Old 11 December 2014, 16:30   #21

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
What filesystem does the NAS use when it formats the disk? If they don't use NTFS or FAT32 then it can be difficult for the end user to recover the files when the NAS box breaks. Some use a Linux filesystem, others seem to be unreadable on any other device other than an identical NAS box.

Just something to be aware of before you put the only copy of important files on a NAS device.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2014, 18:08   #22

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Length: 5m +
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Synology uses Linux. Yes if you damage NAS - you have to use another Synology to read disks (you have to put all your HDD's from broken NAS to new one) or linux system. It looks like it is a room to make business in UK

For me NAS in mirror is still better than many external HDD connected by USB.

I used to have 6 x 1T 2,5" HDD's in enclosure's (USB connection). Bought 2 more and 2 DS411slim and forgot about problems. I had a problem before to which HDD I stored current files before. And I had USB hub which looked like Christmas tree and not all HDD's strated - generally - big mess.
Old 11 December 2014, 19:25   #23

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
This has been an interesting thread. I've been vacillating for a while over what sort of backup would be best for my parents, and this has prompted me to think a bit harder about it again. They have a laptop, and that's about it: no smartphones, etc.

My parents' files that need backing up are word documents (tens of kilobytes), emails (I'd guess a kilobyte each, not counting attachments) and, a few times a year, batches of at most a hundred photos of a few megabytes each. No videos. So buying terabytes of storage would be silly.

The initial thought was just to use a portable hard drive plugged in to the laptop. But that means remembering to plug it in, which wasn't ideal (hence the vacillation).

NAS boxes look like good kit, but are obviously more expensive. If you talk about "RAID" to a normal person, they'll think you mean the brand of fly spray. You couldn't expect them to know what to do if it stopped working, and then they'd be stuck until I could get on a train and come and sort it out. So, for my own particular purpose: too expensive, too difficult, vastly excessive capabilities.

I'd still want to have a backup of a NAS: if the RAID falls over, restore the backup rather than try to recover. And now it's really starting to get expensive.

Then somebody posted that their router had a USB port, so I checked mine and found that it has one too. It looks like a perfectly normal Samba share, and seems to work at about 8 Mbit/s over 802.11g WiFi, which is slow, but for a daily update of a few emails and maybe a Word document, should be adequate.

I think I can put a 2.5" drive into a USB enclosure for less than half the cost of a decent off-the-shelf NAS, connect it directly to the laptop if they need to transfer anything big, and leave it attached to the router the rest of the time.

If a more resilient backup system turns out to be necessary, maybe we can start thinking of more comprehensive backup strategy. But this'll probably work for now, for this particular case.

Just thought I'd post some ramblings and see if they're helpful to anyone.
Old 11 December 2014, 20:31   #24

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
JamesF, have you considered just remotely backing up your parents computer to your computer/server? That would be FREE!

After talking to friends that are far more geeky than myself, I decided on a Synology DS213j with Sea Gate HD's. Now I just need to find a killer deal...from Ebay. We need to backup both Windows, and OSx, so cost effective reliable options are slim pickings.

Since my photo software is old and for Windows, I also get to upgrade that, so it will function on my Macbook Pro.
Old 11 December 2014, 20:40   #25

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
Quote:
JamesF, have you considered just remotely backing up your parents computer to your computer/server? That would be FREE!
I hadn't, but it's an interesting idea.

I'll be pondering that as well, then. Adding a second tier of backup is attractive...

Thanks!
Old 12 December 2014, 07:19   #26

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Depending on how much data needs backing up, online "cloud" backup may be a viable option. It gets too costly for home use for large amounts of data, but if the amount of data is small it works out quite well. For the photographs Google do a free program that backs up your pictures to the Google cloud automatically.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 22:56   #27

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Sumvision Micro 4 HDMI Media player | MICRO4

lovely bits of kit in stock at Portchester
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2014, 07:15   #28