Old 17 August 2008, 17:01   #1

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Scottish west coast runs?

Having finally finished the boat, or at least as near as dammit by next weekend, I want to actually use it!
Does anybody fancy a run up the Clyde to the city centre one weekend, I would be leaving from Dunoon probably but we could also meet along the way if suits?
Lunch in town, I am sure we can find somewhere to tie up (will look into this) and return down the w'ater.

I also intend to have a run out to Inverie in Knoydart and have dinner at the Old forge, probably staying overnight, anybody interested before I start planning?

Also an overnight run out to Canna or Eigg, looking into mooring at the moment and probably leaving from either Ardtoe or Mallaig.

There must be others that these sort of thing appeals to or other suggestions welcome.

I have done all these places in the old boat myself but it would be nice to do them in company with other RIBs, plus it would give me someone other than the missus to talk to
Old 19 August 2008, 08:39   #2

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
the council have put a new pontoon in at the science centre looked secure the one they have at broomielaw is closed due to building of footbridge the no. for permission and codes for it was Tam McKee land services pontoon bookings 0141 287 9225 there is also pontoon beside crown plaza.
Previously on visits to the small isles etc i have launched at arisaig marine centre 01687450224 easier road than adtoe i suspect May join you at dumbarton if going up river
Old 19 August 2008, 17:45   #3

Town: glasgow
Boat name: lizzie
Make: avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100 marriner
MMSI: 235052306
Hi
The overnight run to Canna or Eigg sounds good when would
you be going.
Old 19 August 2008, 18:34   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quite fancy a run up the Clyde Bruce
Old 19 August 2008, 19:35   #5

Well lets pick a date then! The upper clyde is fairly sheltered. Any offers? How about 6th or 7th September? I will probably leave from either Dunoon or possibly Helensburgh, will look at the best option for time/fuel to go up the Clyde as Dunoon is my usual launch point for going down as far as Cumbrae.

There are free moorings and food (not free!) in Loch Nevis for Knoydart at two places so once I have looked at my on call rota I'll be pencilling in a date for that. This may be an overnight camping trip if the weather is good enough or possibly staying in the bunkhouse, still thinking. It also may just be a day trip, depends on time/money/others.

The favourite weekend for the Canna/Eigg trip is last weekend in September but depending if anyone else wants to go too this can be changed. I haven't found any info on moorings yet and no replies to my emails so far on the subject, I'll phone at the weekend and see what I can track down. I am sure someone will have a mooring somewhere that we can use.
Old 19 August 2008, 19:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Well lets pick a date then! The upper clyde is fairly sheltered. Any offers? How about 6th or 7th September?
Sounds good to me

Any other takers for a Clyde blast ?

COME ON ALL YOU CLYDE RIBBERS !! ..... and ...The Grocer (seeing as he is outside Clyde Port Authority Limit )
Old 19 August 2008, 20:05   #7

Well lets start organising it then.
Takers for 6th or 7th stick in an oar for which date. My preference would probably be the 7th but I am flexible at the moment.
I'll call the numbers above over the next couple of days and find a pontoon. Say work backwards from a 12 noon arrival in Glasgow?
I'll get out the charts and work out how long it should take and we can set meeting times along the way based on working back from the midday arrival time.
Where would anyone else be launching?

Should be fun............
Old 19 August 2008, 21:01   #8

Quote:
Well lets start organising it then.
Takers for 6th or 7th stick in an oar for which date. My preference would probably be the 7th but I am flexible at the moment.
I'll call the numbers above over the next couple of days and find a pontoon. Say work backwards from a 12 noon arrival in Glasgow?
I'll get out the charts and work out how long it should take and we can set meeting times along the way based on working back from the midday arrival time.
Where would anyone else be launching?

Should be fun............
7th is good for me too atm .. I'll blag a tie up in Kip the night before and go from there .. or from Largs at worst.. we could meet by the Cal Mac terminal at Gourock if there is a group before we go upstream
Old 19 August 2008, 21:17   #9

IBWET empty your PM BOX .. broadcast message sent but I dunno how many got it
Old 19 August 2008, 21:28   #10

Looking at the chart on the wall it looks like Dunoon is the best launching place for me, Helensburgh is a bit further upriver but its a fairly long trek towing round for my from Oban.
Gourock looks like about 20-25mins away but I'll need to get the large scale charts down from the attic as I am working off the framed chart on the wall at the moment and its not too large (its a WW2 German U boat chart of the Clyde approaches and North Channel )
If your'e leaving from kip we can meet on the way via mobile contact on the way up.
Unless there is a major problem we'll call it the 7th then, have emailed Clydeport for info and contacts as it will be a group and se what they say.
I'll start a thread specifically for this trip now to save confusion.............
Old 19 August 2008, 21:55   #11

Quote:
I am working off the framed chart on the wall at the moment and its not too large (its a WW2 German U boat chart of the Clyde approaches and North Channel )
SSo .. ze meeting point unt details shall be found hea ..

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26071