Old 23 July 2010, 08:21   #1

Town: Portland, Dorset
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Camp sites West Wales

Can anyone suggest a fairly laid back campsite in the Saundersfoot area which doesn't mind groups / potentially slightly drunk people ? All the ones which advertise seem very quiet, family friendly places which I wouldn't want to disturb. Obviously not somewhere completely horrid where the boats going to get stolen or slashed, but I've invited some people who can be a little bit loud, and I want to be careful who to inflict them on.

Griffithston's lovely but I arrived really late last time and it was absolutely silent, they've also got a sign saying 'families & couples only', which is fair enough; and somewhere called Moreton Farm have said they have space but they look even more family-oriented. The one on top of a hill in Dale is a bit far.

I might be being too fussy and everyone will probably spend a day climbing / exploring then go to sleep anyway but there's already been a discussion about what beer to bring so I'm a bit worried.

Any ideas let me know, there seem to be a few of you familiar with the area!

Obviously invites to follow once I've got a plan
Old 23 July 2010, 12:26   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Slightly closer than Dale , but still a fair distance is the Camping & Caravan Club Site at Honeyborough . If it's still there , it's a bit rough & ready and it's ideal for Neyland Marina and some decent slips nearby .Might be worth checking out.
( Honeyborough is the first roundabout going North over the Cleddau Bridge )
Old 23 July 2010, 13:07   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
. If it's still there
I'm not sure that it is.
Old 23 July 2010, 21:53   #4

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Makaira
Make: Forge Marine
Length: 7m +
Engine: BMW 50HP
Why not go a tiny bit further?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
Can anyone suggest a fairly laid back campsite in the Saundersfoot area which doesn't mind groups / potentially slightly drunk people ? All the ones which advertise seem very quiet, family friendly places which I wouldn't want to disturb. Obviously not somewhere completely horrid where the boats going to get stolen or slashed, but I've invited some people who can be a little bit loud, and I want to be careful who to inflict them on.

Griffithston's lovely but I arrived really late last time and it was absolutely silent, they've also got a sign saying 'families & couples only', which is fair enough; and somewhere called Moreton Farm have said they have space but they look even more family-oriented. The one on top of a hill in Dale is a bit far.

I might be being too fussy and everyone will probably spend a day climbing / exploring then go to sleep anyway but there's already been a discussion about what beer to bring so I'm a bit worried.

Any ideas let me know, there seem to be a few of you familiar with the area!

Obviously invites to follow once I've got a plan
Hi Shaz,
For the future you might wish to look at Angle as a venue rather than Dale or Saundersfoot.
Two great pubs with great food and beer, The Old Point House and the Hibernia and a well stocked village shop.
Two beaches, West Angle and East Angle.
Launching at East Angle right in front of the Old Point House pub.
Local boat owners association control the moorings.
Cracking campsite at http://www.ukcampsitesearch.co.uk/wa...site-angle.php
They are well used to beer drinking types having fun.

A great caravan site at West Angle bay (where I have a static caravan).
You also have better access to a petrol station in Pembroke or Pembroke Dock for cheap petrol and diesel and all major supermarkets.
Saundersfoot is very good and very nice but way too busy (IMHO).
At Angle several can launch at the same time on a good hard beach. No tricky slipway to reverse down and no waiting for the very many divers to launch either.
Old 25 July 2010, 06:45   #5

Town: Tenby
Boat name: O.C.D.
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 100
Its an old post but when are planning on going there?

im local and should really know but try google maps, they often have camp sites names on etc.

Well Park is in New Hedges, but they are right on the main road. Good for towing as you dont need to use the narrow lanes but they maybe some road noise.
Old 25 July 2010, 09:51   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
Can anyone suggest a fairly laid back campsite in the Saundersfoot area which doesn't mind groups / potentially slightly drunk people ? All the ones which advertise seem very quiet, family friendly places which I wouldn't want to disturb. I've invited some people who can be a little bit loud, and I want to be careful who to inflict them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_dash View Post
but they maybe some road noise.
That's the one Shazzer's looking for. You may want to give the local rozzers a heads-up when she settles on a date
Old 02 August 2010, 14:25   #7

Thanks for the suggestions - going to go with St Petrox as they sound reasonably friendly, and said they had space (unlike most!). It may be bit far to explore the legendary Saundersfoot night life, but I'm sure we'll come up with an alternative ;-)

Angle definitely sounds like one to explore in the future, however I don't think anyone I've invited has a suitable vehicle for beach launching this time.

If anyone's around you are welcome to join us, hoping to get to the campsite for around 2100 on Friday (6th). Will have a look at tides & send the climbers off to Stackpole and launch from either Neyland or Lawrenny in the morning. I don't think there's anywhere suitable to launch from where I can actually watch the climbers but will adapt the plan if there is.
Old 02 August 2010, 15:01   #8

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Pembroke Dock is nearer to St Petrox for launching. Free public slipways at Hobbs Point and East Llanion.
Old 05 August 2010, 15:36   #9

Cool thanks - after all that I won't be taking the boat as waiting for some parts, but I will have a look at suggested places for next time.
Old 05 August 2010, 17:26   #10

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Pembroke Dock is nearer to St Petrox for launching. Free public slipways at Hobbs Point and East Llanion.
You know that she's actually angling for an invite around to Chez Dai.