Old 13 June 2012, 20:09   #41

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Nice one! You should "bag" a few more!
Don't start me off. In our local park a woman got out of her car and let out her dog which proceeded to have a m a s s i v e dump in front of the gate to the under 9's play area - to the extent that she had to walk around the dog (effectively treating the dump as a mini roundabout).

Since she made no attempt to clear up, I cleared up with the bags I carry for our dogs and 'decorated' her car (windscreen, door handles) with the contents.

When - out of guilt - I confessed to our copper neighbour, he nearly wet himself laughing. No paperwork. No confrontation. She won't do it again. How he wished he was able to mete such justice.
Old 13 June 2012, 20:29   #42

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
Don't start me off. In our local park a woman got out of her car and let out her dog which proceeded to have a m a s s i v e dump in front of the gate to the under 9's play area - to the extent that she had to walk around the dog (effectively treating the dump as a mini roundabout).

Since she made no attempt to clear up, I cleared up with the bags I carry for our dogs and 'decorated' her car (windscreen, door handles) with the contents.

When - out of guilt - I confessed to our copper neighbour, he nearly wet himself laughing. No paperwork. No confrontation. She won't do it again. How he wished he was able to mete such justice.
So you throw shit at peoples cars when they are driving ... daub them with shit when they arent ... and your local copper thinks thats all fine just cos you know him ? arent you as guilty of an offence by any other name just like a common speeder ?
Old 13 June 2012, 20:31   #43

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
So you throw shit at peoples cars when they are driving ... daub them with shit when they arent ... and your local copper thinks thats all fine just cos you know him ? arent you as guilty of an offence by any other name just like a common speeder ?
Yep. But using my dog's DNA rather than mine.

I bet they don't do it again.
Old 13 June 2012, 23:58   #44

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:

Don't tell me!.....As a child you used to wrap dog poo in newspaper and set it alight on peoples doorsteps, ring the bell and run away?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2012, 00:51   #45

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:

So you have surrendered any moral high ground you may have had.

You tell us how bad speeding is, and the possible consequences, and I agree with you on that, it is not acceptable, but.....

You then describe how, when seeing a dangerously speeding motorist, you throw a big steaming bag of dog crap at him! this will make the situation much safer of course!! Had this out of control motorist gone on to plough into a bunch of schoolkids on the seafront, you would have been at best guilty of Manslaughter. this action was infinately more dangerous than the person speeding alone!

You then describe how you see someone commiting an offense, so instead of politely pointing out her error, and offering her one of your bags, you go on to commit criminal damage. What would happen if one of those little kids grabbed the car door handle after leaving the park........

I of course condemn people who leave dog crap all ove rthe place, as it is one of my pet hates, but a bigger pet hate is hypocrites!

at least my flashing my lights at a speeding motorist is not making the situation worse.

Of course you could have reported the person whose dog fouled the pavement to the local authorities, as you propose it it the proper authorities who need to take action, so they can be fined for this offence.
Old 14 June 2012, 06:22   #46

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Talking of pet hates, I had a bind date go horribly wrong the other night, she asked me 'what's your pet hate' and I said it doesn't like having things shoved up its arse.
Old 14 June 2012, 07:16   #47

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto

So you have surrendered any moral high ground you may have had.

You tell us how bad speeding is, and the possible consequences, and I agree with you on that, it is not acceptable, but.....

You then describe how, when seeing a dangerously speeding motorist, you throw a big steaming bag of dog crap at him! this will make the situation much safer of course!! Had this out of control motorist gone on to plough into a bunch of schoolkids on the seafront, you would have been at best guilty of Manslaughter. this action was infinately more dangerous than the person speeding alone!

You then describe how you see someone commiting an offense, so instead of politely pointing out her error, and offering her one of your bags, you go on to commit criminal damage. What would happen if one of those little kids grabbed the car door handle after leaving the park........

I of course condemn people who leave dog crap all ove rthe place, as it is one of my pet hates, but a bigger pet hate is hypocrites!

at least my flashing my lights at a speeding motorist is not making the situation worse.

Of course you could have reported the person whose dog fouled the pavement to the local authorities, as you propose it it the proper authorities who need to take action, so they can be fined for this offence.
I have to say, I think it shows you as a hypocrite there fella!

Instead of "politely pointing out their offence" your actually aiding and abetting the speeding driver to get away with his criminal offence by warning him, so he won't get caught if you seen a bank being robbed would you warn the robber the police were on their way ? Or if you seen somebody breaking the law would you warn them if they were about to get caught ?

Perhaps he should have simply warned this lady that there may be somebody watching ready to fine her for her offence so she could have got away with it, free to do it again next time ?

You say it's not making it worse, I disagree. The guy you "saved" may will kill somebody further down that road. The lady with the dog mess is quite unlikely to do that again!

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 14 June 2012, 07:38   #48

Duplicated!
Old 14 June 2012, 07:39   #49

Exactly, how many of us would warn a drink driver?
Old 14 June 2012, 08:37   #50

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Exactly, how many of us would warn a drink driver?

May be this thread has had its time and should just finish???

Perhaps we could move on to more fun marine type issues that we all have in common.

Or we could all just agree that Landrovers are the best 4X4XFAR
Old 14 June 2012, 09:01   #51

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post

Or we could all just agree that Landrovers are the best 4X4XFAR
Old 14 June 2012, 10:12   #52

Town: Devon. uk
Boat name: bananashark
Make: me
Length: 7m +
Engine: opti 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Sign of the times (pardon the pun). It's to advise impatient motorists it cannot go any faster!

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
You're missing my point Peter, are we not all restricted to 70MPH.

As for landy best 4x4x whatever, they are like harley davidsons. All the people who own them and swear by them seem to have changed soooo many parts to make them good that they aint what they was.
Old 14 June 2012, 10:31   #53

Yes we are but my point is everybody now seems to think different so when they are "stuck" behind such a restricted truck them get irate and expect him to get out of the way etc. that's why these signs are used!

He may be but your not restricted to 70, you can choose to break the law. He's physically forced to that limit, perhaps I'd we all were then this debate would not be open!

Anyway I agree, case closed!
Old 14 June 2012, 16:23   #54

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Get nicked, did we? Pay attention or pay a fine...
Never been nicked but had to pay some speeding fines, there are other very poorly designed speed traps that reduce the safety of roads in Leicestershire so sadly I do not subscribe to the idea that they are doing a valiant and missunderstood job.

Now if Messrs Gatso and co can design a camera that takes a picture when some knobhead is on their mobile, that might be a useful contribution.

I did not realise that some red traffic light camera operators tie the police and council into a contract that forbids them from altering the timings of amber - and that's not about revenue gathering.....
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2012, 16:33   #55

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Last year in our local rag there was an artical about a motorist at a red light who moved forward over the line in rush hour traffic to let an ambulance through while on blues and twos. He got prosecuted by the police as the camera flashed him, he appealed and lost, the police said that emergency vehicles are trained for this kind of thing and that he should have stayed put.

Next time your at a red light and a police car has sirens blazing just stay put, and if they can't get through, see what happens.... you probably would be prosecuted for failing to let an emergency vehicle get past you
Old 14 June 2012, 19:41   #56

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
First point I will make is that I drive fast cars and I'm no angel but last time I got caught by camera I was offered a speeding awareness course as an option. I took it and found it fascinating, yes there is no content not covered in driving lessons but lets just say that was a few years ago!! Most memorable bit was that a safety camera can only be put where there have been three deaths in five years ( from memory) and a mobile one if there has been one death. Ergo, they are trying to regulate speed in dangerous places.

If you get offered it I suggest attending with an open mind. It made me think for sure!
Old 15 June 2012, 08:04   #57

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Luke McCormack killed the family as he was DRUNK! excess speed was not the factor, if sober it is likely he'd have seen them and slowed down, or avoided them.

We have cars designed to go over 80 as in certain conditions it's safer to accelerate past something or on to a slip road when needed.

Plus speed limits vary across Europe.

What happened to judgement? There aren't speed limits generally on the water, but we take care. Oh sorry, forgot, we are all incapable of making our own decisions.

Personally in a modern decent car, 100mph on a quiet motorway is less dangerous than old Landrovers at the speed limit anywhere!!
Old 15 June 2012, 08:16   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL
Peter

What happened to judgement? There aren't speed limits generally on the water, but we take care. Oh sorry, forgot, we are all incapable of making our own decisions.
We are capable of making our own decisions and should likewise be capable of the consequences of those decisions. Luke DECIDED to drive after a heavy night on it, he choose to break the law. No different to speeding which is also a criminal offence. It's not for us to decide which is more "criminal". By choosing to speed we have to accept the consequences, be it a fine, points, sentence etc. That's all I'm saying. I do (speed nor drink/drive) on the odd occasion and balance the risk accordingly.

Cannot help thinking if this was on a river and it was speeding jet skis going past us ribs we'd all expect them to be fined or taken off the water. If a yachtie warned them the HM was up river we'd all kick up a stink and feel it better they got caught. Where's the difference ?

Old 15 June 2012, 10:38   #59

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Right oh! I've been biting my tongue until now, but I'll wade in with my thoughts on the subject. First of all, I don't claim to hold any moral high ground, people in high places fall further. I've had my share of speeding tickets & have just successfully defended another in court, which is the reason I've kept quiet, I didn't want to tempt fate. I've attended a speed awareness course which, if you sifted out the patronising cr4p was quite informative, especially the bits about how to identify different speed limits without signs & where speed cameras like to lurk. I genuinely try to obey the speed limits, with the amount of traffic on the roads, there is little advantage to speeding, you still end up doing the average speed for the traffic on that road. How many times has some w4nker passed you only for you to catch him up at the next lights / roundabout?
Here's my point. If as we all like to claim, it's just about revenue raising, then let's put the thieving b4st4rds out of business. Don't speed, it's that simple, if it's for no other reason than to deprive them of revenue. Whilst ever they keep collecting millions in fines, they will only grow in numbers. It's a business pure & simple & like any business opportunity, if there's money to be made, someone will. Take away the revenue, business closes, simples Similarly if that business fails to deliver on it's terms & conditions i.e RTOA 1988, don't just accept it, fight for your money as you would with any other business that failed in its obligations, don't make it easy by just rolling over & paying up.

There, I feel better now I'm off for a lie down in a dark room with a cold flannel.

PS Chucking bags of dog sh1t at passing cars is just plain stupid, if the speeding wasn't bad enough, the speeder now has an unkown object flying at his windscreen, lucky he didn't swerve into you & your kids.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 10:55   #60

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Did Willk do it when the car was moving? Or just smear it on when parked? The former stupid, the latter fine IMHO.