Old 03 December 2002, 20:16   #141

Town: Worcester
Boat name: Cheap 'N' Cheerful
Make: Avon C
Length: 3.5 metres
Engine: Mariner 8HP O/B 2 stroke.
We won't fight you in the Orkney's we'll get Keith to eat you!!
TLS.
Old 04 December 2002, 08:55   #142
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Keith

Just wondered whether The Black Hart be appearing at some point during the Orkney Expedition week?

John
Old 04 December 2002, 13:05   #143

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
JK, the last person you would want to meet on a dark Orkney night is 'The Black Hart'. However, I might take up his Tarot cards.

Keith (alter ego) Hart
Old 07 December 2002, 13:14   #144
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
WGS practising for the Orkneys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-002f.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	1451  
Old 07 December 2002, 14:01   #145

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Blimey,

Has your Rib got a swimming pool also. I also am pleased to see that you are wearing all the proper safety gear.

Regards
Stuart
Old 07 December 2002, 14:10   #146

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
That boat looks too big to be one of the expedition participants, I'm afraid it'll have to be one of the safety boats.

Matt
Old 11 December 2002, 10:43   #147

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Have I just Found Keith's Secret ??

Hey is that what we are expected to see during the expedition??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mrh.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1463  
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2002, 12:20   #148

Unlikley Manos, but the views will certainly be spectacular.

Keith Hart
Old 12 December 2002, 10:18   #149

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
I'm Sure that

the views will be briant Keith!!
Have been to Sctland 2ice now and I always came back with the BEST of impressions
Old 12 December 2002, 14:38   #150

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Manos and Matt. I think it just you two guys that were looking a getting in some diving at Scapa Flow.

I have now spoken to a dive org called Scapa Scuba. They arrange day boat stuff up there but are pretty much fully booked for August already. What they have said they can offer us is this.

First, a skipper to take charge of my RIB so that we can dive off it. No anchoring permitted over wrecks so somebody competent/licensed by Orkney has to do this. That would cost £70 for the day - two dives.

They can supply tanks of air at £5 each per dive.

They can supply a dive guide - optional at £100 a day for 2 divers. £25 per person per dive. If we don't want the guide the skipper can brief and provide maps for each dive as part of the £70 fee. Not an extra.

We have to get a diving permit from Orkney but there is no charge for this. I have the relevant telephone number.

Got any views?
Old 12 December 2002, 15:14   #151

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Personally I don't think we need the guide, it's just extra expense and it seems like we'd do alright just on the info from the skipper. I'm certainly still interested in diving whilst up there. If they're providing the cylinders, even better as it's then less gear to take up.

Matt
Old 12 December 2002, 18:52   #152

Mike G

That is great
I think will go for the guide. Much better to dive with someone who knows the area. I will feel more easy about it. I have never dived in Scotland and I think is a good idea and SAFER to have a guide or someone who has dived in that area before.
I have dived wrecks before (in the Caribbean, the Med and the Red Sea) and I can say that is a bit of a dangerous bizs if one doesn't know what he/she doing.
So, I will go with what you saying is a deal we have the guide and two days diving (2 dives per day)!! and is not that much if we split it by 3 or 4.
Old 13 December 2002, 07:01   #153

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
OK Manos and Matt. It can go on the back-burner for while. The bits are now in place for a revisit closer to the time.

Cheers...
Old 13 December 2002, 09:12   #154

By the way

....I have all the diving gear and will only need some air supply.
Old 14 December 2002, 10:57   #155

For all you diving entusiasts

I have posted some photos at

http://ribworld.jhost.co.uk/forum/sh...2644#post12644

Hope you like them
Old 15 December 2002, 09:35   #156

Orkney Factoid
Another factoid in a series designed to whet the appetites of the intrepid Orkney expeditioneers

The BA Game

Twice each year, on Christmas Eve and Hogmanay, householders and shopkeepers along Kirkwall's winding main streets barricade doors and windows in preparation for the next day's traditional Ba' games.
The Ba' is played on Christmas Day and New Year's Day every year.

Uppies and Doonies
The men and boys of the town are designated "Uppies" or "Doonies" - an affiliation that originally depended upon your place of birth. If you were born to the north of the Cathedral you were a Doon-the-Gates (Doonies), whereas those born to the south were Up-the-Gates (Uppies).
These days, however, family loyalty is usually more important than the place of birth and many players will play for the same side as their father and grandfathers did before them - regardless of the position of their current home.

The Ba'
The ba' itself is a handmade, cork-filled, leather ball specially made by a few Orcadian craftsmen.

At the stroke of 1pm the ba' is thrown into the gathered crowd of men from the Mercat Cross in front of St Magnus Cathedral. Once it lands in the pack of assembled players, each side must then try and carry* the ba' to their own territories at the opposite ends of Kirkwall.

The Uppie goal is to touch the ba' against a wall in the south end of the town, while the Doonies have the unenviable task of getting the ba' into the water of the harbour to the north.
When the ba' reaches the pack, the players form a tight scrum around the leather trophy while players on the outside brace themselves against the buildings to prevent the opposition gaining ground.

The streets become their playing field and a typical game can go on for hours, with a heaving throng of men pushing and pulling to try and gain a few metres of ground. Very often during a game the majority of the players have no idea where the ba' actually is.

When the pack breaks, chaos erupts and the players in possession of the ba' will try and get as close to the "goal" as possible before being stopped and the scrum quickly reforms around them.

Numerous tactics are used to achieve the goal. Players have been known to smuggle the ba' through Kirkwall's winding lanes and even attempt to reach their targets via the rooftops.
There are no hard and fast rules and although the game is fairly rough, tempers are usually held in check and foul play or "inappropriate behaviour" is not tolerated.

Given the nature of the game, injuries are few and far between and more often than not it is usually unfamiliar spectators that tend to get in the way of the game that are hurt most often. When the pack breaks, there is very often not much room to run!

The ba' is a coveted trophy, awarded after the game to a player in the winning side who has been a notable participant over a number of years.

Folks I've seen this...it's awesome!

Keith (on the ball) Hart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ba3.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	1472  
Old 15 December 2002, 13:49   #157

Town: N.C.
sounds like fun ...

and good time for a 'Ribbing'...

It seems that's not the only odd sport going on...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hole19.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1473  
Old 20 January 2003, 08:51   #158

I've just had a long chat on the 'phone with my pal in Orkney. He's off from work with a back problem at the moment, so over the next couple of weeks he's going to get busy with the map and telephone regarding things to see, places to go and accommodation.

Keith (now it is THIS year) Hart
Old 20 January 2003, 14:32   #159

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
orkney trip

I'm interested and will bring a rib (also a couple of mates etc) just need clearance from my better half and I'll be in.

will need details etc destinations and launching facilities as I need a ramp etc.

When you say ribs for back up I hope you mean just to be there as all I have is powerboat 1 and 2 along with icc and the vhf ticket. ( I am taking rescue boat course hopefully in May), At present I'm not anywhere near a rescue boat qualified!)).
Old 20 January 2003, 15:10   #160
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Mike

Keith is probably busy at work at the moment so I will try to answer for him.

This all came about because we dared Keith to cross the Pentland Firth in his sib "Quicksilver".

Once he agreed to do it (or try anyway), we thought it wise if a few larger, (and in our case, ribs,) went along with him for backup.
It snowballed (if you will excuse the phrase, from there).

Many people are now involved. I and some others will start off from the South Coast, and take 4 or 5 days to get up to John O'Groats. Others are towing their ribs up. Some are bringing their sibs in their cars.

We will all meet at JOG and set out (in various boats, sibs and ribs) across to Scapa Beach.

I have then mapped out, in great detail, a five day tour around various of the Orkneys, trying to take in all interesting sites. Some of this will be in ribs only, with sibs being carried by the ribs. Sometimes the ribs will stop, sibs will be launched, and those that wish, take a closer look at some of the sights i.e. The Old Man of Hoy.

Does this give a clearer idea of whats what? The course is now being checked over by locals to make sure I have not made too many boo-boos in the planning.

Once everybody is happy, I am sure Keith will provide access to all the detailed info, timing, routes, hotels, waypoints, bearings, distances, writeups on places of interest etc etc.