Old 19 March 2006, 00:47   #1

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
slipways and launching

I have just been looking at www.boatlaunch.co.uk but can't seem to get any usefull info at all . Is it me or is this just a map showing basic location of possible slipways .
It shows a little red arrow for a slip and then names the slipway , at lest one of the local ones to me it shows is not a slip at all launching a canoe is difficult enough although there was a slip and harbour many many years ago.
On the North coast of Cornwall all I get is an outline for most of it .

Is it me what am I doing wrong ? do I need to subscribe or something ?
Old 19 March 2006, 01:35   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
You probably have pop ups blocked - try holding down ctrl key when you click.
Old 19 March 2006, 16:00   #3

Ahh me and computers not exactly on all cylinders all the time .

Thanks it gives an idea of where to look to launch but i guess until you get there its a lottery . Unless there is a way i still can,t find .

One slip and harbour is mentioned near me called Portwrinkle, you would be very disapointed if you tried to launch a boat that you couldn't carry . The harbour was destroyed bya storm many years ago and the ramp to a shingle beach has concrete bolards at the top . We launch canoes there to get to the beach nearby but wouldn't even try my sib unless there were 4 of us . If you drove down to it with a rib and trailer you would also habve a long reverse out , its a dead end really
Old 19 March 2006, 21:34   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Try Google Earth - if the area you want is in high res you are laughing - if not look at multimap and get up aerial photo - also try a google image search.
Old 19 March 2006, 21:59   #5

Iam looking for a decent launch site on the North Cornish coast to get to an area between Boscastle and Crackington .
There is a huge seal colony under High Cliff that is not well known but an amazing place to visit .

At mid tide there is a sort of enclosed area formed by the rocks , in a small boat you can just go in quietly and you are surrounded by seals on the rocks getting exited as they do when a boat arrives . Have not visited for a few years and my daughter will love the trip , anyone want to join me , its quite hard to find .

Problem is a decent launch site Bude is the nearest I can find and will do fine I guess just need the right tide .

I downloaded Google earth the other day and took a trip down the grand canyon , amazing , but couldn't find any other Hi res over this side .
Old 20 March 2006, 08:16   #6

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
Iam looking for a decent launch site on the North Cornish coast to get to an area between Boscastle and Crackington .
There is a huge seal colony under High Cliff that is not well known but an amazing place to visit .

At mid tide there is a sort of enclosed area formed by the rocks , in a small boat you can just go in quietly and you are surrounded by seals on the rocks getting exited as they do when a boat arrives . Have not visited for a few years and my daughter will love the trip , anyone want to join me , its quite hard to find .

Problem is a decent launch site Bude is the nearest I can find and will do fine I guess just need the right tide .
Ian, sounds really good would love to join you for the trip, maybe a couple of others as well (Kernow, Roycruse, Shaggy) Last summer I launched from the beach at Rock a couple of times, maybe another option.
Old 20 March 2006, 09:56   #7

Thats good

beach launch at rock is ok but a fair way down the coast from crackington .

Depends what boats you are in I guess , no point in me trying to keep with bigger ribs for a trip like that , or do you have sibs for playtime .

I must have a look at the map , at present my mind works in days paddling for a sea kayak which was about 20 miles for a comfy day .

Weather need to be calm to see the seals because as you you know that coast gets it quite hard .

How much notice do you all need ie week before when tides and weather are favourable .

Also some great snorkeling etc along that stretch rocky and clear
Old 21 March 2006, 08:38   #8

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes

How much notice do you all need ie week before when tides and weather are favourable .
About a week sounds good, let us know when you are planning the trip and will try and join you.
Don't mind launching Bude or Rock, whichever suits.