Old 06 October 2003, 18:55   #1

Town: Preston
Boat name: Sharmel
Make: Avon
Length: 4.2
Engine: 45hp Honda / 4hp Johnson
Avon Searider blow holes

Ive had my searider for 12 months now and the first thing I did when I got her was block the big hole at the back and the nostrells in the front up to make a dry hull, I thought this was the best thing to do due to the weight of diving kit she would be carrying. Obviously shes a little unstable without the weight but I was wandering what thoughts other owners have on this boat ?

Should I open up the holes again ?

Karl
Old 06 October 2003, 20:10   #2

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I am really fond of Sea riders and had a very happy relationship with a 4.7. I certainly would restore the holes. The ballast is removed as son as the boat gets on the plane and it gives an extra help when you are going slowly.

One of the things I don't understand is why buy an Avon if you are going to block the holes up. They are after all the hulls key design feature

IMNSHO (in my not so humble opinion)
cheers
Stuart
Old 07 October 2003, 15:28   #3

Town: Falkirk
Boat name: a boat
Make: Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Force 40hp o/b
Flooding Hulls....

Gotta agree with Wavehumper here - flooding hulls are meant to flood. If you are carrying a lot of divers & kit, you will be more unstable with the hull dry, maybe dangerously so if the weight shifted to one side unexpectedly. You could find your divers being tipped off the side prematurely.
It may take a bit more power and/or time to plane with a flooding hull, but once you are up, its then becomes a dry hull, so I feel that you will simply be sacrificing stability at low speeds and when stationary.
I have said elsewhere that I found my current rib 'skittish' when I changed from a Searider. I think you may find it a bit more than 'skittish' with the holes bunged up.

But then again, it's your boat..........

Bill
Old 27 October 2003, 15:26   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I suggest you try it both with the holes blocked up and open. I currently have a 5.4m Searider with the holes open and this works well - but I do have a 90hp (2 -stroke) and there is no problem with it planing even with lots of gear on board.

However, my previous boat was a 4m searider with a 50hp 2-stroke. This was decidedly unkeen to plane with 4 people on board with the holes open. No power trim though and it was propped to give about 39knots.
I had one of the Avon ss blanking plug kits but this leaked and the hull filled and then would not empty!

HTH

Duncan