Old 04 November 2002, 14:54   #21

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Interesting thoughts coming out here:

1) I don't think anyone can blame a club, in this case BIBOA, for a lack of enthusiasm for any event. I have organised cruises before and have had two boats show up when there were 14 confirmed craft.

2)Unfortunately there are many time-wasters in our sport -Sibbers and Ribbers included here.

3)My suggestion whether it be a cruise, event, whatever, was primarily to spread the word (max coverage) as many sibbers etc do not frequent this forum.

4)As an idea, Keith and other sibbers. Many rib cruises venture into rocky inacessible places as this year's cruises have shown. Why not ask ribbers if you can go along and bring your sib for use as a tender or pottering around the shallows. Richard (Pepper) did this with his sib and I thought it was a marvellous idea. That way you get the best of both worlds.

5)Don't let your membership lapse - we need you!

6)Where were all the sibbers at the annual sib conference held in the Minquiers during August? Perfect sib country
You'll never never know, if you never never go!

7)Just because the name remains the same does not mean we boycott the club? It's the people, personalities, cruises and events that make the club - not the name!
Old 04 November 2002, 16:36   #22

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Expedition Update

Hi folks

Gosh there has been a flurry of activity (mainly from Brian), so just to put things into perspective here are the plans so far.

As Brian has suggested the whole crossing is very weather dependant. What do we do if we all get up to the North Coast and find that the wind is not favourable? Do we just sit and wait? Do we have an alternative (plan B) expedition in mind?

I know the North of Scotland well and I can tell you that there are some great places for SIBs and RIBs up there, so even if the Pentland Firth was out of bounds for the SIBs there would be alternative adventures to be had. I would imagine that anyone going up for the expedition would be making a week of it in any case. So how about this then?

We set a definite week for the expedition to Orkney. Say Sunday to Sunday. We meet up at my house (Hilton of Cadbol) http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=newsearch.srf
on the Sunday evening/afternoon, chill out a bit, discuss the expedition, check out the charts etc. eat, drink and stuff like that.

On the Monday we take the boats out together from Balintore and do a bit of a trial run into the Cromarty Firth or even just in the Moray Firth.

The next day, Tuesday, we set off for John O'Groats (JOG) to begin the expedition proper. Assuming the weather forecast is favourable that is. If not we take a run out somewhere else, Ullapool for example on the West Coast.

Anyway assuming that we make the Orkney run on the Tuesday we spend the night in Orkney where we eat (oh yes, I had to mention food again), drink and be merry.

The following day, Wednesday, we take the boats out around Scapa Flow, perhaps across to Hoy and South Walls. I can tell you that the little cemetery where the lifeboat crew from the 'Longhope Lifeboat Disaster' are buried is one of the most atmospheric places I have ever been to. We spend that night in Orkney again and, yes you've guessed it, we eat, drink and be merry.

On the Thursday we plan to travel back over the Pentland Firth. Right, so having got there with the SIBs what happens if the weather is not favourable to get them back to the mainland. Well we just stay there 'till it is! No, that's a joke. I have a cunning plan Baldrick. If, for example, David Manning and Mike Garside manage to come along as 'support boats', we deflate the SIBs and bung them into the big RIBs. Yes, it might take a couple of trips but I'm sure we could get the tiddlers back to the mainland that way.

We then make our way back to base (Hilton) where we (you are getting ahead of me here) eat, drink and be merry.

That will then leave Friday for any other day out people want or for travelling home again. So we have a couple of days at the beginning and end of the trip as a weather 'buffer'.

I can arrange B&B at a very reasonable cost at Base Camp Alpha (Hilton) and my pal Ian can look into the logistical support on the Orkney side (I haven't asked him yet, but he is down here (Birmingham, and he and his lads are staying with Marjory and me) for the 'Bike Show in a few days time and I will drop it on him then!).

I am up in Scotland for the New Year and as Brian (he's bloody good you know) has suggested I will take a trip up to JOG and do some recognisance (I hope the spell checker sorts that one out).

Brian has found a couple of good links re JOG and B&B for you to check out.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...s/johnogroats/

http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/johnogro.html

So who do we have interested so far .

Keith Hart - 3.4m SIB 15hp
Brian Elliott - 3.1m SIB 6hp
Matt Brown (Narked) - ? or crew member and ballast for Quicksilver if no one else is brave enough
David Manning - Avon Searider 5.4m 115hp Yamaha
Richard Bateson (Pepper) - 3.6 SIB 18hp
Mike Garside & Diana - 9m Ribtec
Natalie Hart - Expedition Photographer

Dates, obviously very important. August, but when, which week, any suggestions here please?

Right that's you lot up to date so far.

Cheers

Keith (Merry Man of Mey) Hart

PS You'll need to check out the charts for that one!
Old 04 November 2002, 16:43   #23

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Sounds good to me Keith.

I'm definately alright for the week long thing, providing the others are. As for specific dates, I'm not fussed, as I'll be enjoying a nice long break then anyway after A levels.

So I'll either be in my own boat, or crew for anyone else. Hey, If I'm brave I could even bring my wetsuit up and do a bit of freediving in those lovely warm waters!

Matt
Old 04 November 2002, 19:36   #24

Well I won't be getting the Bombard Tropik. Been outbid and it's going beyond the amount of money I have now, so better to stop bidding . Plus the reserve price still hasn't been met, so it looks like it would have been beyond my budget anyway.

I'll keep looking on boatsandoutboards.co.uk, and obviously the for sale forum here (nice looking SIB package in there today, but sadly being a package it's beyond my reach), but it looks like it's going to be a while before I'm sorted with a boat.

Keith, all this activity and talk of the trip is already getting me excited. I might just have to order myself the charts for the area and practice my chart reading.

Matt
Old 04 November 2002, 20:24   #25

Matt

Good idea. Point your browser here:

http://www.chartsales.co.uk/system/index.html

They sell secondhand charts from £2.50! New ones are about £17.00 and you can get used charts that have been kept up to date for about £10.00.

You can now easily update your charts at:

http://www.nmwebsearch.com/

You will need the NW Europe Chart Catalogue NP109. Marine Chart Services (see 1st link) will probably send you one for FREE. Admiralty Chart 2581 covers 'our part' of the Pentland Firth at 1:26,000

Go get 'em. Go play at plotting. Go have loadsa fun. As Brian says 'there's a lot of fun in the planing'.

BTW Scapa Fow has LOADS of great diving sites onto various wrecks from the WW1 German Fleet that was scuppered there. Orkney is a great place. Matt you gotta feel sorry for those poor sods on the South Coast who go back and forth along The Solent all the time!

Keith (the Viking) Hart
Old 04 November 2002, 20:26   #26

Yeah I'm aware of the diving on offer up there. Any other qualified divers going up? Maybe we could have a dive or two while we're there!

Matt (can't wait to go now!) Brown
Old 04 November 2002, 21:02   #27

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles
...sib for use as a tender or pottering around...
Don't forget that Andy & Jason Micklewright are now fully paid-up SIBsters! (Do you and Scott still have a SIB, Charles?)
Old 04 November 2002, 21:11   #28

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Certainly do. I want my Scorpion back!!
Old 04 November 2002, 21:30   #29

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
If you decide to go for 17-24th I would be very interested. I shall be in Ardnamurchan until 17th and could head up the Great Glen to Hilton of Cadbol.
I want to come along to check all these launch sites that you have been send me Keith and make sure that they really do exist!

Keep me posted please.
Old 04 November 2002, 21:31   #30

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
I want my Scorpion back!!
...how's the work going - on schedule?
Old 04 November 2002, 21:44   #31

Great news Geoff. I'll have them all polished up and ship shape ready.

keith (finder of slipways) Hart
Old 05 November 2002, 07:25   #32
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
I don't think anyone can blame a club, in this case BIBOA, for a lack of enthusiasm for any event. I have organised cruises before and have had two boats show up when there were 14 confirmed craft.
No one is anyone blaming BIBOA for anything. Just pointing out an apparent lack of interest in inflatable boats!
Quote:
My suggestion whether it be a cruise, event, whatever, was primarily to spread the word (max coverage) as many sibbers etc do not frequent this forum.
By all means publicise it in Riblines if that's OK with BIBOA, but making it a BIBOA event brings a lot more complexity and beaurocracy and stops it being an informal get together.
Quote:
Don't let your membership lapse - we need you!
Why should anyone pay to be in an organisation that they don't feel gives them any benefit? The needs of the organisation are surely not relevant!
Quote:
Just because the name remains the same does not mean we boycott the club? It's the people, personalities, cruises and events that make the club - not the name!
I haven't seen any mention of people boycotting BIBOA because of its name. People join a club because of the perceived benefits, and generally renew their subscription (or not) based on how well it meets their needs or wants.

By the way (just in case it seems that I am knocking BIBOA) I wholeheartedly advise anyone with a RIB to join the club and go cruising, racing, eating and drinking! The price of membership is trivial compared with the cost of running a RIB and is well worth it.

John
Old 05 November 2002, 08:01   #33

Okay, okay JK. But, do you have a SIB and are you coming to Orkney?

Keith (JK is God of RibNet) Hart
Old 05 November 2002, 08:22   #34

Here with some pictures of those of the intrepid expeditioneers who have declared an intention to participate if possible. If you aint on here then it's only because I aint got a picture. So get those attachments on the way.

Here we go:

David Manning - Avon Searider
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avon searider.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1308  
Old 05 November 2002, 08:25   #35

Bravest of them all, Brian (Brian The Brave) in all 3.1m and 6hp, so far the smallest (but bravest) of us all. Brian the Brave, we salute you. Here is Brian practicing for the expedition in the swimming pool on board Cyanide!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brian zodiac.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1309  
Old 05 November 2002, 08:27   #36

Yours truly contemplating the number of bacon sandwiches I should eat between breakfast and my mid morning snack!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	quicksilver.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1310  
Old 05 November 2002, 08:30   #37

Just to prove we aren't absolutley cracked, Mike's Ribtec. Looks just about big enough bridge the damned Pentland Firth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ribtec.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1311  
Old 05 November 2002, 08:33   #38

Pepper and Geoff, can you send your photos to me please.

Andy, still interested?

Keith (GOYADI) Hart

Get off Your Arse And Do It
Old 05 November 2002, 09:14   #39

Town: Sevenoaks
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Mariner
Send a message via AIM to Andy.R
Keith,
Definately probably still interested! Will depend on dates though as the next stage of the project at work is due to go-live during the Summer.
I'll be in touch and keep an eye on the threads.
Cheers,
Andy.
z
Old 05 November 2002, 09:50   #40

Great Andy, it's looking promising for the middle of August at the mo. Please email me a photo' for our gallery. Thanks.

Keith (interest grows) Hart