Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlord View Post
Would stay away from Heat Pumps unless you have underfloor heating and a thermal efficient house up to current building regs. Otherwise you would be wasting your money.
I have an air source heat pump and its fantastic. Our house if double glazed but the glazing is 20 years old so its not great. Also the insulation is not up to current standards.

We don't have underfloor heating (although we would love to) so do have to run the system at a higher temperature to run rads however it works.... the house is warm and we get 300 litres of hot water (50 degrees) a day and our fuel bill has more than halved from the previous calor gas system.

If you are replacing your rads anyway then an airsource would be a good idea to consider as with modern rads they still work. They are very simple systems and ours has been fitted for 2 years without any issue. There is nothing to service on it so basically its fit and forget.

HOWEVER. since fitting it the coldest temperature we have seen here in Gloucestershire has been about -10 and it worked OK althout it was running flat out to keep up but if you were regularly at -10 or more then it might not be for you.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2013, 20:11   #22

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I notice that Bog Monster (despite his name) has avoided mentioning that sensitive subject - peat. The islanders burn an average of four metric tons per annum each for domestic heating.

Probably in a non-condensing environment
About 20 years too late for that old chap

Our old camp house has a peat Rayburn in but it gets about a week's use a year if that, and nothing on earth would persuade me to go back to peat in a house I lived in! Probably 90% of houses used peat post-war, probably less than 5% as a main fuel now, just a few sittingroom fires and a handful of masochists, sorry, traditionalists.

No, it's got to be oil, and while I'm slightly intrigued that an air source heat pump might be interesting in the future, I want something I can get and install in the next month, which means local purchase.

I've been canvassing experience locally and some of the boiler repairers have a low opinion of the life expectancy of condensing boilers and say they'd fit the old type if it was their choice.

All info is good info, ta

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2013, 21:05   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
About 20 years too late for that old chap
Er, sorry. I must have been misinformed.

Oil be more careful in future...

Old 21 February 2013, 22:32   #24

Make: Joker Booat
Engine: Yam 70
Chris how old is your house ?

I think your lucky to have a heat pump that works so well in a retrofit installation with an encumbent heating system, especially at -10. The COP value at -10 would be quite low and the heat pump would probably be inefficient, most are rated down to -5. Furthermore 50 degrees hot water is below the normal setting of 55 to 60 degrees.

However it sounds like your house has a very good thermal efficiency rating and few drafts, which reduces the air changes and therefore helps to maintain the ambient temperature. This is where heat pumps excell, by maintaining ambient temperature of 19 to 21 degrees, boosted by a secondary heat source such as wood burners.

It sounds like you've got your system set up just about right for your property which is good to hear. I have heard of numerous complaints about ASHP's in older properties.
Old 22 February 2013, 06:21   #25

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
The house was built in '69 it does has some cavity insulation and is fairly draught free.

When we installed it we did replace some rads with larger ones to get the best out of the lower temperatures it runs and the long term plan is to put underfloor in to really get the best from it. However even running it this way it's still so much cheaper than Calor or oil PLUSS this year we start getting the RHI payment of around 2k per annum for the next 7 years.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 08:00   #26

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Not that it will effect the new modern boilers but Some of the 1960s & 70s built semi detached houses in the village where I live had a lot if the old type boilers fail after they owners had decided to put bedroom extensions over garages and had roof lofts fitted out into bedrooms kitchens extended & conservatory s built all having new radiators fitted without thinking what the boiler could handle in some cases the boiler was working its b,,,ks off flat out where the boiler was initially designed to run say 6/ 7radiators the thing was running 12 or more .
Old 22 February 2013, 11:32   #27

Town: gloucestershire
A boiler that works hard and is not short cycling is miles more efficent, also the back-end temp (FGT) will be higher so less chance of it rotting out quicker.

I am interested to get some more info on your system chris, any chance of the following information.

1. size of unit in KW and the make

2. system load in KW

3. House type and plan, ie: semi detatched bungalow

4. approx cost of electric used per year

5. room stat setting in 'c

6. timer run time in hours per day

I have no direct expierence of this type of system but others in the trade have slated it when we chat in the merchants, so it would be interesting to know the above information , as your system clearly works and you are happy with it.
Old 22 February 2013, 12:13   #28
RIBnet Supporter

Oh look, I've found a gauntlet...

Old 22 February 2013, 13:34   #29

no gauntlet , just interested in the technical aspects .
Old 22 February 2013, 14:05   #30
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelgas View Post
no gauntlet , just interested in the technical aspects .
Well, it's been a while since Chris has had a Technical Challenge. Let the Games commence
Old 22 February 2013, 16:36   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Well, it's been a while since Chris has had a Technical Challenge. Let the Games commence
Oi! behave yourself
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2013, 07:58   #32

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Whilst I have the opportunity to get a cheeky couple of questions in...

Can a gas boiler serve both traditional radiators and underfloor heating or do the two type of heating have disparate temperature requirements?

Also, what are the chances of successfully physically moving a boiler? We have a perfectly good boiler, recently fully rebuilt courtesy of British Gas at one end of our house and looking to build an extension that would have a utility area which would be mid house. This utility area would be approx where our existing hot water tank is now which would be replaced by new HW tank sited in the new utility area. Wondering on the practicalities of looping the circuit at old boiler end and tapping into the circuit mid circuit.

Ultimately this utility area would be used to site some form of renewable energy source but i dont think we are quite there financially and technology wise but having an interim solution utilising the existing infrastructure combined with underfloor for the new rooms (bathroom, toiler, kitchen) would be good to achieve. The idea of moving the boiler to new location is it would allow us to achieve a dry loft.
Old 23 February 2013, 10:17   #33

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
Can a gas boiler serve both traditional radiators and underfloor heating or do the two type of heating have disparate temperature requirements?
Assuming it's a conventional gas boiler (i.e. not a combi) then yes it can serve both. The underfloor heating is a closed loop that is controlled by a thermal mixing valve, so it regulates its own temp. Our conventional oil boiler feeds traditional rads in the old part of the house & underfloor in the west wing
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 23 February 2013, 11:11   #34

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Thanks. It is a standard boiler but in the future I may purchase either a heat pump type unit or a gas system boiler ie seperate hot water tank like a conventional boiler but radiator pipes pressurised and sealed system to avoid the need for an external tank in loft. However if requirement of underfloor would prevents the use of a system boiler then it would not be the end of the world.

Trying to keep options open as with lighting I think that we are at a crossroads regarding traditional type thinking being pushed to the limit of what it was designed for and newer technologies that were designed specifically for energy efficiency in our climate. Currently there is still no mainstream replacement for gas/electric/oil boilers and in this country, alternatives seem to be an expensive curiosity that works well for some but not for others.
Old 23 February 2013, 12:31   #35

moving a non condensing boiler to a new extension is not likley to be allowed, check with your local building control. Part L of the building regs , the conservation of heat and power is what you want to get them to check under.
Old 23 February 2013, 13:28   #36

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelgas View Post
moving a non condensing boiler to a new extension is not likley to be allowed, check with your local building control. Part L of the building regs
Best not to tell 'em then
Old 23 February 2013, 15:09   #37

building control will not sign the job off unless it complies with the standards in force , so you have to play their game.
Old 23 February 2013, 15:19   #38

RIBase
Been there done that. Get the ext'n signed off, then start on the real work when the busy bodies have buggered off back to their desks.
Old 23 February 2013, 15:23   #39

Old 23 February 2013, 22:03   #40

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Been there done that. Get the ext'n signed off, then start on the real work when the busy bodies have buggered off back to their desks.
Nice one

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote