Old 04 January 2007, 19:21   #1

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
ARC Atlantic Crossing

Just returned from crewing Brigand a 56 foot catamaran across the pond from Gran Canaria to St Lucia

we completed the 2,700 miles in 13 days 11 hours and 35 minutes; as a result we were 1st in the multihull division and 12th overall from the 226 yachts that started

following arrival in St L I subsequently spent xmas in Grenada with the family but included some Grenadines cruising on Brigand

2 spinnakers blown but other than that no real problems;the seas were quite big but not as big as the Biscay which I did in September.

all in all a good experience but in conclusion I quite like the new Revenger twin diesel med boat -these raggies have too many ropes and things to make them go

fastest speed down the back of a wave was recorded at 23.1 kts which is quite daunting on a sail boat!

interestingly after 2 days at sea we saw the lights of 1 other boat and the QE2 passed a mile away -otherewise nothing else seen in nearly two weeks -its a big bit of sea out there

very few RIBS seen -maybe a market for someone?
Old 05 January 2007, 15:09   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Alright for some - sounds like a great trip. Yup Revenger looks awesome - maybe one for santa next year???

Just noticed you were first of the multihulls but 12th overall - I thought the multis were supposed to be faster???
Old 05 January 2007, 15:21   #3

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
racing cats are faster BUT she is a cruiser (so it is an impressive result) and some wouldn't be expected to compete with the likes of a swan 601 or racing maxi. good performance phil!
Old 06 January 2007, 04:06   #4
pop

Town: Paihia
Make: Scorpion
Engine: indoard yam 420 sti
Thats not fast, i have done southampton to Antigua 4 times in an ocean 80 and it never took that long. what was the cat? all credit to you though its an adventure the first time
Old 07 January 2007, 08:21   #5

Brigand is a space 56 cat designed by Derek Kelsall

there were only 2 real sailors on board so the position was respectful; no way could we compete against racing crews
Old 08 January 2007, 05:20   #6
pop

Town: Paihia
Make: Scorpion
Engine: indoard yam 420 sti
I think its great Phil there are to many people who want to do things and never do. Its a lot of work sailing that trip with only 2, did you have any fun times? i always have somthing either engine,rigging or electrics but at least it keeps you from getting board. so come on when is the next crossing ?
Old 08 January 2007, 11:44   #7

Pop , there were 7 on board but only 2 who could really sail. So with kites up the skipper and mate did 6 hour watches at night whilst the rest of us did 3 hours; no watches in the day.

most of it was on auto but when we were pushing the kites to the limit the skipper and mate drove.

funnily enough I was not bored until the last day when the wind dropped -the last 40 miles seem to take forever ;typically though as we rounded Pidgeon Island for the finish line we ran in to a squall and every thing went a bit haywire for a few minutes.

I did quite a lot of cooking which meant no watch that night and helped others who either could not or did not want to cook.some found preparing a meal for 7 in reasonably big seas a bit of an effort.

I'd like to return to RIBS this year so am hunting around

However the whole crew sat down for a main meal every night and most mornings for a full breakfast so not too bad on that front

I reckin the funniest moment was in St Lucia when the skipper trod on a sea urchin and asked anyone if they could provide some urine to put on it; one of the girls said she would do so if the rest of us turned away -what happened to buckets!