Old 06 November 2005, 15:02   #1

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Another 4x4 question

Now then, rather than change me boat we have decided to keep KeyMar for a bit longer. So, I have decided to uprate me tow vehical. The old vectra SRI has served me well but it is time we stopped playing with the winch cable at Levington and got ourselves a proper tow car.

I have been to look at several 03 plate Disco TD5 ES autos. I love em. But are there any faults or things I should know about, like leaky sun roofs etc. Whilst I will welcome all input, please bear in mind that this is the car that I want, (allways wanted one!!!) so please dont try talking me into Mitsubishis etc.

Thanks in advance

Martin
Old 06 November 2005, 16:10   #2

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
well go and get one they have dropped in price after the disco 3 came out

watch out for ABS faults and ACE Faults check cost the earth to put right as the abs works the hill decent About 2k for a abs pump check lights come on when starting and go out a few seconds later but check the light as dealers remove the bulb

all so engine numbers as the boys from the brimingham for got a bit of lock tight on the lower oil pump chain sproket which killed lots of engines TD5

and the auto is a bit slow but the hardon carmen ice is the nuts best sound
in a car i have ever had and the wife agrees

try to get the ES PREMIUM the last ones made lots of nice kit

i am not a land rover fan just changed my L200 warrior for a Defender 110 xs double cab and its the nuts and more MPG than the l200

i enclose a pic of my 110 its cool

Had a Disco TD5 GS7 2000 model and had no mayor problems
heated seats packed up and the screen

if thats what you want go buy

Daniel TD5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	15530  
Old 06 November 2005, 17:47   #3

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
please dont try talking me into Mitsubishis etc.

Your not a real HGV DRIVER then
Old 06 November 2005, 18:26   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper
Now then, rather than change me boat we have decided to keep KeyMar for a bit longer. So, I have decided to uprate me tow vehical. The old vectra SRI has served me well but it is time we stopped playing with the winch cable at Levington and got ourselves a proper tow car.

I have been to look at several 03 plate Disco TD5 ES autos. I love em. But are there any faults or things I should know about, like leaky sun roofs etc. Whilst I will welcome all input, please bear in mind that this is the car that I want, (allways wanted one!!!) so please dont try talking me into Mitsubishis etc.

Thanks in advance

Martin
The end of a production run is always a good time to buy anything - most of the faults will have been sorted and the price will fall as the new model comes out - works the same with most things - even TVs and Outboards!!!

Make sure it has a full service history that can be checked - try to buy one with lowest miles you can and get a good test drive. At the end of the day condition and the way it has been looked after are VITAL - no matter what make you buy!!!

Find a steep hill and check low range works and the HDC.

I have driven them with and without ACE fitted - to be honest not that much of a difference on road(with self levelling air) but ACE is not so good off road.

They are awesome - 100mph in total comfort up and down the motorways and then extreme offroading the next.

Performance lot better on the later ones as they remapped the management system but you could always get it chipped as well.

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....ighlight=iveco

Scroll down to the bottom and you will see a few piccies of the TD5 offroad - loved it but had to go back at 15,000 miles.
Old 06 November 2005, 19:33   #5

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
You asked about problems , and bearing in mind you are definately buying one I would give this thread a look over. I have posted links in this thread about td5 motor failures, crank pullys coming off and timing system failures, I also think there is an article somewhere about Landrover relasing a vehicle with only 27 faults

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....5&page=1&pp=10

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2005, 19:48   #6

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by randski
please dont try talking me into Mitsubishis etc.

Your not a real HGV DRIVER then
Very real thank you.

Thanks for the link codders and gavin. Allthough looking at them I hope I dont start ww3 with this one!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel, cheers for that. Its gonna be a big investment but then again a cheaper option than moving from costa del mansfield!!! I am just getting fed up with the winch rope at Levington and the recent Thames cruise just about made me mind up. Chas Newens were great but you cant beat launching ya own boat. I dont really want amother year of towing with the Vectra better to get rid while its still in good condition.

Thanks for that chaps. I'll be away this week trying to be a real truck driver but if anyone else has any info please let me know.

Martin
Old 06 November 2005, 20:00   #7

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
Hi Martin,
The TD5 is a good wagon and if you accept that it is not an SRi then it should serve you well.

Thats the positive bit, They are complicated underneath and prone to all manner of problems. Some are well documented ie leaky sunroofs and oil pumps that fall apart. Personally I found the TD5 engine great with lots of power and good motorway performance. But that did not make it more acceptable at slow speed, especially off road. I had a Tdi300 before hand and the low down torque and grunt whilst off road, even at idle, was terrific. The TD5 was ok all the time you had power on, but without it it would stall at the first opportunity.

If I had the chance to go for a TD5 again then I would go for an auto. Much better match between engine and gearbox. Other good points for the TD5 is a bigger boot and a cracking stereo.

If you havn't had a 4x4 before then its well worth treating yourselves to a day's offroad training. A brilliant day out and you will appreciate exactly what you have bought!

S.
Old 06 November 2005, 20:11   #8

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i have a td5 es as a second car (mrs car) and it is nice but if it is going to be your main car then make sure you are happy to plod around in them as they are not as nice to travel in as a normal car, (main car is a 740 so is a bit chalk and cheese)

had tdi 200 and 300 series before and both are crap compared to the td5, the auto box on a tdi 300 overheats when towing up big hills or at speed etc, (not meant for towing is the unofficial word from landrover ha ha) td5 gearbox never given any issues and is brill

i think ours has every extra possible which is nice and has 18inch low profile wheels which along with the ace really helps the handling, ace seems to come in if you throw it around and push into a corner, drive reasonably aggressively and it will seem to handle ok. ours is auto with down hill decent and air suspension and remote key fob for lowing and raising the car remotely for hitching up.

if you are getting an 03 plate then dont worry about faults as it will have 3 yr warranty so can get dealer to fix any problems, if buying private haggle any probs in terms of price then get main dealer to fix under warranty

getting the extra warranty from landrover is expensive cos landrover know they are a bit unreliable but dont let that worry you as they are nice enough cars

we have the harmon kardon upgrade and the system really is good, rear speakers in the rear door can rattle or boom when you whack the base up a bit but otherwise they are good enough

if i was you get it chipped straight away as the landy diesels are quite unexciting and not brill at towing at speed, yourl see what i mean, hit a hill and watch the speed fall away with anything reasonable on the back, hence get it chipped

otherwise nice car

faults we have had with ours over 2.5 years
new battery, 85 quid
microswitch for reverse failed twice warranty
heater in driver seat failed and replaced under warranty
ignition switch started failing in could not turn switch 125 quid
sunroofs when clunky, tracks replaced in both roofs warranty
steering box started leaking, recon box fitted for 150 quid
tyres.....quite expensive at 150 each as wide low profile

towbar fitted
side steps fitted
roof bars
new rubber mat in rear and inside fitted

ooo and towing a large heavy boat out at low speed on slippery gravel up a steep slip, not a problem at all, no slip or wheel spin, dont need low box or anything

Quote:

Thanks in advance

Martin
Old 06 November 2005, 21:05   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I had a Disco and was quite fond of it, unfortunately I got it wet too many times and it started to suffer
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2005, 22:43   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
i have a td5 es as a second car (mrs car) and it is nice but if it is going to be your main car then make sure you are happy to plod around in them as they are not as nice to travel in as a normal car, (main car is a 740 so is a bit chalk and cheese)

had tdi 200 and 300 series before and both are crap compared to the td5, the auto box on a tdi 300 overheats when towing up big hills or at speed etc, (not meant for towing is the unofficial word from landrover ha ha) td5 gearbox never given any issues and is brill
Do you realise they all have the same auto box? As fitted by Land Rover from Oct 1985. It is a ZF box also used by BMW and many others. The only real difference between the one on the TD5 and the older ones is that it has electronic control for different modes. How they can say "not meant for towing" when it's the same box is beyond me unless they fitted a smaller oil cooler or something.

As to being not as nice to drive as a normal car I really don't know about that - the one I had was fantastic and quite quick - it was a later one with the remapped chip. It was SO comfortable and a lovely driving position. Much preffered it to the Audi A4 and VW Passats I had at the time although I did prefer the Alfa 156 V6 when I was in the mood!!!
Old 07 November 2005, 05:13   #11

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Now then, rather than change me boat we have decided to keep KeyMar for a bit longer.

BTW macho HGV man (&Keran) , hope to see yourselves & KeyMar in the Solent soon again.

Us