Old 01 July 2012, 13:34   #41

Town: hampshire
Length: 7m +
rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
I didn't dare post this in the RIB section, but we hired a speed boat while on holiday in Kefalonia and my wife said "why don't we look at buying something like this"

My intention is to keep my SIB for the canal etc but possibly buy a speed boat for places where there are no speed limits, or for the sea where a larger boat would be more stable.

I've looked around and the Bayliner 175s seems to be popular, plus it has a "Bimini Top" (a canopy) that can be fitted/raised if it rains.

The boat we hired had one of these and it was useful for keeping the sun off (useful in Greece, maybe not so much here) but it would be a good option if we went out for the day on it, in case it rained.

I know nothing about speed boats. Can you launch one easily by yourself?

Does anybody have experience with this particular model of boat. Is it a good choice, well as good as any? It has an inboard engine (which I'd prefer) and offers 175bhp which I'm sure will be enough for us.

New they cost just over twenty but there are plenty secondhand on the market.

Here's the boat we hired.
if you're going that way get something with a deeper v

Sealine 190 powered by 130 hp Petrol engine Ref N/T For Sale - GBP 9,500 - Port Solent, UK - Boatshop24.co.uk

been the bayliner route, cheap and cheerful springs to mind and very uncomfortable in the solent even the bigger 2655 and 27 versions, lots of slamming even at low speed in short chop. The sealine was more comfortable but rib every time for me unless you can afford a sunseeker. I had a sunseeker monterey and mexico (27' and 24') and had fun in them but heavier to transport around by trailer.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...7999&noOfPic=1