Old 04 February 2006, 08:35   #21

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
Have you done pass-plus? Norwich union give young drivers a 50% discount with it.
Are you positive it is 50% just for doing Pass Plus? When I looked last night, they said they would give you a maximum discount of 30% if you had done Pass Plus.
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2006, 12:25   #22

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
Lucky you! But that is not always the case. See above!
Yeh I know. But it didn't seem fair that you gave the impression it was likely to be the case. My present car is starting it's 3rd year with them and the premium is £298, fully comp, protected bonus and legal cover included.

SAGA insure the Disco for £195 but one needs to be an old git.

Or maybe not. I didn't try them when I was a young git.
Old 04 February 2006, 12:57   #23

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
i think you have to be over 85 for SAGA don't you?!

hehe, sorry couldn't resist
Old 04 February 2006, 13:04   #24
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
SAGA insure the Disco for £195 but one needs to be an old git
Saga offered the best quote for my Pajero but I just couldn't bring myself to press the accept button.

DM
Old 04 February 2006, 13:12   #25

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
But it didn't seem fair that you gave the impression it was likely to be the case.
I'm sorry you read it that way but, as I said, I can only speak from my own (& Richard's) experience. Other insurers we have been with before and since have not suddenly increased the premium by such a large percentage in the way that we have both experienced with NU. Maybe NU just didn't like us!

My own 70% NCD and Richard's 70% NCD have both been built up the 'standard' way, whereby a year's claim-free insurance cover gives us a year's worth of NCD. This makes it very straightforward to change insurance companies if your current insurer hikes up the price. In my previous posts I was simply trying to put across that, as Tim is considering a 'Bonus Accelerator' scheme, he should make sure that it will be honoured by other companies if he did want or need to change insurers after his initial 9 month insurance period. Otherwise he could lose out in the long run.

I was only trying to help!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2006, 13:46   #26

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i think insurance companies are only interested in the number of claim free years insurance has been held rather than what % another or previous company had given. so any accelerator is only any use for the company giving it.

I dont think there are really any loopholes out there. Its all marketing..
Old 04 February 2006, 15:10   #27

right, just got off the phone to NU and if I take the bonus accelerator policy and I decide to leave them after my 9 months, they will give me a certificate to say I have had 9 months no claims...so basically I won't be able to say I have had a year!

The woman on the phone also told me that its 52% discount for 1 years no claims with NU. So I asked if I could expect to pay around 50% less than £500 odd next year, she said yes but I'm not completely convinced she knew what she was on about.

Endsleigh made a follow up call and seem to have a good service, but their premium is £692 and they don't provide 3rd party trailer cover....what a nightmare!
Old 04 February 2006, 15:19   #28

churchill seem ok. Just phoned them and they cover the trailer AND the boat for third party AND they cover it if it comes detached from the car! Its also about the same price as NU.

Anyone with churchill?
Old 04 February 2006, 18:24   #29

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
Are you positive it is 50% just for doing Pass Plus? When I looked last night, they said they would give you a maximum discount of 30% if you had done Pass Plus.
Maybe they have changed their policy recently, but I definatly get 50% off for having it.
Old 04 February 2006, 19:49   #30

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Often these discounts for whatever are a scam - shopping around often gets you a cheaper policy with NO discounts than those that SEEM to offer great savings.

Loads of factors can alter your insurance premiums. Now obviously you can't lie to the insuarance company - they don't need much of an excuse to wriggle out of paying - but you can bend the truth a little.

For example they don't like students so tell them you are a gardner or shop assistant or whatever - just go around and cut a few old biddies lawns!!! They don't tend to like IT consultants either so if you have your own firm just say your a company executive or director.

Also postcodes can make a massive difference. My home address is in a far higher risk group than my mate who lives 300 yds away - doesn't make sense. I now keep my LandRover at my office address because it is a far cheaper area.
Old 05 February 2006, 00:32   #31

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
Saga offered the best quote for my Pajero but I just couldn't bring myself to press the accept button.

You've just got to grit your teeth and do it.

Actually, SAGA have a nice wee addition to their policy. If you are unable to drive your car for some reason, they will insure another person to drive your car for the purpose of returning you home. No, being drunk wouldn't count. I think it's intended for returning you and the vehicle home should you have an accident.

They also do boat insurance. Their quote wasn't the lowest but it was good, the policy seemed comprehensive and easily allowed cruising away from home. The lady I spoke to was very clued up.