk away. Remember sellers cant leave buyers negative feedback any more, so apart from getting some verbal abuse as you walk away, you shouldn't have any repercussions.
Old 11 September 2008, 19:14   #10

Thanks for the feedback. I am gonna give it ago even though I live on The Island.
Old 11 September 2008, 19:55   #11

I think you'd get a lot more if you offered to deliver it to Portsmouth in the price - wouldn't cost you much and would certainly help to attract people who aren't too familiar with the ferry etc.
Old 11 September 2008, 19:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post

Remember sellers cant leave buyers negative feedback any more, so apart from getting some verbal abuse as you walk away, you shouldn't have any repercussions.
This is ruining Ebay - there are just as many dodgy customers out there as sellers - there can be some nasty malicious gits who can ruin a good sellers reputation for nothing - loads of good sellers are now turning their backs on Ebay - the high fees aren't helping either!!!
Old 11 September 2008, 20:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I think you'd get a lot more if you offered to deliver it to Portsmouth in the price - wouldn't cost you much and would certainly help to attract people who aren't too familiar with the ferry etc.
Good idea.
Old 11 September 2008, 20:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
This is ruining Ebay - there are just as many dodgy customers out there as sellers
I totally agree. I've always thought a much better way of doing it would be to have a system whereby neither party could see the others' feedback until both had left it. That way you'd reduce the number of people leaving negative as revenge.
Old 11 September 2008, 20:47   #15

Quote:
This is ruining Ebay - there are just as many dodgy customers out there as sellers - there can be some nasty malicious gits who can ruin a good sellers reputation for nothing - loads of good sellers are now turning their backs on Ebay - the high fees aren't helping either!!!
I think its a good rule . it makes sellers try harder to get things right and the buyer can be honest . i have been left Tit for tat bad feedback a few times now from sellers who sent me crap and withheld feedback until they saw what i had said . So if sellers are leaving then they are the ones that need to .
Old 11 September 2008, 21:41   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I think its a good rule . it makes sellers try harder to get things right and the buyer can be honest . i have been left Tit for tat bad feedback a few times now from sellers who sent me crap and withheld feedback until they saw what i had said . So if sellers are leaving then they are the ones that need to .
Not at all. Many people are both buyers and sellers so it hurts us both.

I have been a victim myself and I know many other sellers have as well. Even when you bend over backwards they still try it on!!!
Old 11 September 2008, 21:51   #17

I have never had a problem as a seller , advertised honestly with good photos send it fast for the right postage cost , what can go wrong offer money back if there is a problem .

I bought a suzuki jeep frome a scrote in Penryn last year . it had pics of the speedo showing mileage etc and looked very tidy for an old car .
When i got there it was complete heap of rust with bodged welding just completed and no underseal on it , when i drove it the gearbox was completely shagged and the speedo didn't even work , the guy got a little shirty when i didn't pay for it . and then asked ebay for a mutual withdrawal of sale from ebay to avaid costs. i went along with him or i would have got bad feedback . With the new rules i could have left him what he deserved .
Old 11 September 2008, 23:11   #18

What can go wrong?

I had a Yank order a box of lab glass off me. When I went to send it I found the postage costs had gone through the roof. i apologised and gave him a full refund. I told him I would get in touch when I found cheaper postage. After a month or so he ordered again even though I had told him not to. I gave him yet another FULL refund.

Believe it or not he ordered yet again and demanded I send it to him or he would cause me all sorts of problems.

I sent the glass to him and it l;eft me £40 out of pocket. he phoned me and said how happy he was with the glass and everything. I left him good feedback and then he went and left me some stinking feedback. I then left him some bad feedback. He then got someone else to pull the same stunt knowing I was honest and would always refund the money!!!

It ruined my account and caused probs for others as my Ebay account was frozen for a while.

2 negatives out of about 160 good ones and I have had to start a new account because of it.

And I am far from the only one!!!

That was with the old system - with the new one some idiot like this could do this to 100s of people and nobody would ever know!!!
Old 11 September 2008, 23:16   #19

Some interesting posts here on where Ebay are going VERY wrong.

http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_...rticleId=29009

"Has new CEO ruined Ebay" sums it up nicely!!!
Old 11 September 2008, 23:43   #20

Quote:
What can go wrong?

I had a Yank order a box of lab glass off me. When I went to send it I found the postage costs had gone through the roof. i apologised and gave him a full refund. I told him I would get in touch when I found cheaper postage. After a month or so he ordered again even though I had told him not to. I gave him yet another FULL refund.

Believe it or not he ordered yet again and demanded I send it to him or he would cause me all sorts of problems.

I sent the glass to him and it l;eft me £40 out of pocket. he phoned me and said how happy he was with the glass and everything. I left him good feedback and then he went and left me some stinking feedback. I then left him some bad feedback. He then got someone else to pull the same stunt knowing I was honest and would always refund the money!!!

It ruined my account and caused probs for others as my Ebay account was frozen for a while.

2 negatives out of about 160 good ones and I have had to start a new account because of it.

And I am far from the only one!!!

That was with the old system - with the new one some idiot like this could do this to 100s of people and nobody would ever know!!!
Surely you put UK postage only in your ad then those sort of problems don't happen ? i have never got involved with overseas postage although i have had enquiries for how much .