Old 10 September 2007, 14:20   #1

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
i shout 'Oi watch out. Whats this f*cking knobhead think he's doing?'
Reply from his wife-'That's my husband'...
Sadly the gentle days of messing about in boats having fun seems to be over.

Surely no incident can be an excuse for shouting obsceneties in front of families with children.

It is simply yobbish behaviour for those lacking the ability and intelligence to quietly discuss and resolve any disputes and finishing up with a handshake.

What hope is there for the future of the civility of this activity when kids witness an adult behaving in this way?

And the really sad thing is that he appears to be proud of himself by posting this story for all to read...
Old 10 September 2007, 14:41   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post

Surely no incident can be an excuse for shouting obsceneties in front of families with children.

It is simply yobbish behaviour for those lacking the ability and intelligence to quietly discuss and resolve any disputes and finishing up with a handshake.

What hope is there for the future of the civility of this activity when kids witness an adult behaving in this way?

And the really sad thing is that he appears to be proud of himself by posting this story for all to read...
The really sad part is that people don't seem to be able to queue or wait for 5 mins, if the person in front is a little slower than expected or god forbid actually offer to help them with their boat.
The civility left the rest of the queue on this occasion when the few jumped to the front as they had landed on the slip (as they could see a queue of boats on the pontoon) blocking it for all then allowed their children & dogs to run around behind boats and trailers as they prepared their boats for recovery.

But each to his own, only my view
Old 10 September 2007, 17:08   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:

So next time I see someone reversing fast in a manner not akin to a rabid snake towards my tow vehicle and my girlfriend who's standing behind it and is going to get crushed when he hits it I'll just sit there, 60 feet away and say 'oh my' and shake his hand afterwards shall I?

If you were there Timw then you've got the right to comment on my language. As you weren't then I'd appreciate it if you got very carefully off your horse as it's quite a long way up.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2007, 19:28   #4

Quote:
If you were there Timw then you've got the right to comment on my language. As you weren't then I'd appreciate it if you got very carefully off your horse as it's quite a long way up.
You seem quite pleased to post the language you were using on a public forum, so I have every right to comment on it.

Using expletives such as those you shouted is inexcuseable in front of families and children.

You may have been urgently trying to alert, but most people on a day out simply don't want to hear that sort of language.

And yes if I was there I would have told you the same thing.
Old 10 September 2007, 20:05   #5

Town: Near Bristol
Boat name: Titch ll
Make: Ribtec 5.85
Length: 5m +
Engine: Optimax 115
MMSI: 235054217
Quote:
You seem quite pleased to post the language you were using on a public forum, so I have every right to comment on it.

Using expletives such as those you shouted is inexcuseable in front of families and children.

You may have been urgently trying to alert, but most people on a day out simply don't want to hear that sort of language.

As the Dude would say

The dude abides
Old 10 September 2007, 20:05   #6
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
You seem quite pleased to post the language you were using on a public forum,
Really? Where exactly does it say that?

Quote:
Even though the kids were using worse language...
Quote:

Diddums. Don't be an incompetent slug and I won't swear at you.
Quote:
Really? I doubt it.

Old 10 September 2007, 21:14   #7

In reply

1) You seen eager to tell the story and your writing appears to show a puff of pride in your tale.

2) Using the excuse that children were using worse language than you is ne
beneath contempt. They look to adults for an example, and although many set a bad example there is no need to join them. There were no doubt many decent families on the slipway that day who shouldn't be subjected to such behaviour.

3) So being incompetent deserves a shouted expletive? No it doesn't.

4) You doubt it? Perhaps yobbish behaviour by shouting swear words is supposed to frighten objectors away. It doesn't worry me...and I repeat if I was there, I would have asked you to stop.
Old 10 September 2007, 21:32   #8
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
In reply

More self-important guff

You bore me. You bang on at everyone without any idea of the real facts and add your own suppositions to 'prove' your points.

We don't need a self-important moral guardian.

Old 10 September 2007, 21:37   #9

Obviously pictures are a little easier for you. Well done.
Old 10 September 2007, 22:38   #10

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Don't worry Mat Ill jump on the bike in the Morning and pop down to Penmarlem appologise for your behavior and put a penny in the swear box , Caja may also need some counceling iam afarid as she could have heard me say "Look at that plonker in the subaru"
be sure to turn the telly off before 6 in the evening incase the kids hear some words they haven't heard before .
Old 10 September 2007, 23:22   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Looking at the heading shouldn't this be in the North American section???
Old 11 September 2007, 07:03   #12

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Actually...I'm sort of with TimW on this one....shock, horror.... I work in the Engineering trade and therefore know lots of interesting variations on phrases for "Excuse me, my good fellow, but I think you may have made a smallish error, there.." and as such, find that I’m using more and more expletives in everyday life…and I AM embarrassed… but because I use so many at work it has become a habit.. one of which I’m not proud.
I do think that the increasing use of profanity and expletives on television and in films has numbed us to their effect and it is now common to hear youngsters and I mean children, not “Yoofs” using bad language as an everyday method of communication….and worse is that we all tolerate it because we’re as guilty as they are… ho-hum…

Am I getting old?
Old 11 September 2007, 08:35   #13

Quote:
We don't need a self-important moral guardian.
And who exactly is "We"? Do you speak on behalf of others in some sort of vitual club or clique you are in?

Jono is right...the tide of foul language is embarrassing. It can be turned if adults set an example to children.

In previous posts, you go to great lengths to distance yourself from (and I hate to use the media popular word) Chavs.

So may I suggest you stop being one and behave appropriately at occasions where families are present.
Old 11 September 2007, 11:51   #14

Town: Uphall
Boat name: Iona
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Optimax 115
MMSI: 235053483
I'm with Nos - if someone's heading in a car towards me or one of mine - then the actual language used would be of secondary importance to getting the message across.

and I think Nos was actually quite restrained!
Old 11 September 2007, 12:32   #15
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Actually...I'm sort of with TimW on this one...

an mee az wel. de bastud iz rite. fowl langwij inn a pubic plaice iz jus nott on.

itts fkin ileegul az wel

gaRf
Old 11 September 2007, 12:49   #16

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Cod... was that a slam? Curse you for pointing us out yet again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Looking at the heading shouldn't this be in the North American section???
It's the Queens english Cod, where do you think it properly belongs? Too many people use slang/curse words unfortunately, spread through television, music and movies and general use. I have heard the origins of the F word were that it stood for "fornication under consent of king". Anyone care to comment on that to enlighten our posters? In any case swearing around women and especially children is of course in poor taste. I have slipped myself on occasion, generally followed by an apology, no individual is perfect...
By the way, would a chav be a general description for any social misfit or does this describe a certain ethnicity? That slang term is not in use here and I have never heard anyone use it...
Old 11 September 2007, 13:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
It's the Queens english Cod, where do you think it properly belongs? Too many people use slang/curse words unfortunately, spread through television, music and movies and general use. I have heard the origins of the F word were that it stood for "fornication under consent of king". Anyone care to comment on that to enlighten our posters? In any case swearing around women and especially children is of course in poor taste. I have slipped myself on occasion, generally followed by an apology, no individual is perfect...
By the way, would a chav be a general description for any social misfit or does this describe a certain ethnicity? That slang term is not in use here and I have never heard anyone use it...
The F-word come from the phrase "Found under Carnal Knowledge" which came from a period in Ireland's history, that when a couple were caught fornicating in public, like under a bush or somewhere, this was the phrase written in the charge book in the police stations, hence the initials resulting in today's f-word.

"Chav" is derived from "Cheltenham Average" the term used by the pupils of the highly expensive and exclusive Cheltenham Ladies College, about some of the poorer townspeople who they considered "lower class".
Old 11 September 2007, 14:01   #18
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
The F-word come from the phrase "Found under Carnal Knowledge"
Oh no it doesn't!

Quote:
"Chav" is derived from "Cheltenham Average" the term used by the pupils of the highly expensive and exclusive Cheltenham Ladies College, about some of the poorer townspeople who they considered "lower class".
Not sure that's right either!

John
Old 11 September 2007, 14:09   #19

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
The F-word come from the phrase "Found under Carnal Knowledge" which came from a period in Ireland's history, that when a couple were caught fornicating in public, like under a bush or somewhere, this was the phrase written in the charge book in the police stations, hence the initials resulting in today's f-word.

I tend to agree with your view on the 'over' use of offensive language but, I dont know where you got these word derivations from? The 'F' word I always thought derived from some Anglo Saxon utterance and 'Chav'or 'Chavie' is Romany for child.
Old 11 September 2007, 14:09   #20

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Am I getting old?

Well, well, well- the great Jono now looking in the mirror... and not happy with the reflection?????

Join the gang brother.. Got that Zimmer yet??

Jonathan