Old 24 August 2006, 10:05   #1

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Broadband - talktalk

I was listening to the BBC this morning concerning the saga of talktalk and their offers on broadband and telepehone.... All I can say is hard luck- when will people realize that a free lunch doesn't exist. In life you pay for what you get... there is no miracle - you can cut costs by being efficient and then when you have done that you look at it again from another point of view and if you are clever you can cut again- but the ultimate is the answer to the question " will the customer suffer" - because that is where your revenue is.
It seems talktalk, back- up is falling to pieces and people cant get answers via the call centers. Ok raw connecting should not be a problem - but it does need a minimal knowlege of IP , DNS, ect.

The only good thing to come out of the program was to see the female presenter ( yesterday) in her home trying to connect to talktalk without her make-up on. I did'nt realize that make-up made such a difference to a woman of a certain age ( just waiting for the outcry!!!)

Jonathan
Old 24 August 2006, 17:44   #2

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
We were going to switch to talktalk, untill we tried to cancell our NTL broadband and they said ok we'll do you the same broadband half price!
Old 24 August 2006, 21:05   #3

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
I think TalkTalk were a bit overwhelmed by the take-up on the deal - apparently way beyond their expectations.

So what do you do - tell the customers to bugger off or hope that the free access will let them forgive the initial pain?
Old 24 August 2006, 21:27   #4

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
I've also had three separate friends/colleagues take up this "great" offer over the last few weeks and I've worked out how they're helping to fund it. By charging an extortion rate on the technical help line, they are at least covering the cost of the modems that are being sent out. Also I know of at least two cases when following the initial install the PC failed to boot with the modem connected. Yank the USB cable from the modem and it boots just fine !!!. Turns out the software installer chokes in certain situations and requires a complete uninstall and re-install before it behaves, and this sadly is beyond the knowledge of many home users.

Andrew
Old 25 August 2006, 10:42   #5

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
tell the customers to bugger off

Yep.... But then I would not have been promising the earth in the first place!!!!!!.

Jonathan