Old 29 July 2021, 18:24   #41

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Hi folks just spoke to mark the care taker about Friday night camping there is no problems with camping there as for the camp near the slip way this has a problem because of the amount of people now doing it if anyone else wants to join us there welcome to do so but at our camping spot I have been asked not to describe where we are camping by the care taker due to people finding out which could stop us from going there in the future if you need to speak to me call 07383 117110
Old 29 July 2021, 18:56   #42

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
I think you will find they are encouraging tourism Gazzago .. they just don’t want folks parking up and pitching tents in the public car park

An example of encouraging tourism is the company who now take visitors to the castle that you mention camping at.

Cumbrae Voyages ~ Day Trips on the West Coast of Scotland

They have the owners permission.. do you have the owners permission to camp there ? You could end up upsetting those people if they land their tourists and find you lot sleeping around the place. So please..in the interest of everyone ..dont break our Access code on wild camping by camping near historic buildings or houses ..its things like that which are ruining it for everyone..plenty places to camp elsewhere that will not bother anyone.
They only run trips 1 weekend per month but there is a full time caretaker living on wee cumbrae now, there is also a landing charge of £5.00 payable at the honesty box at the head of the pier. They have been clearing up & cutting paths so easier to walk over to the lighthouse if you cant land there due to conditions
Old 29 July 2021, 19:40   #43

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Thanks for confirming that Beamishken .. HH is now aware there is a landing fee of £5 as I told him about it this evening.. I was passing on the info in case he didn’t know.

As his reply above .. he has permission from the island care taker so that is not an issue. Anyhoo HH has it all in hand so as mentioned before..

I wish everyone great weather and a fantastic trip..it is a lovely area.
Old 29 July 2021, 20:21   #44

I spoke to the old yin earlier this evening and have reassured him I have been giving permission.
Even the gurnard has lost camping spots due to the influx of new travelers destroying camp sites and also local people getting upset due to the mess being left unfortunately due to this outbreak of COVID-19 more people are staying within the uk and camping and buying water craft with no knowledge or skills acquired to use them.
But everyone is entitled to travel and roam as long as they clean up and abide by the rules sometimes they just forget or just don’t care attitude then this forces locals and councils to take harsher measures which impacts on everyone.
Sorry for the rant but please think about other’s when out and about and take your mess home and don’t out stay your welcome all the best and stay safe HH
Old 29 July 2021, 20:31   #45

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Thanks for confirming that Beamishken .. HH is now aware there is a landing fee of £5 as I told him about it this evening.. I was passing on the info in case he didn’t know.

As his reply above .. he has permission from the island care taker so that is not an issue. Anyhoo HH has it all in hand so as mentioned before..

I wish everyone great weather and a fantastic trip..it is a lovely area.
Cool I'd only speed read the thread & hadn't twigged he was camping on wee cumbrae i thought friday was planned for mainland hence the discussion re largs. We anchored in the bay by the castle overnight last weekend & hadn't realised it was the trips weekend, the beach was like blackpool on a sunny day, not like the deserted cumbrae we know we did walk over to the lighthouse on sunday but the volume of folk we bumped into spoiled it for us as its usually deserted.
Old 30 July 2021, 12:41   #46
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
HH I know you know what you meant but I'm going to be a little bit nerdy and pedantic because sometime in the future someone else will read this thread and may misinterpret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
But everyone is entitled to travel and roam as long as they clean up and abide by the rules sometimes they just forget or just don’t care attitude then this forces locals and councils to take harsher measures which impacts on everyone.
HH
I think actually the problem is not forgetting or not caring - its selectively picking the bits of the access code that suit and ignoring the bits they don't like. e.g. The right to responsible access across access land (and freshwater over access land) do not extend to motorised transport; The provision in the access code, for "wild camping" is for "lightweight camping" as part of exercising access rights - so its not about driving to a layby camping next to your car and driving off the next day; its also not about campervans nor the sort of camping that involves carrying slabs of beer to and from the car, or generators and gheto blasters and the access code says camp away from roads and buildings.

Importantly for anyone organising trips like this in the future, whilst one or two boats and one or two tents are likely to be fine in lots of places groups of half a dozen boats and similar numbers of tents are likely to find it harder to find suitable spots and risk being told to move along unless pre-agreed as HH has done. There's also the possibility that you turn up and there's already a bunch of walkers, cyclists, kayakers in that spot and you might want a contingency plan.

The Scottish Government have made it easier for council's and landowners to make temporary arrangements for campsites and "aires" for campervans. FCS (the Forestry Commission) have taken a sensible approach to campervan parking in their car parks but unfortunately, we haven't seen many new provisions being made outside Highland Council area. I think that's a real shame, but not really a surprise from my interactions with local authorities who are using Covid as an excuse not to do things, rather than a reason to do things differently.

Of course whilst some might welcome tourists (especially tourists that spend money!) others are still wary as The Gurnard highlighted. I had some really encouraging chats with people in very remote places last week who were much more open than they were reported to be the year before because of vaccinations - but these are areas where (1) an influx of even responsible tourists causes problems with accessing basic local facilities - a three-week delay to book a ferry journey from some of the islands to the mainland; parking problems for old people going to the shops; erosion on paths/tracks that they maintain; (2) the nearest hospital is several hours away; (3) for 6-9 months of the year weather etc make it a though life and the tourists aren't swarming in then.

It requires some give and take and common sense - and talk of "entitlement" is probably not helpful for rebuilding the trust in remote communities about the downsides visitors bring.

Finally, just a little plea for those of you coming from south of the border*... mask-wearing is pretty much still a normal thing up here in any enclosed public space. Compliance on the CalMac Ferry last weekend was pretty variable, with some people putting them on when specifically told to do so by staff (apparently all the signs and tannoy announcements had gone unnoticed!) but removing them once the staff were out of sight. The large family from Reading who loudly proclaimed that "I thought we had got rid of this nonsense" and "well I'll just eat the whole journey so I don't need to" and "the children [teenagers] don't have to wear them at school anymore" (FYI they do in Scotland!) did little for cross border relations or indeed tourist-local relations last week! They might not work, they may be a sweaty hassle, but if it's making Old Mrs MacIver feel slightly more comfortable for her weekly trip to the shops or her first trip back to the mainland - shut up and cooperate.

*I may be wrongly assuming that this was linked to a difference in rules between Scotland and England, and it was just a coincidence that the unmasked accents I hear were from the South. I'm under no illusions that mask compliance in the rougher parts of Scotland is not perfect either - and the same thoughts apply if you are going to rural areas with an older population with few options to avoid you.
Old 04 August 2021, 08:47   #47

Hi folks time tables for tides
Friday H 12:02 L17:46
Saturday L 06:06 H12:48
Sunday H13:32
Monday H14:15
Some of us are meeting on Friday afternoon and having a little run out and camping out if you are coming up Friday night and you want to join us I will pop back and collect you please let us know by calling me or posting on here.
We will be leaving the slipway @ around 10:00 on Saturday you will need to bring food and drinks for the two days you are camping or you can buy your food when you’re out I will show you where you can eat or buy food from any questions please call me on the number above and I will be happy to help see you all there all the best and stay safe HH
Old 04 August 2021, 17:48   #48

Town: South West Scotland
Boat name: Viper
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Tohatsu m70c
MMSI: 232032576
Will the tide height be enough to use the concrete slip on Saturday morning??
Only have 2 wheel drive car😲
Old 04 August 2021, 18:00   #49

Yip you be ok to drop the boat in at that time if you need a hand we will be there to help
Old 04 August 2021, 20:55   #50

Hi folks the car park is free for just now and we’ve never had any issues with cars and trailers left over the few days we’ve been out hope this clarifies any issues with people all the best HH
Old 05 August 2021, 20:17   #51

Anywhere to get fuel on route just in case? Think I am taking enough 🤔
Old 06 August 2021, 06:23   #52

Yes we can get fuel on route
Old 09 August 2021, 11:11   #53

Huge thank you to the lads for your support throughout the trip, it was a great experience, I really enjoyed it. I know I'll have made some mistakes but hopefully I'll be invited back 84 miles.

Special thanks to HH for organising it,

Wow. 🤣🤣
Old 09 August 2021, 19:13   #54

Hi scooby hope you had a good time it’s not often you can go round Arron with the weather like that yeah everyone make wee mistakes now and then but that’s how we all learn from each other you are definitely welcomed on the next trip we do just keep your eye out I will do a full review of this trip during the week all the best and thank you to everyone who turned up see you all soon HH
Old 10 August 2021, 19:46   #55

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi all, what can I say "It was an experience"

Mostly good but with a few mishaps thrown in for good measure!

Learned a lot of things, which all bar one will be used over and over again. The "bar one" being an outboard sling. It's obviously good to know how to stop your OB snapping in half and drowning itself in the depths, but I never want that to happen again. I don't mind admitting the trip from our overnight camp site on Bute back to Largs was probably some of the most stressful hours I've ever had.

I have to say a huge thanks to HH, not only for organising the trip but also helping me so much when I really needed it.
I also really appreciate Zander and Ronnie nurse maiding me back to Largs, thanks guys it was a big comfort knowing you where both there to help if need be.

The OB is booked in for repair this Friday, I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes.

One thing is a definite, I'll be there on the next trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0798.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	138427   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0796.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	138428   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0805.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	138429   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0823.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	138430   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0812.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	138431  

Old 10 August 2021, 19:53   #56

A few more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0785.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	138432   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0802.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	138433   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0818.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	138434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0796.jpg
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	138435   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0799.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	138436  

Old 10 August 2021, 20:07   #57

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
The "bar one" being an outboard sling. It's obviously good to know how to stop your OB snapping in half and drowning itself in the depths, but I never want that to happen again.
I think we need some pictures of this, what happened.....?
Old 10 August 2021, 20:31   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
I think we need some pictures of this, what happened.....?
Sorry no pictures, far too busy nursing a 13 month old OB with knackered/broken upper engine mounts back to dry land under the brilliant guidance of HH.
Old 10 August 2021, 20:59   #59

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Go on then… how did you manage to break upper engine mounts… as in the main clamps do you mean???

We’ll not judge… well not much.
Old 10 August 2021, 21:02   #60

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Btw some good pics.

Tags
sib