Originally Posted by Poly
I'm remembering back to that planning session we had in a Stirling hostelry for the first one! Every time we had another glug of our pints we got a bit more adventurous with the distance!
I remember it well Poly... and it was a very enjoyable evening too...and all our outings together have been a complete success.
I confess..when HH posted this ..my initial thoughts were ..that is far too ambitious a route for going on a pre set date. It is the reason I hesitated adding my name . I have since spoken with HH to confirm that route was his plan before I posted the map
If I am honest about it ..knowing the area ..and the normal weather ..I would not be surprised if we end up going into Loch Fyne as in the previous year...or perhaps cross to Arran and along the Northern end before returning if its good weather.
I realise its not everyone who wants to sit in a SIB going those distances in a bouncy sea. However if the weather is calm ..it would be possible and also be very enjoyable...and if that is what folks want to do..I will tag along. I wont if I think it is not safe to do so regardless what others do.
Like all the outings I have been on..each and everyone starts with an initial plan. However they change as conditions change..everyone has to realise that.. flexibility is a must.. it could even be cancelled altogether if weather turns nasty
That is why I posted the video of the September outing. It lets folks see the plan changed as we went. Because the forecasted storm for the second day..I suggested going the intended route over the first good day. We then changed campsites so we only had approx 6 miles to go in force 5-6 seas hugging the coast too. It was a complete success. I would not recommend open sea crossings in strong winds.
However as mentioned..its nothing to do with me..and I will happily go round Arron if it is possible..but I will also not do it .. if I think conditions over the two day period were not suitable. Those that are braver..can ..I wont stop them..its not my place.
I should add the usual disclaimer ..its a meeting of like minded SIB’ers and not an official outing. Everyone is responsible for their own safety .. we all assist if there are problems..but ultimately any accident is not covered by any other person attending ..unless Highland Haggis knows otherwise.
Boats have to be suitable and seaworthy for such a journey .. Have the ability to keep on the plane in a normal sea conditions .. carry all relevant safety gear and wear kill cords etc
..the Skipper carries full responsibility for his boat and crew.
I am also making it absolutely clear to all..its nothing to do with me ..I will attend..and I will offer advice..that is all..Im just another guy on the outing otherwise.
Chrissybaby ..there was a young lad on the last trip in the Clyde..he thoroughly enjoyed it. Women and children are welcome ..just remember..you are responsibly for their safety. Just make sure your partner is aware that it is a night wild camping .. she may need to do her doings in a bush or behind a rock further along the beach. So far on all the trips I have attended ..everyone has behaved like gents..so I don’t expect there will be any issues.
This photo was from the last outing we had in the Clyde..it was too rough to cross to Arran which was part of the initial route plan..we kept to sheltered areas ..not far from shore.
There is both a SIB and a Sub in there somewhere
Lol Xk59D ... it drove me mad too..I had to search the whole of the area in case there was a village called Arron that I was not familiar with