https://www.admiralty.co.uk/sunsetting-paper-charts

Ceasing production from 2026
Old 27 July 2022, 07:15   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Yes, was just reading this below, bit of a surprise.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...rts-222-years/
Old 27 July 2022, 08:57   #3

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Having grown up in the steam powered and clockwork generation, I’ve always preferred paper charts. Always had a good look at a chart before a trip out, especially in new areas. They were easier to use on a larger boat, but I still carry one ii my sib if not sure of the surroundings. I do use sat nav( if I’m in a totally alien environment),and g.p.s on the boat as well as walking or cycling, but always after checking charts or maps first. Hope it’s not a bad omen for Ordnance Survey.
Old 27 July 2022, 09:47   #4

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I'd better not tell my son. I've been teaching him how to plot bearings and dealing with variation and if he discovers that the UKHO are going digital, I've got no hope of maintaining his interest.

I like looking at paper maps but I have found myself looking at digital versions more and more. I use the Memory Map charts along with the Antares overlays for north west Scotland and it is very easy to flick between scales and select different charts.

On the boat I've got my GPS and I used to carry a paper chart but again now that I've downloaded Memory Map to my phone, I tend not to bother.

As long as they come up with a sensible and affordable way of accessing the charts and they are compatible with add ons like the Antares charts, I'll reluctantly accept that it is the price of progress.

From a leisure perspective, maybe someone like Memory Map could access the previous years charts which would be suitable for most leisure users.
Old 27 July 2022, 11:53   #5

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150F
Hmm, like said, a sign of the times and cost cutting

I strongly believe that paper charts still have their place, electronic charts/plotters are fantastic bits of kit but I wouldn't want to be on a passage without a paper backup! There's something to be said for a paper chart, compass, and some dead reckoning skills to get you back if you had a serious equipment failure!

Passage planning is way easier on a chart too, the downside of plotters (as you guys will know) is soon as you zoom out you loose detail, even on a 10inch screen you can't replicate a chart.

On the offshore vessels I work on we have full size ECDIS systems with large screens but you couldn't/wouldn't install one of these on most leisure boats unless you're getting into large size yachts/motorboats.
Old 27 July 2022, 13:21   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster100 View Post
There's something to be said for a paper chart, compass, and some dead reckoning skills to get you back if you had a serious equipment failure!
we all say that but 1. I don't think I've heard of anyone suffering that sort of surprise failure for about a decade. 2. if we did, I bet most people's first port of call is there phone rather than to dust off a chart - especially on a fast open boat. I do still carry charts - but I'm much more likely to take them ashore at lunch to discuss where we go now than actually use in anger when afloat.
Quote:
Passage planning is way easier on a chart too, the downside of plotters (as you guys will know) is soon as you zoom out you loose detail, even on a 10inch screen you can't replicate a chart.
I agree, and I think for that reason Imray are likely to be seeing this as an opportunity rather than expecting to quickly follow suit.
Old 27 July 2022, 14:21   #7

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
we all say that but 1. I don't think I've heard of anyone suffering that sort of surprise failure for about a decade. 2. if we did, I bet most people's first port of call is there phone rather than to dust off a chart - especially on a fast open boat. I do still carry charts - but I'm much more likely to take them ashore at lunch to discuss where we go now than actually use in anger when afloat.
I was thinking more for larger boats, I've been on a yacht that was struck by lightening, wiped out all the electronics Still, thats a conversation for another forum, as you say, for fast moving RIBs we can outrun lightening
Old 27 July 2022, 14:55   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster100 View Post
I was thinking more for larger boats, I've been on a yacht that was struck by lightening, wiped out all the electronics Still, thats a conversation for another forum, as you say, for fast moving RIBs we can outrun lightening
Nah with modern electronic controlled outboards if you get hit with lightning we are probably screwed anyway and calling for help!

Yachts who are anticipating lightning can put their vulnerable electronics (like spare phone) in either a metal biscuit tin or the over to act as a faraday cage. I've never heard of anyone doing that who said it didn't work.