Old 15 February 2007, 22:59   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Amazing new doel-fin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...bram=1&bbram=1

Just had to post this - looks very much like the sort of thing you would fit to an outboard!!!
Old 15 February 2007, 23:56   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Good find, Codders. That's a cool dolphin.
Old 16 February 2007, 00:11   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

Just had to post this - looks very much like the sort of thing you would fit to an outboard!!!
What a dolphin !
Old 16 February 2007, 00:13   #4

Quote:

Seriously thats a good thing to see. Makes a change from the Japanese eating them.
Old 16 February 2007, 02:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Seriously thats a good thing to see. Makes a change from the Japanese eating them.
That's what I thought - the Japanese have been doing terrible damage to the shark population - they just cut the fins off and let them go!!!
Old 16 February 2007, 08:10   #6

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
the Japanese have been doing terrible damage to the shark population - they just cut the fins off and let them go!!!

I would not get too excited about that Codders. Sharks- who needs them?
scavengers, killers,monsters, ( reminds me of a few people).. I had the misfortune to have been on a Florida beach about two years ago, when a small kid distrurbed a bull shark about 1 meter off the beach. The kid was severely mauled. Just give me one resaon why we need sharks?, apart from their skin. pitie mal place mon amie.
Old 16 February 2007, 10:07   #7

Drunken Australian man grabs shark

And this is a news clip from the Australian way of dealing with sharks (Courtesy of AOL News).

A man who caught a four-foot shark with his bare hands off an Australian beach has said he only did it because he was drunk on vodka.

Bricklayer Phillip Kerkhof was fishing for squid with friends off a jetty at Louth Bay, a town on South Australia state's Eyre Peninsula, on Monday night.

He spotted the bronze whaler shark swimming in the shallows, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported.

"I just snuck up behind him, and eventually I went for the big grab and I fluked it and got him," Mr Kerkhof said.
"He was just thrashing around in the water ... starting to turn around and try to bite me and I thought 'well, it's amazing what vodka does'," Mr Kerkhof said.
As he wrestled the shark onto the jetty, the shark bit a hole in Kerkhof's jeans but all he suffered was a slight scratch.
Mr Kerkhof said he'd had two meals already from the shark and planned to use the rest in a weekend cookout for friends in the town, which lies about 870 miles west of Sydney.

"It's beautiful mate - restaurant quality," he said.
Old 16 February 2007, 10:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa View Post
the Japanese have been doing terrible damage to the shark population - they just cut the fins off and let them go!!!

scavengers, killers,monsters, ( reminds me of a few people).. I had the misfortune to have been on a Florida beach about two years ago, when a small kid distrurbed a bull shark about 1 meter off the beach. The kid was severely mauled. Just give me one resaon why we need sharks?, apart from their skin. pitie mal place mon amie.
You could say the same about many creatures - that doesn't give you the excuse to go around trying to wipe them off the face of this planet. Sharks have been around for 300 million years - I suspect that gives them more rights than us!!!
Old 16 February 2007, 11:14   #9

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Sharks have been around for 300 million years - I suspect that gives them more rights than us!!!
Old 16 February 2007, 13:17   #10

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
You could say the same about many creatures - that doesn't give you the excuse to go around trying to wipe them off the face of this planet. Sharks have been around for 300 million years - I suspect that gives them more rights than us!!!

I strongly agree that it is wrong to wipe out any species, and that humans have a duty to treat animals humanely. The concept of rights, by their definition and nature is something that can only be extended to and applied by humans. Their is no such thing as 'animal rights' despite the popularity of useage of that term.
Old 16 February 2007, 13:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
"... and I thought 'well, it's amazing what vodka does',"...

BTW, Biggles, I like your signature:

we (the british) have not journeyed across the centuries, across the oceans, across the mountains, across the prairies, because we are made of sugar candy.
winston churchill

What Winnie didn't mention was that those were the ones that left the homeland to settle in places like Australia & Canada.

(Just Kidding)
Old 16 February 2007, 17:45   #12

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
Quote:

Sounds about like the same short term thinking that a country had back in the mid 1900’s when they set up 50 caliber machine gun nest to shoot pods of Orca whales because they ate salmon. They where afraid that it would decimate the fishing. It turns out we did that pretty well on our own. It’s a shame to kill an animal for less then 1% of its mass. And I’m not a tree hugger that comes from someone who heats with wood and eats Elk I shot. To wipe out a species because we maybe on its food chain seems pretty short sited to me. OK I’m stepping off my soap box. :-)
Old 17 February 2007, 08:56   #13

No problem friends,

lets put you all in a pool with some great whites. Its not a question of short term thinking... lets get the priority right. Just give me one reason why sharks exist?. Anyway ,nature has a fantastic knack of fending for itself...
- and for that matter am not too concerned with global warming either,(currently its the catch phrase of the moment used by a lot of people who havn't the slightest idea of what they are talking about. What was on the BBC website the other day.. that the over 50's produce more CO2 than any other age group.... what does that mean??? we fart all day?

going to check my tubes..

jonathan
Old 17 February 2007, 10:21   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
the over 50's produce more CO2 than any other age group.... what does that mean???
Its getting a bit off topic - but it is not proposterous.

Over 50's have more disposable income. Therefore more likely to have a larger "gas guzzling" car. More likely to have a larger house (with consequentially higher heating/lighting requirements). In my experience quite often heat those houses hotter than younger people (perhaps more the over 60's). Quite likely to fly more on holidays (due to disposable income and more free time).
Old 17 February 2007, 11:00   #15

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Just give me one reason why sharks exist?.
Eupa, I'd suggest you do a little reading about biodiversity and apex predators.
Quote:
- and for that matter am not too concerned with global warming either...
Of course before you do that reading, you'll need to get your head out of your arse!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2007, 13:35   #16

[B]Of course before you do that reading, you'll need to get your head out of your arse! [/B

ouch!!!!!!!.....

eupa
Old 17 February 2007, 13:39   #17

Over 50's have more disposable income. Therefore more likely to have a larger "gas guzzling" car. More likely to have a larger house (with consequentially higher heating/lighting requirements). In my experience quite often heat those houses hotter than younger people (perhaps more the over 60's). Quite likely to fly more on holidays (due to disposable income and more free time).

Quite right Polly. Right on every count.

Its called success as distinct from failure..,
jonathan
Old 17 February 2007, 13:42   #18

While I believe that our climate is currently undergoing some rapid changes, there is much less concensus within the scientific community about it's causes than the mainstream media would have us believe.

There was an article int the local paper saying that many scientists believe that the beef industry is to blame for global warming. According to them, cows (and other ruminants such as bison etc) in North America release many times more greenhouse gases through their flatulence than all of our automobiles do. One wonders how we possibly made it through the 1800s when all of those tens of milllions of bison roamed across North America.

As far as the Kyoto Accord goes, it will do nothing to clean up the world's 2 biggest polluters (China & India). What it will do is bring the economies of the first world countries to a standstill, and in turn, drag the third world back into the stone age. But, it will make all of the neo-Marxists happy since global-wide misery is their goal.
Old 19 February 2007, 08:51   #19

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Well it is colder here than it used to be so if anybody has some spare global warming they could use, can they send it this way

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote