Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
Where to go in Scotland ???

Hi

I was wondering how many Scottish lochs are suitable for fast cruising, wakeboarding etc.

I have looked on boatlaunch.co.uk and there seem to be many slipways but it doesn't give much away regarding restrictions when on the water or advice regarding ideal spots for RIBs.

Any suggestions would be welcomed, if we decide on a venue we shall put up a post and see who else might want to join in.

Cheers.
Old 16 May 2005, 09:40   #2

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
IMO none!
Even as a powerboater myself I wouldn't like to see the Lochs becoming full of fast boats and jetskis running around annoying everyone
There is more than enough sea and salt loch to let everyone scoot about to there hearts content up here.
Old 16 May 2005, 10:48   #3

Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
Mr. Bear, I respect your opinion and agree entirely but I was curious if there were any areas in particular that were ideal for these activities, I did not suggest I wanted to go further inland and spoil the tranquility, far from it, I live in the countryside and apreciate the peace and quiet. The reason I ask the question was Oban is the only place I have seen RIBs but I felt sure there must be many places with good facilities but I have no knowledge of restrictions or areas that would have their ambience spoilt by the arrival of ribbers. I was expecting a suggestion of saltwater lochs with good connections to the coast that were close to the usual launching, fueling, feeding facilities.
Old 16 May 2005, 11:43   #4

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
On the West Coast of Scotland you are rather spoilt for choice as its probably the best ribbing area in the world (at least when the sun's out!). Howabout launching a Kip Marina at Inverkip a short drive from Glasgow (& a lot less of a haul than Oban.) Nice marina with facilities and fuel and gives you access to the whole of the Firth of Clyde. Enough ribbing there to keep you busy for a month of sundays. For inland waterways then I 'spose Loch Lomond is the place, but with so much sea and sheltered sea to chose from I'd head for Kip.
Old 16 May 2005, 12:01   #5

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
On the West Coast of Scotland you are rather spoilt for choice as its probably the best ribbing area in the world (at least when the sun's out!). Howabout launching a Kip Marina at Inverkip a short drive from Glasgow (& a lot less of a haul than Oban.) Nice marina with facilities and fuel and gives you access to the whole of the Firth of Clyde. Enough ribbing there to keep you busy for a month of sundays. For inland waterways then I 'spose Loch Lomond is the place, but with so much sea and sheltered sea to chose from I'd head for Kip.

I keep my rib in kip marina but it does not have petrol facilities!! i had to go to largs most times for that with my previous rib. all around the clyde is excellent for wakeboarding and so on because you have areas such as the kyles of bute which are very sheltered. have a look on the "loch fyne anybody" thread. i will post pics of that trip once we have been which should be in the next couple of weeks.
Old 16 May 2005, 12:41   #6

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Ok, thort it did have petrol but it was a few years ago I was there so bow to your superior local knowledge. Nice marina though!
Old 16 May 2005, 19:32   #7

Town: Greenock area
Boat name: Joni Chimpo
Make: Narwhall
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp Mariner
Send a message via MSN to GaryD
Thats the big let down with Kip... no petrol facilities. Im fed up carrying tanks up and down to the car

As for wakeboarding or general messing about, I reckon one of the best places has got to be loch striven. The hills on either side are steep so the water is normally flat calm. There are also a few good places for beaching the boats and having a bbq or for camping.

There are a group of us that go away around the clyde most weekends, anyone is more than welcome to tag along if they want!
Old 16 May 2005, 23:29   #8

Town: Lochgelly
Boat name: Purrdy
Make: Northcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 135hp ob
MMSI: 235029446
Come for a blat round the Firth of Forth sometime. Lots of islands, castles, seals,porpoises, gannets(Bass Rock)(wear a wide brimmed hat or carry an umbrella),the Beautiful Isle of May. the Fife side has some lovely little harbours(most dry at low water) and there are some surprisingly good Pubs for Scotland. N.B. I`m Irish. The diving can be superb, vis is a bit weather and tide dependant in the Forth itself though. Anyone wanting a run through the area give us a shout. Anyone fancy a dive round the Isle of May or Blae Rock, give us a shout.

24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence, I think not.
50 knots WOT, 50 litres per hour, Coincidence, I think not.
Old 17 May 2005, 05:43   #9

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Nyarla has a good point - anywhere on and around the Forth is terrific, though it can blow up a bit !!
I was up there "breaking in" my new motor at May Day ..... around the Isle of May !!! which is beautiful. The diving is superb too - though if a bit dark at this time of year
I use Largs Yatch Haven when up on the Clyde - good facilities and the new all-tide slip inside the marina makes launching a doddle. The old public slip on the beach was not the best /easiest. The bar/food in the marina is good and ribsters are made welcome by all.
SO when I live in middle England why do I tow/drive 200/250 & 380 (Oban) miles to Scotland ??? - cos the sea, scenery, diving are fantastic ...... and much more civilised licensing hours !!
Jeff
Old 18 May 2005, 08:34   #10

As far as saltwater lochs go, you really are spoilt for choice. Basically anywhere you stick a boat in, especially on the west coast, there are fantastic places to go.
Proper facilities once you leave populated areas can be primitive or non existent though so self reliance is needed.
If facilities like food and fuel are required then most of the small shoreside towns can provide as long as you don't expect shoreside facilities and marinas laid on like the more developed areas.
In good weather (sunny) the stretch of coast between Jura and Mallaig, including all the islands, is fairly easy to get to and a fantastic cruising/diving area.

Nyarla, do you know Bob Grey?
Old 18 May 2005, 15:55   #11

Town: Lochgelly
Boat name: Purrdy
Make: Northcraft
Engine: Mariner 135hp ob
MMSI: 235029446
Not to my knowledge Rupert. Though my memory for names is awful.
Context? Diving, boats?
Old 19 May 2005, 08:21   #12

Diving, the only name I can remember from a group of Fife guys I went diving with a few years ago a few times.