Old 29 August 2012, 17:45   #21

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
We are also seriously considering giving up the tent and getting a caravan for next year, mainly for the extra comfort of an ‘almost’ proper bed, not needing to tramp across a field early in the morning for a wee, and the extra comfort when the weather is bad.

As mentioned the main issue for us is not being able to tow the RIB as well, but the site we use in Devon will let me drop the van down a couple of weeks before our holiday and store it for a very small fee, then look after it for a couple of weeks after as well. Sounds like an excuse for a couple of weekends away as well.

As the’ not so smaller’ Nashers are growing up quickly the issue I’ve noticed is the size of the beds in some vans. My 15yr old is 6’1” already, and wouldn’t fit in most of the bunks.

On the other hand, a 25’ long twin axle van @6yrs old with all the mod cons and a huge Awning that’s only been used 2 weeks a year can be found for @£7K if looked for hard enough.

Nasher.
My parents recently bought a little-used Bailey Senator Louisiana (big twin axle job). They were after something big and comfortable they can tow around Europe. It can sleep four very comfortably - would be good for a family with two kids. Totally separate double bedroom at the back (full sized double bed with access all the way round the sides), bathroom with separate shower cubicle, saloon with two large twin berths (I'm a little over 6ft and can fit in these). All for a little over £10k with warranty.

The double bed lifts up on gas struts to reveal an enormous storage area - you could get a decent sized inflatable in here.
Old 29 August 2012, 20:51   #22

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Dont get one with a rear kitchen or bathroom. Get one with a nice big opening back window and then you can load your boaty gear thru there. Kayaks, paddles, windsurfers, big sail bags, masts all went thru there for various trips. If ya dont want a huge van keep the inner tent from frame tent and use that in the awning...the kids prefer to be out there away from the grown ups anyway. Well thats what we told 'em. Then you get away with a lot smaller lump to drag around.
Old 29 August 2012, 21:36   #23

Town: Bristol/Devon
Boat name: Nella
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 130
All great advice - thanks guys, particularly like the tip about the rear window for loading.

Still got some work to do to convince SWMBO that this is the way forward!
Old 29 August 2012, 23:08   #24

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: BENJ5
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90hp
If you've a decent sized tow car then get a Hymer, try to get one with a motor mover as there bloody heavy.

« Oban bound. | Top | Muvi »