Click Here to Login

Old 19 February 2021, 10:13   #1

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
a word of warning about my Hermes just now...

AVOID **** https://international.myhermes.co.uk/ **** AVOID

3 international parcels sent on the 12th of January

3 international parcels lost.....

1 to Southern Ireland, 1 to France and 1 to Denmark.

My hermes is famous for being cheap, but it it close to impossible to speak to a person if something goes wrong.

Thats brexit for you, somebody draws a line in the sea and it messes up the courier network.

I really recommend royal mail now. The collection from home service is very good and the expense outweighs the drawbacks of using stuff like hermes.

I'm now £500 out of pocket as I will have to refund people with no sign of the parcels ever coming back

Hermes you really SUCK
Old 19 February 2021, 10:25   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I'm happy to receive Hermes sent parcels as they are at the sender's risk... but I never use them for sending out anything. Our local village Hermes girls are superb at taking the trouble to ensure a safe prompt delivery... but in some (large towns in particular) areas their delivery folks can be transient and uncaring with parcels being left anywhere just to get rid of them.
Old 19 February 2021, 11:38   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post

My hermes is famous for being cheap, but it it close to impossible to speak to a person if something goes wrong.

Thats brexit for you, somebody draws a line in the sea and it messes up the courier network.

I really recommend royal mail now. The collection from home service is very good and the expense outweighs the drawbacks of using stuff like hermes.

I'm now £500 out of pocket as I will have to refund people with no sign of the parcels ever coming back

Hermes you really SUCK

Hermes were the worst before Brexit. They lost a parcel between Newcastle & Barnsley. Parcel Force or DPD for me.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 12:43   #4

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post

Hermes you really SUCK
To be fair Hermes have always been shite even before Brexit. Did you do all the correct customs declarations? Wouldn't surprise me if Hermes just bin parcels with the wrong paperwork.

We use DPD currenty for Ireland and so far so good as long as the customs forms are correct.
Old 19 February 2021, 12:50   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
We use DPD currenty for Ireland and so far so good as long as the customs forms are correct.
Well played, sir.

Unlike Screwup Screwfix who had their entire January 1 - February 7 Rep. of Ireland deliveries returned to the UK pending correct paperwork - and they have shops here!!! I don't want to discuss the whereabouts of my "birthday present to me" Milwaukee kit...

Old 19 February 2021, 14:06   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
The world's worst delivery service. Absolutely dreadful. I no longer buy from any seller who is using Hermes, it's just not worth the hassle. Brexit didn't make any difference, they were rubbish before too.

Royal mail, Parcel force, DPD or UPS all give me excellent service. Fedex good, Yodel ok...just.
Old 19 February 2021, 17:49   #7

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I'm happy to receive Hermes sent parcels as they are at the sender's risk... but I never use them for sending out anything. Our local village Hermes girls are superb at taking the trouble to ensure a safe prompt delivery... but in some (large towns in particular) areas their delivery folks can be transient and uncaring with parcels being left anywhere just to get rid of them.
Totally agree with Fenlander terrible company to deal with
Old 19 February 2021, 18:11   #8

Town: Wirral, Merseyside
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Evinrude 200hp
MMSI: 235109239
RIBase
I use Parcel Force or Royal Mail (dependant on weight) to post items to Europe as part of a marine related business. It was fine until Brexit happened and things were pretty quick. Now, even with the customs form filled in correctly, the most recent parcel took over seven days to get to the main sorting office in Portugal and another seven days to arrive at the buyer's address. Brexit has definitely slowed things down.
Old 20 February 2021, 00:38   #9

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Here in the US it’s terrible since the new postmaster got hired to make it profitable. I’ve had a package lost and two that took 3.5 weeks to cross part of the US. All this makes ordering from China seem like spectacular service.
All this plus my branch has a mail man that can’t read numbers. About 1/3 get delivered to wrong house.
Old 20 February 2021, 02:59   #10

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
Here in the US it’s terrible since the new postmaster got hired to make it profitable. I’ve had a package lost and two that took 3.5 weeks to cross part of the US. All this makes ordering from China seem like spectacular service.
All this plus my branch has a mail man that can’t read numbers. About 1/3 get delivered to wrong house.

Here in SoCal it’s hit and miss.

Sometimes a letter from thousands of miles away arrives within a day or so. Last one from my parents in UK took 2 months +.

Had some good USPS delivery staff and some awful ones.

I don’t know how China can send something to me cheaper than I can send a local letter.

W
Old 20 February 2021, 07:00   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I ordered rear bearing hubs from Autodoc on January 18 which just arrived this week. They use a carrier called GLS in Europe that turns out us a logistics company wholly owned by Royal Mail.

Honestly you'd have thought these things were coming to me on a barge down the Rhine. The worst thing about electronic trackers is it just shows it sitting in some warehouse for days on end. In was in Germany for at least 2 weeks doing absolutely nothing as if it had booked itself into a hotel for a fortnight of drink and debautchery.

That said it eventually arrived, so sympathise if packages go missing. Yep, Royal Mail or Parcel Force for me if sending anything.
Old 20 February 2021, 08:59   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Well Hermes for me used to be crap. We even thought about refusing to buy from companies that used them.
Now, however, I find them brilliant.
They have an internet tracking capability , they email me before a delivery with a 2/3 time slot (which they keep too) and quite often by the time I get from my front door, after receiving a package, my computer already tells me it has been delivered.
Magic and as-it-should-be!
It must be individuals in various Hermes locations-thats the problem.
Try complaining-LOUDLY.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 09:04   #13

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
DPD for me every time.

Hermes poor but Royal Mail the absolute worst.

With Royal Mail if they "fail" to deliver something (i.e. cant' be bothered to try) they don't do what every other carriers does which is to leave it in notified place or with a neighbour, but take it back to the "nearest" depot - not that near -where you can collect it the NEXT day - actually not even the next day but after min of 24 Hours! Oh and the collection window is very limited (1100-1300), there are several dozen other people trying to pick up their parcels and the single window counter is served by one person - the slowest jobsworth they can find who has no interest in serving people quickly or efficiently.

Hermes are very poor to, but they are cheap. Given the importance of Direct to Consumer delivery fulfilment I do wonder why companies who pride themselves of delivering "great customer "journeys" or "experiences" - whatever that actually means, and go to great expense to grow and maintain customer loyalty don't recognise the cost an impact of poor delivery.

If a business uses Royal Mail of Herms I will do my utmost to find what I want elsewhere.
Old 20 February 2021, 09:36   #14

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Engine: Mercury 350
Can only speak as I find, and never had a problem with Hermes and my house isn’t the easiest to find.
Old 20 February 2021, 10:05   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
This is the last parcel that was sent to me by Hermes. November last year, still out for delivery with “my friendly courier” . I tried every which way to contact them, email, phone, online chat. All went around in circles, after 2 weeks I gave up & got a refund from the seller. A lot depends on the individual driver, I’ve had Amazon/Parcel force fail one day, only to have another delivery from the same courier the next day. I’ve had parcels marked as “delivered” when they’ve been returned to the depot. It’s like the Wild West at the moment with courier firms, I’m surprised the Pony Express hasn’t started back up tbh.
The most reliable by far is DPD in my experience.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9892.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	136356
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 11:39   #16

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Wot Pikey said. It's exactly the same here. Oh yeah, try talking to Hermes 'Holly', if she can't compute she throws you out.
Old 20 February 2021, 11:49   #17

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
In fairness we probably order 5-10 packages a week from Amazon Business, 90% of them are delivered by Hermes and our local driver is spot on. He comes at the same time every day and we never have a problem. Been the same driver for a number of years.

However, when I have had a parcel delivered to home address it's hopeless.

The more frequent you have deliveries, the more reliable it is to be honest. But I guess thats the same for all the couriers.
Old 20 February 2021, 17:38   #18

Town: Ennis
Boat name: pac 22
Make: Halmatic
Engine: inboard
dont despair. I live in southern Ireland and have just received a parcel from the Uk that was sent early January. Brexit has caused a huge backlog.It may show up yet.