Old 29 July 2008, 21:42   #1

Town: Mudeford
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
anybody go spearfishing?

Hi all, was thinking of giving spearfishing a go, just wondering if anybody could share their thoughts / experiences on the "sport". Based in christchurch (dorset) so if anybody goes spearfishing in the area would be good to know of any hot-spots....
Old 29 July 2008, 21:44   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopic View Post
Hi all, was thinking of giving spearfishing a go, just wondering if anybody could share their thoughts / experiences on the "sport". Based in christchurch (dorset) so if anybody goes spearfishing in the area would be good to know of any hot-spots....
Da' Bill.
Old 30 July 2008, 06:37   #3

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall does, you must know him being from Dorset..

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 07:24   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
No personal experiance , but I was sat just off mudeford a few weeks ago & guy was all suited upiin full black wetsuit / fins etc ( something like you would see in an old bond film) and went spear fishing along the old line of ricks just to the south of the entrance to the run. I didn't see what he caught , but when I've been out there with a mask & snorkel you get a decent sized mullet you can almost just grab. Apart from that no idea - bext of luck
Old 30 July 2008, 08:45   #5

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
There are a couple of French guys on here that are v keen spear fishers. Maybe they will be along soon. They have posted some great vid clips. Try a search on fishing.

As far as local spear fishing spots go (I'm in Poole) don't really know, but have seen the odd bod at Peveril Ledge. You could try any of the headlands in the area, but risk being mown down by a nutter in a RHIB!!!!!

Seriously though, don't forget your A Flag as this bit of our coast gets really busy. There were several hundred boats in Studland and Swanage bays on Sunday. Looked like a floating holiday camp.

Happy hunting.

P.S. get yourself a steel helmet!
Old 30 July 2008, 11:48   #6

Town: Shepperton
Boat name: Shamu
Make: BananaShark
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
forget the spear fishing...........just hire yourself a copter for the day!

Old 30 July 2008, 12:01   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
...when I've been out there with a mask & snorkel you get a decent sized mullet you can almost just grab....
Don't need a mask & snorkel for mullet. Hugh Jardon shoots them from the pontoon
Old 30 July 2008, 13:22   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Don't need a mask & snorkel for mullet. Hugh Jardon shoots them from the pontoon

I always take a packet of boiled sweets to help with the "dry throat" feeling you sometimes get
Old 30 July 2008, 13:51   #9

Boat name: "can"
Make: Joker Boat
Engine: 40hp e-tec
I really don't want to distract attention from forum pages but, we're running a very big spearfishing community at the Medfish pages. Give it a go I am sure you will find some local information wherever you want to go!
Old 30 July 2008, 14:33   #10

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Quote:
You've got a nice spot to fish off Hengistbury Head. Three options

1) Stay in close to the groyne and watch for Grey Mullet as they go in and out of the rocks. Had a nice 5-7ib one a few years back. There's some sandy ground just off the groyne so there might be some flat fish as well.

2) Swim off about 200m onto the mussel beds and look for Bass as they cruise between the rocks. Some friends of mine had a huge catch of Bass their a few years ago.

3) Swim further out to where there are big flat slabs of rock, 40-50ft, and look under them for Lobsters

We used to park at Mudeford and swim across the entrance, invariably when it was flooding in or out which was quite exciting and walk up to the head, fish there and drift down. A friend of mine did this one night on springs and was swept down to Highcliffe and had to walk back

Also if you swim off the beach, slightly west of Hengistbury Head, where the car park is there are some man made reefs ( take some finding ) and have seen Bass round them as well.

Cheers

Mark
Old 30 July 2008, 21:53   #11

Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWildey View Post
You've got a nice spot to fish off Hengistbury Head. Three options

1) Stay in close to the groyne and watch for Grey Mullet as they go in and out of the rocks. Had a nice 5-7ib one a few years back. There's some sandy ground just off the groyne so there might be some flat fish as well.

2) Swim off about 200m onto the mussel beds and look for Bass as they cruise between the rocks. Some friends of mine had a huge catch of Bass their a few years ago.

3) Swim further out to where there are big flat slabs of rock, 40-50ft, and look under them for Lobsters

We used to park at Mudeford and swim across the entrance, invariably when it was flooding in or out which was quite exciting and walk up to the head, fish there and drift down. A friend of mine did this one night on springs and was swept down to Highcliffe and had to walk back

Also if you swim off the beach, slightly west of Hengistbury Head, where the car park is there are some man made reefs ( take some finding ) and have seen Bass round them as well.

Cheers

Mark
This forum is about boats not the olympic swim champs.
Old 31 March 2010, 22:00   #12

Town: dorset
Boat name: orange dingy
Make: humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 130yam 2stroke pet
mr

yer i am in the same kind of situation i live in poole and i tryed sandbanks last weekend with my drysuit as it is still pritty cold but i am gunna be useing a 6m wetsuit, but i am just wondering if there is club or something as i would like to meet up with other spear hunters.
also i was thinking about goign to the training banks in studland as i have rib but i do not know what you guys would think. and the kinda depth i am looking at to get a nice size fish to eat.
if you could email me back please i would be much appreciative.
wildliam@hotmail.co.uk

cheers liam
Old 01 April 2010, 16:13   #13

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
I had a speargun in the 70s when i first started diving ,,never shot any fish ,,vizibility was always too bad in our area ,, had more chance in spearing myself ,,me mother bent it in half in the end when me mate shot it through the kitchen door one day ,,
Old 01 April 2010, 19:01   #14

Town: Farnham
Boat name: Wahoo
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha 40hp
Quote:
Try www.underwaterfishing.co.uk or Google London International Club.
Have fun.