Old 31 October 2007, 13:17   #1

Town: old bar
Boat name: efo
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: yam60hp 2stroke
no fuel if ur aboriginal

< Edit: Moved from a discussion about fuel containers. JK >

in australia they wont sell fuel to indigenous ppl near the missions,as theres an eppidemic of fuel sniffing,,( a schooner of the premium thanks),and they now have a un aromatic fuel for the mission fuel stops,,now this is where it may get technical as the octane in fuel is usually attributed to aromatics that add oxygen to the mix,,by way of co2 atoms,,anyways,,motto is if u need fuel at 1 of those stops add fuel octane boost as well and save ur engine,,
Old 31 October 2007, 13:23   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
My best friend has just emigrated to Australia - what shocks him the most is the way the poor Abos are treated!!!
Old 01 November 2007, 02:25   #3

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
My best friend has just emigrated to Australia - what shocks him the most is the way the poor Abos are treated!!!
He or you won't endear yourselves with that use of language - the term has been considered offensive for the past 50 years.
Old 01 November 2007, 02:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apherel View Post
He or you won't endear yourselves with that use of language - the term has been considered offensive for the past 50 years.
Not 1/2 as offensive as the way they are treated. That is so typical - you can't call them that name and yet you can discriminate against them is so many other ways - like not selling them petrol............

Anyway it's no worse than calling someone an Ozzy or a Taffy!!!
Old 01 November 2007, 03:45   #5

Codders, Many ex colonial countries don't have much to be proud of in their treatment of indigenous people. Here are a few links on the sniffing issue just to set the record straight. Petrol (and paint) sniffing is a serious drug abuse issue with bad neurological outcomes. The last reference is to a Senate enquiry on the problem that underlies how seriously it is being taken.

As I understand it, the legislation prevents sale of petrol where it is considered the fuel will be used for drug abuse. Some states restrict sale to those over 16 for the same reason. The replacement fuel is said to be OK for most uses.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/mi...&yr=2006&mth=2

http://www.nt.gov.au/health/healthde...ap1/petrol.htm

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committ...report/e03.htm
Old 01 November 2007, 05:29   #6

To single out a certain race of people for whatever reason is surely discrimination?
Old 01 November 2007, 06:00   #7

Sure, if you take discrimination to include providing a safer product with a government subsidy to cover the cost difference! We also discrimnate against children who want to smoke cigarettes by making it illegal to sell cigarettes to them, and deprive them of the opportunities to eat lead paint by making that illegal as well! Sounds like a reasonable idea to me.
Old 01 November 2007, 08:16   #8

Town: old bar
Boat name: efo
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: yam60hp 2stroke
who is being discrimated against

well gday to another aussie albeit a mexican(from victoria) and he will call me a cockroach (from nsw)as the footy codes have their own discriminations and as far as indiginous ppl goes we have a cheese here named coon cheese and the aboriginal council has been lobbying to have the name banned,,because they belive its derogatory to them,,well where do we stop like is it now a person hole,not a manhole,,the list is endless and what does it acheive,excepta paper trail and titles for the dogooders,,what seems to be missing is respect for eachother and our diff ways and customs,,like live and let live where did that go,,i dont get offended being called an aussie or convict or any other tag as in my days we all had nic names,,pomie for prisoner of mother england,,,wog was western oriental gentleman,daygo was anyone mediteranian,in the end we all bleed red and its traggic that a beleif in a greater power (god) will most likely wipe out our excistence,,while they are all fighting im gonna stock my esky and jump in the rib and head 4 a secluded beach with my gf and watch the world go by
Old 01 November 2007, 08:45   #9

Fair point, we've gone well off topic, I'll leave it there.