Old 22 July 2021, 22:18   #21

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi HH, what time will we be meeting at Largs slipway?
Old 23 July 2021, 06:56   #22

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Saturday at 10:00 we will be leaving most people are there for about 08:00 to 09:00 to get set up and in the water if you need help settle up there will be plenty of hands to help if you need any more information please pm me with your number and we can chat about any issues you have HH
Old 23 July 2021, 14:31   #23

Town: dornoch
space for another sr4 , have missed a few trips may try get down friday
Old 23 July 2021, 14:58   #24

Yeah you’ll be the second S/R gazago has one that goes quite well

Some of us are camping Friday night four so far if you need information where we will be camping pm and I’ll give you the details I will be late there on Friday so can guide anyone in to the camp site
Old 24 July 2021, 19:12   #25

Town: dornoch
thanks highland haggis will pm you my details closer to the time. cheers
Old 25 July 2021, 15:37   #26

Town: South West Scotland
Boat name: Viper
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Tohatsu m70c
MMSI: 232032576
Can you camp overnight at the slipway??
Old 25 July 2021, 16:20   #27

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Can you camp overnight at the slipway??
Theres been much talk locally about folk camping around the slip especially camper vans. To the point that the council are erecting a height barrier over the car park to prevent camper vans getting access. That said plenty of folk seem to still park & camp there and loads camp beside the a 78 between Ardrossan and seamill on the way up to largs. Not sure if folk get moved on but it seems pretty unpopular. The marina are allowing folk to stay in campers in the marina maybe worth a call to ask about tents
Old 25 July 2021, 19:11   #28

Yes you can camp by the slip
When you come into the car park turn left and go up to the top right and camp on the grass there or you can join us on Friday night at our we camp spot but you’ll need your boat set up to get there if anyone one would like to join us at our camping spot Friday night pm your number and I tell you where it is HH
Old 25 July 2021, 21:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Yes you can camp by the slip
When you come into the car park turn left and go up to the top right and camp on the grass there or you can join us on Friday night at our we camp spot but you’ll need your boat set up to get there if anyone one would like to join us at our camping spot Friday night pm your number and I tell you where it is HH
How long is it since you camped at largs? The locals and council have a right bee in their bonnet about camping around the area hence the hurried decision to errect barriers to prevent camper van access. I'd double check unless you've camped in the last few weeks
Old 26 July 2021, 07:13   #30

Was there Saturday you can still get in with small motor home and car with boat trailer [emoji106]
Old 26 July 2021, 07:28   #31

Quote:
Was there Saturday you can still get in with small motor home and car with boat trailer [emoji106]
The new barrier is going in early august, it wont prevent access to the slip although it will make it more awkward but its installation is designed to prevent camper vans getting access as there are lots of complaints about folk camping in the area hence urging folk to check, I'm not sure if folk are being moved on or what the situation is.
Old 26 July 2021, 07:42   #32

Problem will be next with the council they will most likely have a legal case to answer because some people only have vans and small motor homes fare enough don’t camp out but that is after slipway for public use I do understand why they are done this but not all people leave a mess and the marina next door is losing out on revenue but they are fare over priced and the minimal length is six metres which is totally unfair to small boats and kayaking people this is going like oban where the ground was gifted but for free use now the council are charging for its use
Old 26 July 2021, 08:04   #33
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Problem will be next with the council they will most likely have a legal case to answer because some people only have vans and small motor homes fare enough don’t camp out but that is after slipway for public use I do understand why they are done this but not all people leave a mess and the marina next door is losing out on revenue but they are fare over priced and the minimal length is six metres which is totally unfair to small boats and kayaking people this is going like oban where the ground was gifted but for free use now the council are charging for its use

If you have a small boat or kayak it can surely be hand launched under the barrier even if your van doesn’t fit? I’m not saying that the councils approach in Largs is sensible but it’s responding to a real issue for the local people - if you lived there and the council did nothing you would probably complain that they are useless.

I’ve heard similar arguments here about buildings which were donated to “the people of the town” and the council ripping people off by charging for access - it needs maintained, many of the users are not from the town etc.

I’m not sure what legal case you think the council will have to respond to? It’s not like they have a duty to provide a slipway at all - those complaining may want to think carefully when councils are faced with cost for a facility they don’t have to provide often the easiest thing is to close it.
Old 26 July 2021, 08:30   #34

Fare points there poly I don’t mind paying for the use but at a fair price
Not at a 100% profit through
Old 26 July 2021, 08:57   #35

The problem is currently a lot of folk don't like the influx of visitors mainly due to covid but also congestion in largs. The council in a knee jerk reaction have agreed to allow largs yacht haven to instal a height barrier to prevent camper vans or any other high vehicles access to the car park. They claim this wont restrict slip access but it will make reversing onto the slip more difficult. The yacht haven have on site camper van spaces & a slipway, clearly its in their interest to make access more difficult for uses of both. Once installed these measures are a pain forever as they are unlikely to be removed when things settle down. I think the whole situation is ridiculous & council should install toilet facilities & welcome folk but thats not my decision. The locals argument is folk tip their toilet waste in the sea, which they may or may not do but where do campers tip theirs? Until the situation settles down I'd say camping in the area would be best avoided or we will end up with more restrictions which wont get lifted once installed
Old 29 July 2021, 11:37   #36

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Looks like the council have made their decision in this one. No doubt it will never be reversed. Only made tighter in time.

It’s a shame they should be encouraging tourism I would have thought. I wonder if they are going to provide space somewhere else for camper vans?

Anyway we are unlikely to be camping there.

Still time for any new boaters to join this trip. It should be a good introduction with plenty of folk around for advice and help if required.
Old 29 July 2021, 13:30   #37

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzago View Post

It’s a shame they should be encouraging tourism I would have thought. I wonder if they are going to provide space somewhere else for camper vans?
I think you will find they are encouraging tourism Gazzago .. they just don’t want folks parking up and pitching tents in the public car park

An example of encouraging tourism is the company who now take visitors to the castle that you mention camping at.

Cumbrae Voyages ~ Day Trips on the West Coast of Scotland

They have the owners permission.. do you have the owners permission to camp there ? You could end up upsetting those people if they land their tourists and find you lot sleeping around the place. So please..in the interest of everyone ..dont break our Access code on wild camping by camping near historic buildings or houses ..its things like that which are ruining it for everyone..plenty places to camp elsewhere that will not bother anyone.
Old 29 July 2021, 13:40   #38

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Fair enough Donny.

As is often the case we’ve only heard one aide of the story so far.
Old 29 July 2021, 13:47   #39

Scottish Sib Outing 2021

Hi I have spoken to the care taker who is looking after the site he has no problems with it as long as we clean up afterwards and don’t make a mess
I also have his contact number for any issues
I have also connected the farm at another site we could use as long as we keep it clean and fires below water line you also know this site Donny we have stayed there
Old 29 July 2021, 14:04   #40

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I hope I don’t sound a hypocric Gazzago.. I mention it only as its just worth knowing the situation in Scotland at present. I wont even land on islands anywhere near local folks as they are still very wary of strangers.

I do wish you all a great adventure and know you will have a ball down the loch you normally go and it should not attract attention. There is also a free place provided by the council in the kyles of bute specifically for this type of thing..it even has a toilet of sorts and a shelter.

Sadly the last time I was at the wild campsite near the pub further round..it was getting trashed by fire rings and rubbish. I know you guys wont leave that stuff behind.. but it is getting a sore point with many folks..so its worth noting... then everyone can continue enjoying the area and the hobby

Im glad you have the sense to get the owners permission HH that way you are covered. I know you checked last year that there was a new big car park made at the Kerrera ferry when you planned that trip ?

To be honest..Im delighted to hear they are putting a height restriction on the campervans as last year ..a couple of times.. I couldn’t park anywhere near the public slipway..so it will make your access a lot easier

Have a great trip everyone

Tags
sib