Old 23 March 2007, 11:40   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
DVD recorders

I ordered a nice LCD TV for my parents a couple of weeks ago, and went home last weekend to set it up. The picture quality is very good (hd) plus it has built a built in digi box. Because of this they want to replace their VCR with a DVD recorder. I had a brief look around at DVD recorders and none of the ones I have looked at say anything about built in digital. Surly if we hook a standard DVD recorder up it will only be able to record channels 1-5 as it will only work on the old analogue signals....

My question is, is the above correct? Are most DVD recorders going to be obsolete in a few years when analogue is switched off. And, more importantly, which DVD recorders currently have a built in digital decoder which I can use to record digital stuff?!
Old 23 March 2007, 19:27   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Mine has scart in which gives it the ability to record from sky or a freeview box. then scart out to the TV.

So no it won't be obsolete in a few years time. But it might be if it has to record HD TV at some future date. But thats a personal choice.

You can pick them up for £70. So your not going to lose much money anyway. Buy one with progressive scan seeing as you have a HD TV and you will get better pictures shown on your new telly when you play normal DVDs.

The progressive scan acts like an upscaler to give you a better picture on your higher than CRT LCD TV.