Old 23 November 2020, 20:37   #1

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
a rant about horrible marine traders

Over the last few years I've gathered a bit of a hobby. It started when my out of warranty Raymarine plotter wouldn't turn on. Having spoke to them and they recommended I bought a new one I decided to repair it myself. A guy in the marina then asked me to fix his and so on and so forth.

Fast forward a few years and I have fixed many plotters, bought and sold a few but mostly done repairs on other peoples equipment. I don't charge to look at things, just a little bit of labour and expenses if I fix it. I would not deem myself a professional but on a classic raymarine machine I can fix most of it if not all.

A few months ago I spotted a job lot of raymarine gear down south. I placed a bid as it had some nice covers and bezels and various cables I wanted for some projects. The auction also had 2 radar domes. I messaged the seller and said if it's possible can I bid and you parcel everything up except the bulky radar domes, thats a tall order and I want to spare you the hassle. I won the auction at a fair price (not bargain), I paid for it all and the postage and the seller kept the radar domes.

Now present day, I saw another cable I needed and it was a little over market value so I placed an offer on it. It was from the same seller as I had previously bought the job lot from. The message I got back was. "I am not accepting your offer, you are in the trade and in direct competition with me"

That peed me off a little considering I had basically left him with a few hundred pounds of items to resell but some people just like the drama. I brushed it off and moved on however I don't think this person has.

I sold a plotter and strangely enough the delivery address is less than 1 mile away from this "competing" seller and within 1 day of receipt it has a "problem" and requires a refund. The plotter was tested and everything was perfect when it left here but you cannot argue when it's an ebay sale.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I really smell a rat here. Luckily enough I always super wrap items and take photos of the contents of the box but is it not a bit suspicious that this happens all in less than a week and from the same small town? I basically think it's some form of scam to drive my feedback down.

I think it's pretty poor of people to try and treat others like that. I always believe in what goes around comes around. Bad karma always brings bad karma.

be kind
Old 23 November 2020, 21:04   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Over the last few years I've gathered a bit of a hobby. It started when my out of warranty Raymarine plotter wouldn't turn on. Having spoke to them and they recommended I bought a new one I decided to repair it myself. A guy in the marina then asked me to fix his and so on and so forth.

Fast forward a few years and I have fixed many plotters, bought and sold a few but mostly done repairs on other peoples equipment. I don't charge to look at things, just a little bit of labour and expenses if I fix it. I would not deem myself a professional but on a classic raymarine machine I can fix most of it if not all.

A few months ago I spotted a job lot of raymarine gear down south. I placed a bid as it had some nice covers and bezels and various cables I wanted for some projects. The auction also had 2 radar domes. I messaged the seller and said if it's possible can I bid and you parcel everything up except the bulky radar domes, thats a tall order and I want to spare you the hassle. I won the auction at a fair price (not bargain), I paid for it all and the postage and the seller kept the radar domes.

Now present day, I saw another cable I needed and it was a little over market value so I placed an offer on it. It was from the same seller as I had previously bought the job lot from. The message I got back was. "I am not accepting your offer, you are in the trade and in direct competition with me"

That peed me off a little considering I had basically left him with a few hundred pounds of items to resell but some people just like the drama. I brushed it off and moved on however I don't think this person has.

I sold a plotter and strangely enough the delivery address is less than 1 mile away from this "competing" seller and within 1 day of receipt it has a "problem" and requires a refund. The plotter was tested and everything was perfect when it left here but you cannot argue when it's an ebay sale.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I really smell a rat here. Luckily enough I always super wrap items and take photos of the contents of the box but is it not a bit suspicious that this happens all in less than a week and from the same small town? I basically think it's some form of scam to drive my feedback down.

I think it's pretty poor of people to try and treat others like that. I always believe in what goes around comes around. Bad karma always brings bad karma.

be kind

Can’t you offer a full refund on condition that the goods are returned & you stand the return postage? Worst case is it’s cost you the postage. School fees!
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 21:19   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I have a large Ebay feedback score of over 1600 and have received just one negative. Similar situation with a buyer acting as if leaving a negative was their aim rather than getting satisfaction.... and indeed they refused a full refund inc post for their "claimed" issue choosing to keep the item yet leave a negative. Really wound me up at the time but gritted my teeth and sucked up the negative.

As a percentage of total sales value it amounted to 0.15% so I just looked on the bright side of the successful 99.85%.

But yep agree with offering to pay for post back to you and refund in full. Obviously then if there has been wilful damage to the item take it up with Ebay.
Old 23 November 2020, 21:20   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Can’t you offer a full refund on condition that the goods are returned & you stand the return postage? Worst case is it’s cost you the postage. School fees!
Very much agreed Dave and that's exactly what I've done.

However I know now I will receive bad feedback. It just bothers me that people are horrible like that.
Old 23 November 2020, 21:35   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Did you know you can leave a comment to feedback immediately under it? So at least you get a right to reply.
Old 23 November 2020, 21:47   #6

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Keep an eye on what the pair of them are selling and play them at their own game ..
Old 23 November 2020, 23:48   #7

RIBase
I have been scammed with my old laptop and an ebay return.

My advice is always accept the return. ALWAYS

I won't post how they did it but I was very disappointed in how ebay handled it so I have been burned in the past and know that despite how minor it is you should always get it back in your hands

Your right, I have to suck up the negative. This morning I had a call from a guy who was over the moon I had fixed his E120. A few hour later you deal with this toss.
Old 24 November 2020, 09:02   #8

RIBase
Quote:
I have been scammed with my old laptop and an ebay return.

My advice is always accept the return. ALWAYS

I won't post how they did it but I was very disappointed in how ebay handled it so I have been burned in the past and know that despite how minor it is you should always get it back in your hands

Your right, I have to suck up the negative. This morning I had a call from a guy who was over the moon I had fixed his E120. A few hour later you deal with this toss.

On a side note. I have a brand new E80 bezel in the garage if it’s of interest. Still in its packaging, has a slight storage scuff.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 24 November 2020, 16:33   #9

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Ebay has a strong bias towards the buyer, that's why you can't leave negative feedback . Accept the return and block them from your buyers list . You can't even see their feedback score when selling which is a real pain. The joined this week with zero feedback merchants are a proper nuisance.
Old 24 November 2020, 17:02   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Ebay has a strong bias towards the buyer, that's why you can't leave negative feedback . Accept the return and block them from your buyers list . You can't even see their feedback score when selling which is a real pain. The joined this week with zero feedback merchants are a proper nuisance.

I no longer sell on EBay, more hassle than it’s worth, plus the fees are a killer. I use Facebook Market place now, still full of numpties though[emoji849]
Old 24 November 2020, 20:36   #11

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I no longer sell on EBay, more hassle than it’s worth, plus the fees are a killer. I use Facebook Market place now, still full of numpties though[emoji849]
I get the "sell for a £1 " offers about every 3 weeks . £1 per item and a small% for paypal . Since they cut the advanced search on buyers function it's impossible to weed out the worst wankers . Bought a couple of things from FB marketplace but never tried selling yet . Sold my SIB outfit for nearly 3 grand and the lad turned up with cash, cost me £1.
Old 25 November 2020, 07:07   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
I get the "sell for a £1 " offers about every 3 weeks . £1 per item and a small% for paypal . Since they cut the advanced search on buyers function it's impossible to weed out the worst wankers . Bought a couple of things from FB marketplace but never tried selling yet . Sold my SIB outfit for nearly 3 grand and the lad turned up with cash, cost me £1.
If you sell on facebook there are 2 phrases you will quickly hate...

"Is this available?" and "Whats your best price mate?"

Best price for me is the one advertised! Facebook marketplace has good coverage and is far more popular than ebay now. Gumtree is awful and if you put your phone number on it takes around 6 minutes for the accident hunters to call!
Old 25 November 2020, 09:39   #13

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:

Best price for me is the one advertised! Facebook marketplace has good coverage and is far more popular than ebay now. Gumtree is awful and if you put your phone number on it takes around 6 minutes for the accident hunters to call!
I love it when someone asks whats the best price, I add 25% on. Ebay is a pain now I dont even like accepting paypal nowadays as my brother in law sold a bike which PayPal refunded & he never got the bike back. Its either bank transfer for me or come & get it & pay cash.
PayPal was great for a few years but too many folk wise to the fact they always err on the side of the buyer & theres as many scamming buyers as there are sellers
Old 25 November 2020, 10:11   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I love it when someone asks whats the best price, I add 25% on. Ebay is a pain now I dont even like accepting paypal nowadays as my brother in law sold a bike which PayPal refunded & he never got the bike back. Its either bank transfer for me or come & get it & pay cash.
PayPal was great for a few years but too many folk wise to the fact they always err on the side of the buyer & theres as many scamming buyers as there are sellers

Same here, I always stick a bit of fat on the price. Saying that, I’ve just sold a couple of small lathes & had my hands snatched off at the asking price. One bloke offered me more than the asking, but I’d already agreed a sale with another chap.
As a buyer, I’ve also placed offers on items for sale, only to be told that they’re already sold, so the “is this still available” cuts both ways.
Hey ho[emoji848]
Old 25 November 2020, 11:38   #15

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
It did take quite a long time for Ebay to be spoiled by fcukwittery. I guess the people responsible needed to actually do something which, for them, was quite a challenge.
Old 25 November 2020, 11:54   #16

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
As above, it's Facebook marketplace for me now. Most buyers are local which saves the faff of Paypal and packing/sending stuff. Had a few bad experiences of ebay too as a seller, only use it now if I can shift it on FB. Cash is king!
Old 25 November 2020, 20:16   #17

Town: Eastbourne
I only sell on facebook now as its just so much easier than eBay, glad i don't do it often tough as dealing with certain people can be painful.
I sold a boat once and then the buyer pulled out as they didn't have anywhere to store it , but it took them over a week to tell me !
Old 04 December 2020, 06:58   #18

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:

Urgh, THIS!!!

I always put stuff on gumtree about £10-£20 cheaper than anyone else is selling it on there and say "This is the price, it's fair - cheaper than anyone else so don't try to haggle"

Some people still try it on
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 December 2020, 15:33   #19

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 tohatsu
Sell on eBay all of the time, dozens of vehicles, car parts, boats anything really. Rarely get any issues and people always turn up with cash. If you accept large sales over PayPal that’s probably not wise. PayPal in general though is brilliant, easiest way I have to send and receive money and withdraws quickly.

You only tend to hear about peoples odd bad experience, not the millions of successful transactions everyday...
Old 05 December 2020, 22:42   #20

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
What I don’t get is the “trader” being pissed off with you offering to “buy” something. Surely their business is to sell? Who cares who buys it and if you can buy it and sell it again why should he care? Rejecting an offer is fine but rejecting it because your in the same ish business? That's bonkers if you can turn his shite into coin he should be offering it to you on “trade terms” ie no come backs but no fees. If you don’t already mark the item with U.V pens and keep a time stamped photo somewhere.......

Tags
rib