Old 18 November 2020, 13:41   #61

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Yammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
What do you recommend for the slicer software?
Nice work!

I use Ultimaker Cura

Edit: Yep, free for personal use from their site here...

https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura
Old 18 November 2020, 14:10   #62

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
WOW! I can't believe how easy this is. Took me 5 attempts to get the bed levelling right but after 30 mins now the first print is still going.

Thanks for the tips! I definately would have been stuck without them
Old 18 November 2020, 14:50   #63

The worst thing is if you are separated from your printer and NEEEED a certain part, its so frustrating to need something of a certain dimension and have to do it the old fashioned way with duct tape!
Old 18 November 2020, 17:14   #64

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I’ve been following this thread with interest, being an “old skool” maker of stuff, routers, lathes, welders are my go to tools. I am however intrigued by the possibilities that 3D printing throw up. But just a quick question, how strong & robust are the parts that can be printed by the amateur with “hobby” kit?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 18:03   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
But just a quick question, how strong & robust are the parts that can be printed by the amateur with “hobby” kit?
The machine builds up the work in layers, usually between .08 and .32 of a mm. That makes for distinct stratification and therefore weakness in the horizontal plane.

For example if you make a bar where the work is a series of circles places one on top of the other - it will be easy to snap. Whereas if you make it lying down, so the layers pass along the length then it will be far stronger.

As mentioned earlier in the thread if something needs to be strong then I will use another material such as aluminium and the 3D printed parts will be to make a snug fit. I commonly work to 0.05 of a mm, so when something fits it really becomes a thing of elegance.
Old 18 November 2020, 18:32   #66

RIBase
Laughing my head off here, this is a really great thing

Picked up a second hand machine and one afternoon later I have a finished useable GPS mount

The tips were superb. Tinkercad is wonderful

Old 18 November 2020, 19:04   #67

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Just throwing in here as you know I was interested in building a console printed that is, the op Simon did a cad drawing for me ( thanks si) I sent it off to a local firm £500 ish delivered si did the same quote was £4000 ish but said it wasn't printable so I chased another company they said the same so it has limitations especially with voids even if the £500 firm could achive it for what it is at this time it's expensive but still very interesting there's a vid of them printing a boat God knows how much for it mind hope it takes off though every day a school day
Old 18 November 2020, 19:42   #68

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
Quote:
I’ve been following this thread with interest, being an “old skool” maker of stuff, routers, lathes, welders are my go to tools. I am however intrigued by the possibilities that 3D printing throw up. But just a quick question, how strong & robust are the parts that can be printed by the amateur with “hobby” kit?
use the right material and tune it right and you can make some surprisingly strong bits, i used an engineering nylon and ended with a part that survived my design teacher running it over
Old 18 November 2020, 20:55   #69

Town: Downderry
3D Printing Help

I'm the lead design engineer for a 3D printing company. My advice for people wanting to do their own printing is:

- Fusion 360 is easily the most powerful free CAD package, and not particularly hard to learn (though the terms of the personal license has changed recently).
- Cura is a relatively intuitive slicer, with plenty of printer presets and material profiles readily available.
- All3DP (https://all3dp.com/) is an extremely helpful magazine to get you started.
- Creality printers are a good affordable place to start, with a massive user base and loads of tips, tricks and printable upgrades for them.
- PLA is the best material to learn with; it's really forgiving and cheap(ish). However, it won't do well in "dashboard" conditions (hot or in direct sunlight) as it will warp.

For parts that are going to be exposed to the weather, like on RIBs, material selection is super important. The materials I would be more inclined to use are only usually printed on more industrial machines e.g. ASA and nylon.

If there are bits people want printing I'll happily give feedback or a quote for your parts!
Old 22 November 2020, 19:41   #70

RIBase
I think I've got PLA sussed. I've ordered grey, white and gold PLA as I have found my temp settings to be

212 Nozzle, 60 bed and a good dose of hairspray.

My PLA is of unknown age, it just came with the machine so I am burning it up making various test's of keyrings and redbays!

I did have a go with the ABS that came with the machine and it was a disaster! seemed to stick well to the bed at 110 degrees, my little ender 3 took forever to get up to that however I had lots of defects, super brittle and the raft fell out about 5% into the print.
Old 22 November 2020, 20:05   #71

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Hey Obsidian, awesome recommendation. Tinkercad is definately more my level!

Allready started. I have a few old chartplotters lying around without mounts so that has been my first project.

What do you recommend for the slicer software?

Tinkercad is great until dimensions become important. Spacing, rounding corners to specific radius etc is hard to do on it.

For slicer - cura! It has an ender 3 profile that you can use straight away! The ender is a great bit of kit, but be prepared to tinker with it!
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 20:15   #72

Quote:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3477.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	135663Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3471.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	135664Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3364.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	135665

My printer cost less than £200, here’s a few things I’ve printed. The mp3 adaptor will have the thing mounted at my knees but the screen will be angled towards me.

The red handle is for my lawnmower grass basket - I tried to snap it over my knee and couldn’t get it to flex.

The last one is just a drawing which I have since printed and I’ll have 2 holding my barbell for squats... it’s amazingly strong.

You can choose how solid your print is - 10% will have a weak honeycomb structure inside, or 80% will be 80% solid - you get the idea. You can choose how thick the walls are before the centre filling starts etc. You can make some really robust parts, or some really lightweight ones! The more robust, the stronger the print. The squat rack brackets took 11hrs each

What i love about it is for things like the bluetooth stereo bracket... pre 3d printing, i'd have just slapped it in with a bit of plywood and it would have looked awful! My new VHF is smaller than my old one, so i've also printed a plate which holds the new one and covers the previous hole - you'd never think that was its purpose!
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
Old 24 November 2020, 06:55   #73

Well played Simon

Great work!
Old 25 November 2020, 17:30   #74

RIBase
Posted my design to thingiverse!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4665094

Hopefully somebody else can use it.

Old 05 February 2021, 21:37   #75

Name:	IMG_4610.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	136244Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4612.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	136245Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4614.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	136246

Just another post to give an idea of uses for the printer! My gauges were fouling on some GRP behind them (just). So I made a wee tapered adaptor ring... excuse the colour - I’m low on blue filament so playing it safe for V.1. From measuring the gauges to having the adaptor in my hand in 2 hours... it’s not the coolest of hobbies but I love it!
Old 06 February 2021, 18:29   #76

Nice
Old 07 February 2021, 02:30   #77

Town: Glasgow
Make: Excel Vanguard 395
Engine: Suzuki 20
boy made these recently. he has wanted cup holders for the seats for years.

No idea what he made them in or what printer has though, only got it at Xmas. If I remember I will post up the finished print when he does them.

I've got order in for my SIB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210102_231942.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	136254   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210102_232320.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	136255  
Old 07 February 2021, 05:13   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocando View Post

No idea what he made them in or what printer has though, only got it at Xmas. If I remember I will post up the finished print when he does them.

That’s awesome! Cup holders is on my to-do list!
Old 07 February 2021, 08:41   #79

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocando View Post

I know your boy has a RC 6.8 same as me (thanks for your comments and posts in the past)

Can I ask where they attach and if he has in situ pics?

From memory he had Scott seats with RC behind so trying to figure out how he attached them unless it’s on the hoops behind on the RC and no idea on the Scott’s
Old 07 February 2021, 09:07   #80

Town: Glasgow
Make: Excel Vanguard 395
Engine: Suzuki 20
They will attach to the ribcraft seats for when at rest. He is going to make ones for the grab rail for the front seats for underway and he mentioned a portable Bluetooth speaker mount for the compass.

I don't think he has printed them yet and we haven't been near our boats since December due to restrictions to fit them even if he has unfortunately.