Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 19 October 2008, 16:21   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
3 rescued from sinking boat

Saw the story on BBC south about three young men who were rescued of Portland Bill in the Race! Their boat was taking on water and the engine broke down. NONE had lifejackets and they dialled 999 (mobile phone) to get help from RNLI and a nearby dive boat directed to them by the coastguard. Is there any chance these young men would have to pay for their rescue as clearly ill prepared or am I being un-reasonable?
Old 19 October 2008, 16:26   #2

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
I'm afraid that if people think they might get charged for rescues, they will be reluctant to ask for help and that will only make the situation worse. I don't think your suggestion is unreasonable - just impractical and unworkable.

Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2008, 16:46   #3

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Heard this call go out at the time.

Though I don't know all the detail.............yet another preventable F up endangering others for the sake of a bit of basic knowledge/training!?

As I get older (and fatter!) I become increasingly anti the RYA's 'Educate not legislate' mantra. Though I am an RYA fan for many other good reasons and have been an RYA ADV instructor for many years.

Is it not time that ill prepared and ignorant people should not be allowed to endanger other more responsible seafarers!?
Old 19 October 2008, 17:04   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBoy View Post
Heard this call go out at the time.

Though I don't know all the detail.............yet another preventable F up endangering others for the sake of a bit of basic knowledge/training!?

As I get older (and fatter!) I become increasingly anti the RYA's 'Educate not legislate' mantra. Though I am an RYA fan for many other good reasons and have been an RYA ADV instructor for many years.

Is it not time that ill prepared and ignorant people should not be allowed to endanger other more responsible seafarers!?
Idiots like these will always exist,legislation or not. If they had any sense at all they wouldn't have been anywhere near Portland Race anyway!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2008, 17:29   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Why should these idiots be treated any differently from the idiots who go across the Worms Head causeway and get cut off by the tide? There are warning signs all over the place and yet it still happens all the time. Personally I would leave them there as the sheep seem quite safe when the tide is in but these idiots don't notice the grass and sheep and try to swim for it - they never make it!!!

Why legislate for boaters? What about ramblers - climbers - bikers - the list is endless - sadly no legislation will stop idiots!!!
Old 19 October 2008, 23:13   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Compulsory castration is the answer to stupidity, breed it out

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2008, 11:57   #7

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
I think the age of excessive litigation has caused a big increace in safety concerns buy many authorities, and because of this we are breeding a generation who think
"it must be safe because it wouldnt otherwise be allowed"

years ago a lot of these people would have been removed from the gene pool by natural selection, hence there would have been no need for castration to prevent them breeding I think the safer we make our evviroment the more common sense we breed out of our offspring and the more work is created for hospitals and rescue organisations, This if fine keeps everyone busy
I saw an american light fitting the other day and there was a disclaimer on it.......

"removing the lightbulb from this fitting and inserting objects or fingers into the socket may cause injury or death"

Thats how much common sense people have
Old 20 October 2008, 16:48   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Why legislate for boaters? What about ramblers - climbers - bikers - the list is endless - sadly no legislation will stop idiots!!!
Hey Codprawn, you forgot the goats...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7677338.stm

If the coasties are hauling out livestock (again) then they'll have to keep going for the lads too.