Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Upcoming RIB cruises
Click Here to Login

Old 10 October 2006, 14:04   #41

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Thanks for the offers of carrying fuel, may well take at least one of those up! I have space, but no real way of holding it down. My main tank is 70 litres, but my engine is pretty thirsty. Not really sure how far I would get, I reckon I would just about make it but I would be a bit daft not to take spare and/or fill up half way.

Nick, not sure which buoy you are talking about off yarmouth. There is a wreck buoy east of the pier and a large mooring buoy just west of the pier, both of which are a bit yellowy and both stay in all year as far as I know! I guess some people will want to fill up in yarmouth and perhaps have a toilet/snack stop.
Old 10 October 2006, 14:10   #42

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Tim,

Toilet stops not a problem or refuelling. I just can't see us having time to stop longer than 30 mins at Yarmouth.

The yellow Buoy is listed as a special marker Buoy and is .5 NM off the end of the pier at 39 degrees. Hope that helps. It isn't the wreck marker buoy which is much more nearer land. But if you think that is a better one to RV at then I am happy to go with your local knowledge.

I picked the buoy because it will give some people chance to scoot in to Yarmouth for the toilet or fuel whilst the rest of us just hang around outside waiting for their return.

Tim. Is it possible to stop at Yarmouth and not get charged a landing fee if your just going to the toilet. I guess most of us would prefer that, but £4.50 for a 5 min stop makes ken Livingston look positively charitable.

With regards the fuel cans I'll just have them loose on deck as well thats why I only carry plastic cans. Stops the damage.
Old 10 October 2006, 14:31   #43

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
I may be able to come along, but not sure what I am doing that weekend. When was your software last updated. East loo channel is off the beach on the eastern approach. May I suggest you go and buy an up to date chart and work your course from their.
Old 10 October 2006, 14:35   #44

Simon,

Just found it, needed to zoom in a bit more. If the recomended route is straight across think i'll add an extra waypoint off Hengistbury head to err on the safe side.
Old 10 October 2006, 15:01   #45

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
If you are going to do that then make sure weather is favourable as can get a little nasty. Also their will be lots of pots, some which are submerged depending on state of tide.
Old 10 October 2006, 15:22   #46

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Nick,

I think its one of the racing buoys so it is likely that it won't be there! I reckon a meet just outside the entrance by the outer moorings (west of the pier) would be a good bet. All the other buoys (black rock and wreck buoy) tend to sit in choppy water when it wind against.

As for having a toilet break...there is a pontoon by the lifeboat that is a 20min max stay for loading/unloading. However this is only small and is often used but fishermen and the taxi so not a great place for a load of RIBs (2 or 3 is fine). If boats are going for fuel then a toilet stop is easy as the bogs are in the harbour office. I'm sure as it will be quiet, the harbour masters won't mind some ribs stopping for 10 mins if half of them are filling up with fuel.
Old 10 October 2006, 15:27   #47

Okay,

So for the Yarmouth stop just west of the harbour entrance is the small craft moorings. Just South of west Fairway seems a good place in at least 5 meters of water.

N50 42.499 W1 30.269

Will that be okay Tim. Then it will be possible to pop in to Yarmouth and its also an easily visible place to meet up as you exit keeping away from the Lymington ferries.
Old 10 October 2006, 17:13   #48
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Looks like Poole it is then.

Like last time gather off Cowes at 1030 hrs. For all those coming from East of Cowes.
Approx' 1200 hrs arrive off Yarmouth just to see if we can make it to Poole with regards weather etc.
1330 hrs arrive Poole for lunch etc.

1500 hrs depart Poole and head back to Cowes etc.

All these timings are provisional and done off the top of my head so may be way out.

I am quite happy to sort out the passage down to Yarmouth but would appreciate someone with more local knowledge coordinating from Yarmouth to Poole.

Matt would you like to sort out an eatery once we get a bit more sorted with numbers.

That's stumped me- I usually launch there so we end up eating elsewhere! I didn't eat down there when I lived there either.
This might help:- http://www.poolequay.com/pubs.html
Any preferences? The Lord Nelson sounds tempting.
Apparently (shows how much I've used the facilities there!) you now tie up Poole Quay Boat haven on the quay rather than the quay itself.

As for a nav route down, if you keep the Needles directly astern and head due west til you pass Hengistbury Head you'll avoid Christchurch Ledge. The tide will be running as you come past so don't go across the ledge-it'll be quite unpleasant.

After that make for 50 39'49.3"N, 1 55'14.5"W (a point about 200 yards off the Training bank beacon) and follow the main channel into the harbour.

BTW, if there's no fuel available and fuel becomes a problem I'll have a car there-I'm launching from Baiter so if someone babysits my trailer and boat I can always run to a petrol station.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2006, 19:17   #49

Town: West Sussex
Make: zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 115
Would also love to join you guys and put some names to faces ,but like slimtim I have not a great range 40 litres main and 25 litres back up and being fairly new to the area have not got a great knowledge of refuelling places etc .what would the total mileage be if I launch from Itchenor and then follow the route as suggested by biggles, itchenor to cowes I think is approx 18 nm ,just so I can be prepared and try and carry a bit more fuel in cans.If your happy to have a hanger on then i,m in.
Old 10 October 2006, 20:44   #50
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
My boats kept in Poole so I’ll probably head over to Yarmouth and meet the fleet there.

Poole is about 30nm from Cowes. Refuelling won't be a problem in Poole - Salterns which is pretty much on route from the entrance to the town quay is 24hrs. You've also got Cobbs Quay, also 24hrs, up in Holes Bay.
Old 11 October 2006, 09:59   #51

Toby,

I know you can refuel at Cowes easily and Yarmouth. What I will do is factor in fuel stops in the final route. As the plan is starting to come together now I am getting near to formulating a final plan. This I will do by Saturday night this week. This will give people plenty of time to ask for amendments or make their own plans to link in with us.

Can I ask everyone with intentions to go if they could list their crew numbers so Nos4r2 can reserve some tables at the Lord Nelson. Also could you give your launching places and times so that we can maybe launch in groups and help out those not familiar with particular slips.
Old 11 October 2006, 16:22   #52

Town: helston
Boat name: pressman
Make: Carson 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 370 yanmar
We will have four onboard and will be coming from Hythe Marina
Old 11 October 2006, 16:28   #53
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
^^ yeah that'd be appreciated if we're all agreed on trying the Lord Nelson.

If anyone's launching from Baiter in Poole early drop me a PM. I'll be down at Baiter fairly early (8-9am ish) and wearing a drysuit so can help out with launching.

Old 11 October 2006, 19:54   #54

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye 650 Sport
Engine: 150HP
MMSI: 235038283
Send a message via MSN to AndyB007
I hesitate to throw my hat into the ring for this one as we bottled the Yarmouth trip due to the weather (new boat, new crew) but weather permitting and crew tolerating I will be out on the water that weekend and would be up for another trip to Poole - maximum of two for lunch I would think (might be just the one! ). We'll be coming from Southampton.

When we went over to Poole in the summer we moored at Poole Quay Boat Haven (as noted earlier) and ate at a really funky place called 'Mint' (used to be the aquarium from my childhood days) which (if it's open) will be more than large enough to accomodate the group and is a bit 'different' (if you've been there you'll know what I mean!!). Food was good and not too pricey by Poole standards. That said, more than happy with Lord Nelson if this is the consensus.

Andy
Old 11 October 2006, 20:31   #55
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Any more suggestions? I'll ring round them and check them out at the weekend.

Old 11 October 2006, 21:24   #56

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Have just checked my diary and none of my boats are out that day, so if there is still room for another boat count us in.
Old 12 October 2006, 17:30   #57

The more the merrier.
Old 12 October 2006, 17:37   #58

Interim Plan

Okay, Here goes for an interim plan so people can start to make their own plans.

High Tide at Cowes = hrs meters

High tide at Poole = hrs meters

Sunset is = (Might be an idea to ensure lights are fitted and working)

Charts for reference =

The above bits will be completed once I know them.

1030 hrs all those from the Central and Eastern Solent areas meet off Cowes at Gurnard Black./Yellow Buoy - N50 46.191 W1 18.819.

Fuel is available in West Cowes just south of the chain ferry at N50 45.392 W1 17.550. Exact cost not known but I paid £1.20 per litre last month.

Toilet and coffee stop available next to the Red Funnel Jet Boat landing at West Cowes. N50 45.542 W1 17 559. A landing fee should be paid to the Harbour Master.

If any one needs to refuel etc can they plan to do this prior to 1030 hrs.

For information popular distances to Cowes from the following places are:

Langston Harbour entrance - approx 11 Nautical Miles.

Portsmouth Harbour Entrance - approx 8 Nautical Miles.

Chichester Harbour Entrance - approx 15 Nautical Miles.

Southampton - Itchenor Bridge - 9 Nautical Miles.

Depart Cowes at 1030 hrs and head for Yarmouth keeping to the Island side of the West Solent. Approx distance = 9 Nautical Miles. At 20 Knots this should take less than 30 mins.

Arrive Yarmouth 1100 hrs.

Rendevous Point just outside Yarmouth is just west of the harbour entrance at the small craft moorings. N50 42.499 W1 30.269

Here we will break for 30 minutes. Fuel can be gained from within the harbour and also a quick toilet break or snacks can be obtained. There is a short landing jetty next to the refuelling

point. As long as we don't mob hand it we should be okay to avoid any landing fees.

Depart yarmouth at 1130 hrs and head for Poole. Their are no intended stops between Yarmouth and Poole.

Distance from Yarmouth to Poole is 18 Nautical Miles. At 20 knots this will take close to one hour. Therefore our arrival off Poole harbour entrance should be 1230 hrs.

Our course from Yarmouth to Poole will follow the following course.

1) Sconce at N50 42.641 W1 31 926.

2) Off NE Shingles at N50 42.052 W1 32 976.

3) North Head at N50 42.744 W1 35.447

4) Off Henigstbury Head at N50 41.512 W1 44.714.

5) Outer limits of Poole Harbour marked channel at N50 39.261 W1 55.147.

It would be appreciated if Nos4R2 could meet us at this point and pilot us all in to the harbour and moorings for the Lord Nelson.

Matt. Could you outline a plan for the Poole Harbour sortie please. Including fuel etc.

Hopefully we should all be landed and at the bar at about 1300 hrs.

If we aim to depart at 1500 hrs this should get us back to Cowes about 1700 hrs, including stops for anyone requiring fuel at Yarmouth.

Participants so far are :- (Anybody is welcome though )

Biggles + 2
Pressman +3 (Four on board)
Slimtim
BenC
Neil Harvey ?
The Edges
Nos4r2
DJL
The Jackeens
Nauti Buoy
rickuk3

Anyone is welcome and if anyone has any ideas or can provide further information then please let me know.

As usual this is a casual cruise; skippers are responsible for their boats and the people on them – RIBnet nor I can not be held responsible for anything that happens. Obviously we will all keep a good look out for each other, and it should be a great day out.
Old 12 October 2006, 17:55   #59
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
The above bits will be completed once I know them.
Imray – Poole Harbour (Y15)

Cowes
LW: 08:32 1.7m
HW: 15:27 3.8m
LW: 20:56 1.6m

Sunset: 17:47

Poole
LW: 08:00 1.3m
HW: 11:46 2.0m
LW: 20:24 1.1m

Sunset: 17:50

It might be worth letting Poole Quay Boat Haven know that there will be 11ish RIBS arriving that day.
poolequayboathaven@phc.co.uk | 01202 649488 | VHF CH80
Old 12 October 2006, 18:24   #60
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Tides in Poole-Sorry bout the caps-its a c&p.

POOLE HAS A UNIQUE LOCAL TIDAL SYSTEM WHICH RESULTS IN DOUBLE HIGH WATER. HIGH WATER OCCURS BETWEEN LW+5 AND THE NEXT LW-3. NEAR NEAP TIDES THERE IS A STAND. TIMES SHOWN ARE FOR THE MIDDLE OF THE PREDICTED STAND.

Sat 28th October
0030 1.69
0710 1.30
1220 1.80
2000 1.13

<edit> these seem to agree with DJL-taken from http://coastguard.members.beeb.net/Main_Files/tide.htm
It appears my copy of Jtides is woefully inaccurate!

There'll be 2 of us on my boat.