Old 01 October 2005, 20:37   #1

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Diving - BSAC or PADI

Is the best route to get in to Diving PADI or BSAC?

Whats the advantages / disadvantages of either?
Old 02 October 2005, 10:01   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I'm not a diver but hopefully will be soon...

From what I've seen of the training manuals so far (I was asking the question myself a few weeks ago as I intend to start training this winter) then I'm going to go with BSAC.From what I can see you have to do a lot more training to get the equivalent BSAC grades compared with PADI-and I'm really not into the idea of screwing up 25m underwater and getting decompression sickness-or worse.

My girlfriend is BSAC trained and thinks they are the mutts nuts....so it's not exactly an unbiased decision though.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2005, 10:12   #3

Town: Ramsgate
Boat name: Morpheus
Make: XS 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc Opti 125
PADI will make you a Qualified diver in a week at a cost of £250 to £300 without the cost of buying equipment.BSAC will take up to six months and you will have to buy equipment.
Old 02 October 2005, 11:07   #4

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
PADI is world wide recognised. You will not have problems going diving anywhere in the world with this certificate.

It's true that you will not learn the same with 7 days off Padi training as you will with 6 month BSAC, but I guess that makes sense.

You will however after the 7 days off Padi training be a qualified diver ready to take care off your self. And you will learn all the skills needed for diving within the limits of this certificate. (max 18 meters OWD).

Regards
Rene (IDCS 503368)
Old 02 October 2005, 11:48   #5

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Its has been my experience having dived in four countries (with paddi)You will only be as good as the training your given to be a competant diver you will have put that little bit extra in yourself .But most of it is common sense and know your limitations.You sea experience will hold you in good stead.It is true Paddi will qualify you far quicker just sign your disclaimer Ha Ha.We are both qualified advanced divers under paddy but the day we pasted i was very pleased but i dont think their is any way you could compare that to an advanced BSAC diver
Old 02 October 2005, 12:54   #6

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton
Is the best route to get in to Diving PADI or BSAC?

Whats the advantages / disadvantages of either?

I started with BSAC... moved to a local SAA club then converted to PADI quals purely because of their universal recognition. It's the quality of the training and instructors that matters, not the name on your ticket...
Old 02 October 2005, 13:59   #7

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I have heard That to be BSAC diver the most important dive equipment is set of spanners crowbar wrench gas cutting torch club hammor for those wreck dives
Old 02 October 2005, 15:15   #8
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by no fear
I have heard That to be BSAC diver the most important dive equipment is set of spanners crowbar wrench gas cutting torch club hammor for those wreck dives
That's down to the club/individuals doing the diving. A BSAC muppet looks pretty much the same as a PADI muppet.

I did my BSAC sports diver a while ago (10 years?) - it took a long time to do it and the training was very good and thorough. On honeymoon we did the PADI/SSSI course - 4 days to get to an open water diver qualification. No way you can compare the two in terms of the preparedness (is that a real word) of the divers.

However - the instructor (and I) were impressed that I could remember almost everything from my BSAC course - that's how thorough it was!!

IMHO - I depends on how quickly you want the ticket. When I go to renew all my dive qualifications it will be with BSAC.

D...
Old 02 October 2005, 15:33   #9

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
As I type we are steaming up the sound of Mull in a dive boat full of 12 people will all kinds of qualifications ..... they are all very capable as they have experience. That's what counts, recognise it takes hundreds of dives and in varied conditions to become experienced, you never stop learning. Recognise your limits and don't push them too hard in too bigger steps and you will be doing the right thing. Just cause it says you are advanced on your qual does not mean you are!! Do any any course PADI, BASC whatever, and then get diving with somebody that knows what they are doing .... that's when you really start to learn ...

And for the divers among you here are some pics from today in the sound of mull. Yesterday we dived the Rondo, and when we surfaced it was blowing a force 8!! All a little wild. For those people who know my boat buddy Ricky, he is the one jumping in, in the pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rn1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	14742   Click image for larger version

Name:	rn2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	14743   Click image for larger version

Name:	rn3.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	14744   Click image for larger version

Name:	rn4.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	14745  

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2005, 16:09   #10

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
For those people who know my boat buddy Ricky, he is the one jumping in, in the pics below:
Is Ricky going diving with tanks on his back, or his he flying off 007 style with a jet-pack on his back?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2005, 20:17   #11

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Is Ricky going diving with tanks on his back, or his he flying off 007 style with a jet-pack on his back?
Mixed gas closed circuit rebreather with side slung decompression stage. The Rondo is 48.6m at which depth decompression quickly builds up. By increasing the oxygen / nitrogen ratio the nitrogen is off gassed more quickly allowing the diver to surface sooner. The rebreather allows the oxygen to be recycled reducing the quantity you need to carry. However its a major investment in training and equipment but the good news is that without paper qualifications you won't even get the cylinders filled let alone buy a new one or step on board a dive boat and long may it continue.

Jono, find out is there is a local BSAC club near to you and go along and talk to them. Ask them how often they dive, were they dive and think about if they are the sort of peeps you would like to dive with regually. To talk with them and do an "pool experience dive" is normally free. If you like what they offer look organised and professional then you won't go far wrong. BSAC clubs are organised by volunteers, tend to meet weekly and organise local diving and holidays etc. PADI whilst often being very professional with set worldwide standards and sylabus is an organisation for diving instructors. they don't offer the same club "benefits" that the BSAC do. As Jono pointed out you can however cross over from most diving organisations to another quite easily and many divers hold dual qualifications.

chat with a local BSAC branch first and if not to your liking then off to the Red Sea for a week for a PADI qual.

http://www.bsac.com/index.html
Old 02 October 2005, 20:39   #12

Pete, joke!

Hey, but good explanation anyway.
Old 02 October 2005, 21:32   #13

Quote:
Pete, joke!
not at 50m when you are an hour and half away from the surface and it cuts your decompression time in half. If I also tell you the decompression tables are purely theoretical mathematical models based on ficticious body tissue types that don't actually exist, you do hope that the guy who programmed the computers didn't have a hangover that day

Sadly I am to old for this techie stuff, I prefer a big twin cylinder rig which when its empty you get to meet your maker

Quote:
Hey, but good explanation anyway.
Thanx
Old 02 October 2005, 21:38   #14

jet pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
not at 50m when you are an hour and half away from the surface
Is that 50m above or below the surface?
Old 02 October 2005, 21:41   #15

Quote:
Is that 50m above or below the surface?
Get the helium / oxygen / nitrogen ratios wrong because you were mixing it yourself in your garage and you probably won't be able to tell the difference, but the outcome is likely to be the same.
Old 02 October 2005, 21:44   #16

oops another thread gone off on a tangent, so stick to breathing air, take only photos and leave only bubbles
Old 03 October 2005, 06:54   #17

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
oops another thread gone off on a tangent, so stick to breathing air, take only photos and leave only bubbles
Unless it's a really, really juicy looking lobster......
Old 03 October 2005, 07:41   #18

Shussss, you will have them Welsh fishermen up in arms again, its taken them 20 years to forget about the one Smudge took out of that lobster pot at 20 meters
Old 03 October 2005, 08:50   #19

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Now there’s a wonderful can of worms you are trying to open!

As already stated it all depends on the level of training you get, & what you want out of your diving.
I belong to an independent club that conducts its own training; being independent we have had people join us from various training organisations (BSAC, PADI, SAA, & CMAS) & others who have joined us with no experience & trained with us.
We have come across good & bad from all of them, we have had people join the club with advanced certificates & they couldn’t swim one length of the pool, while others have come with minimum training & been very good.
You may find some BSAC divers are a little bias against PADI we have all heard the jokes (what does PADI stand for? Put Another Dollar In or worse still is Pay And Die Instantly) and this sort of thing has obviously caused some resentment between PADI & BSAC.
I personally have been through BSAC sport diver, PADI open water & our own clubs training so hopefully I’m not bias in any way.

The thing to remember is 6 months of BSAC training (of 1 or 2 hours a week) is not a lot different to 4 full days with PADI. The problem seams to come from people doing their training while on holiday, some have told me they got their open water ticket after only 1 hour in the class room followed by 2 dives. (One of these said his first dive was at 35metres on a wreck)
Many of our members who joined our club after training with PADI have said they like being part of a club & liked being able to get in the pool every week to build on their skills (they found most PADI clubs were just meeting places to talk about diving). But a club atmosphere is not to everyone’s taste some people just want to get on a charter boat & dive, while others like to dive & socialize as much as possible.

As already stated PADI certificates are accepted all over the world, but then again so is BSAC. We had a funny experience a few years a go where someone joined our club with a PADI open water certificate he got a couple of years a go, he hadn’t been diving before joining our club & after he finished our training he went to the Red Sea on his own to go diving. He went to the dive centre & showed his PADI ticket & said he wanted to go diving, the woman looked at it & said this is quite old have you been diving since getting it. His reply was “yes I belong to an independent club but you won’t know them” she then asked if he had his logbook to prove he had been diving. As he took it out of his pocket she laughed & said “Oh Swanley Sub Aqua Club that will do fine” he said but you haven’t even looked at it she said “I don’t need to, I started diving with them years a go & know their standard of training & if you can get through training I know you wont have a problem here!”

So to summarize:
If you want to go diving quickly & don’t mind paying for it; PADI is the route (but avoid anyone who tells you “it only takes a day to get your ticket”) PADI open water should take 3 to 4 days, the first 2 days are split 50/50 between the classroom & a pool. The second part is spent mainly in open water (usually 4 dives over 2 days in the UK but this may be done in 1 day if in warm water)

If you are not in a hurry & don’t mind training through the winter to get ready for that all important holiday next year then I would go for joining a club.

The decision is yours but please do remember dive within your limits & keep it safe!
Old 03 October 2005, 09:51   #20

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwabbit
--SNIP--
The second part is spent mainly in open water (usually 4 dives over 2 days in the UK but this may be done in 1 day if in warm water)

-- SNIP --
The decision is yours but please do remember dive within your limits & keep it safe!
I'm sorry but You can't do all the dive's in one day, not even if the water is warm. PADI standards says that you can only complete a maximum of 3 open water dives a day. And the Standards of the OWD tell you that you have to use 2 days of openwater training. Each dive lasting more than 20 min.

I don't have the PADI manual here at work so I don't remember the depth of the 4 dives. ( I will look into this if anyone want's to know.

The quote about diving within you own limits is spot on, and goes for all levels. If you are not sure about the dive, say so....

Regards
Rene