Old 10 July 2009, 21:10   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
8 soldiers die in Afghanistan

In ONE day!!!

How much longer is this going to go on? Why are they out there?

Think of the poor families AND the innocent Afghans being killed.

And no JK the deaths of our brave soldiers does NOT belong in the Bilges. It's not political any more!!!

You only have to look at what happened to the Russians to see that you can NOT win a war in a country like that!!!

This warfare is the same sort as fought during the late 1800s - technology will not help much.
Old 10 July 2009, 21:22   #2

Town: Shrewsbury
Boat name: Pepsea
Make: Tohatsu 6.6m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 150
BANG ON CODDERS
Old 10 July 2009, 21:25   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
In ONE day!!!

And no JK the deaths of our brave soldiers does NOT belong in the Bilges. It's not political any more!!!

You only have to look at what happened to the Russians to see that you can NOT win a war in a country like that!!!

This warfare is the same sort as fought during the late 1800s - technology will not help much.
Codders I agree to a point, these guys are sitting ducks. We either pump in serious money and equip them properly or get the F out of there. Pulling out, unfortunately, is not an option. The fear is that Afghanistan would become a melting pot of terrorists, drug trafficers and the general scum of the World.
Old 10 July 2009, 21:32   #4

Of course it's an option!!!

It always has been a melting pot - always will.

The Russians threw far more at it than the west would ever tolerate - and where did it get them?

As to the terrorists maybe if certain countries and their politicians stopped winding them up we wouldn't have such a problem.

I don't really seem to remember a Muslim terror threat against Britain until Blair came into power - we always got on pretty well with the Arabs.
Old 10 July 2009, 21:36   #5

And yes I am wound up - always had the utmost respect for our armed forces. Seeing them killed like this breaks my heart.

Ex girlfriends brother joined the Marines - went to Iraq - then Afghanistan - then decided to get the hell out - couldn't see what he was fighting for and is now a fireman on far more money!!!

In a past life I worked quite closely with certain parts of the armed forces and they are being asked more of now than ever - with even less resources - wonder who's fault that is then.........
Old 10 July 2009, 22:27   #6

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Thing is now if you join the Army I personally would expect to see action and get shot at. Granted quite a few older soldiers have been killed but the young ones should have an idea of what they are letting themselves in for.

Even if we wern't at war with anyone why join the Army then complain that your getting shot at if we do go to war.

I understand what your saying Codders, if we didn't keep invading Iraq and places that end in 'stahn would with have a terrorist threat in the UK, I honestly think the UK government has created that threat for themselves.
Old 11 July 2009, 05:33   #7

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
Well informed thread on Afghanistan

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewto...art=10340.html
Old 11 July 2009, 09:52   #8

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
In ONE day!!!

It's a war Codders so, as unpalatable as it is, you have to accept that there will be casualties. That said, the levels of casualties we are seeing are still much lower than in previous conflicts.

Quote:
The whole of Afghanistan was against the Russians. That is not the case with us in this conflict, there is support for the allies within the Afghan community.

Quote:
I don't believe that we were able to call in laser guided air strikes in the 1800's, or had the benefit of armoured vehicles.
Old 11 July 2009, 10:33   #9

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
And yes I am wound up - always had the utmost respect for our armed forces. Seeing them killed like this breaks my heart.

Ex girlfriends brother joined the Marines - went to Iraq - then Afghanistan - then decided to get the hell out - couldn't see what he was fighting for and is now a fireman on far more money!!!

In a past life I worked quite closely with certain parts of the armed forces and they are being asked more of now than ever - with even less resources - wonder who's fault that is then.........
Mr BLiar CERTAINLY hAS alot to answer for!Strange to me how we can magicaly find HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS to shore up old lending institutions and banks and continue to pump BILLIONS into the E.U and we cant[or wont]give our forces the tools to enable them to at least keep up equipment and technology levels with our allies...Talking of which!! Our so called 'Nato allies' could be'AND SHOULD BE! shouldering alot more of the shared responsability,which with the exception of Canada has been SHAMEFULL!Regardless of where you stand on the war,our troops deserve so much more!!When proud service men and woman cant wear thier uniforms AT HOME for fear of abuse,and reasons of 'P.C' it is just another [in a long list] of examples of how low this country has sunk!Good for you Codders for raiseing the point!
Old 11 July 2009, 12:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyP View Post
It's a war Codders so, as unpalatable as it is, you have to accept that there will be casualties. That said, the levels of casualties we are seeing are still much lower than in previous conflicts.

The whole of Afghanistan was against the Russians. That is not the case with us in this conflict, there is support for the allies within the Afghan community.

I don't believe that we were able to call in laser guided air strikes in the 1800's, or had the benefit of armoured vehicles.

The whole of Afghanistan was NOT against the Ruissians - they had their own puppet government in place.

The Yanks are fighting this the "modern" way - using drones and airstrikes which are killing innocent civillians - much more of this and the ordinary Afghans will not be on our side. hearts and minds are pretty difficult when 1/2 your family are dead.

The benefit of laser guided airstrikes and armoured vehicles are severly limited when fighting in mountains. The Russians threw everything they had at the Afghans - helicopter gunships - tanks - and some very nasty chemical weapons.
Old 11 July 2009, 19:11   #11
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
And yes I am wound up
heer yew gow

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/wales/con...s/swansea.aspx

YOR COUNTTRY NEADS YEW
Old 11 July 2009, 19:57   #12

Ahh but its the politicians who've wound me up - maybe a new Guy Fawkes society!!!

Unless the TA are about to stage a coup.............
Old 11 July 2009, 20:36   #13

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
I have a few friends in Afghanistan. First thing they all say is we should be proud of our youth for the way they are fighting for us.

Seeing those coffins in the hearses... well my feelings cannot be described. I do not agree with the war but the friends I have there do not want to hear that, they have lost friends and they will not tolerate the opinion that it is all in vain. I could go on but I really have not got the stomach for it on a day like today.

May you all Rest In Peace, You will not be forgotten.
Old 11 July 2009, 21:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
I have a few friends in Afghanistan. First thing they all say is we should be proud of our youth for the way they are fighting for us.

Seeing those coffins in the hearses... well my feelings cannot be described. I do not agree with the war but the friends I have there do not want to hear that, they have lost friends and they will not tolerate the opinion that it is all in vain. I could go on but I really have not got the stomach for it on a day like today.

May you all Rest In Peace, You will not be forgotten.
well said - all of it!!!