Old 21 July 2017, 10:39   #141
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The 10yr old Laphroaig would probably do a better job & you can use it to light the campfire too[emoji57]
I was warned against mixing the two. Out of curiosity I tried it one night. In a bucket, naturally. The resultant admixture glowed a pale yellowish and I got an aroma akin to burning wool - but that was only because I had splashed some on me gansey...
Old 21 July 2017, 11:52   #142

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Gurnard update ..

I will be leaving for Oban shortly.

Unfortunately because my skin is the colour of 10 year old Laphroig ..my doc has confiscated my drams too. I have some of the kids stuff stacked in my sack ... buckfast ..which I can have for medicinal purposes and lighting fires only .. it should make me a healthy pinkish colour too.

See you in Oban this evening..guys who are going
Old 21 July 2017, 12:11   #143

Town: Perth
Make: Funyak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 twatsu
May see you at ganavan this evening... Or tmrw morning. Setting off shortly. :-)
Old 21 July 2017, 12:18   #144

I'll be heading up tomorrow morning hopefully be there around 0830 am.
Old 22 July 2017, 10:30   #145

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Gurnard update ..

I will be leaving for Oban shortly.

Unfortunately because my skin is the colour of 10 year old Laphroig ..my doc has confiscated my drams too. I have some of the kids stuff stacked in my sack ... buckfast ..which I can have for medicinal purposes and lighting fires only .. it should make me a healthy pinkish colour too.

See you in Oban this evening..guys who are going

A good run out is sure to do you good Donny Mate!
Have a Great time Everyone...Hope the weather is kind.

Looking forward as ever to the Gurnalist report!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 10:40   #146
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Looking forward as ever to the Gurnalist report!
Too funny!...

https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...=1500719869022
Old 22 July 2017, 11:13   #147

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

The 'D' makes all the difference!!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 13:36   #148

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
+ 1 on the Gurnalist's report and looking forward to hearing how it all goes, don't forget to take some photos. Have a great time all
Old 23 July 2017, 18:58   #149

Hi guys just back from a great weekend with the guys. We went from Oban ..up the Sound of Mull.. then onto Salin in Loch Sunart before returning home the next day. I will get a video up of the adventure in a day or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Here one that the guys might find just as funny Willk ?

Urban Dictionary: Wilk

Old 23 July 2017, 19:05   #150

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Engine: 60hp Mariner
Glad to hear it went well guys. Managed to get out and do 20 miles on Loch Lomond today with the kids but nothing like your adventure.
Old 23 July 2017, 19:39   #151

Urban Dictionary: Wilk

Ahahahaha!
Time for a rethink on that username😂
Old 23 July 2017, 20:03   #152

Home after a truly memorable adventure. Fantastic weekend. Every days a school day, but I'm too tired to list everything I learned over the Oban Sib outing. Here's the highlights.
1. There are some great guys in the sib world. Real gents, and heroes. Really glad to have met you all, and hope to do again!
2. People who boat tinker! There were a huge variety of innovative solutions to various problems... Several of which I will definitely try to replicate, some seemingly too bizarre even for me! ( I will NEVER take a toilet tent when I am 'wild' camping on the boat!!!)
3. My boat can keep up with the fleet in generally calm conditions, and is not completely out of place. In rougher water, it plays at being a submarine far too readily! The boat can cope with green water over the bows, but I can't. Displacements speeds at just over tickover for over an hour in lumpy, confused water is very tiring indeed. And that's when the heroes shine! My boat is as wet as I expected, or even more so!
4. My boat may need improved engine mounting... The outboard backing plate may be too small, which seems to be causing some stress and twisting, and may also be responsible for buckets of water climbing over the transom between 8 knots and 12 knots, and impressive rooster tails at fifteen knots and up...
5. The radio and plotter mounting on sikaflexed suckers works well in most conditions but will not survive being sat upon.... Time to drill some holes maybe.
6. I saw my new favouritest place on earth this morning for the first time. I won't tell you where it is because crowds would spoil it. I was speechless, which those who have met me might have thought impossible.
Lots and lots of other stuff, but I'll let the other adventurers tell their stories now... Thanks to HH for organising this brilliant weekend, and to all who took part. It was great. Time for bed.
Old 23 July 2017, 20:15   #153

Well it was a pleasure to meet all the guys at this year's Scottish Sib Outing.
True gentleman every single one.
Another truly magnificent outing in the PVC sack of air.
Time for a cuppa then bed!
Old 23 July 2017, 21:43   #154
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Bill View Post
...some seemingly too bizarre even for me! ( I will NEVER take a toilet tent when I am 'wild' camping on the boat!!!)
What!?! You don't have a poo collection? How odd!

To be fair (and serious), it's fairly standard fair for large groups camping (The Scouts would approve). No-one wants to arrive at a remote campsite and find a crap behind every bush and rock. It's a massive issue on the world's big hiking trails - never lift a flat rock within 50m from the trail
Old 24 July 2017, 07:18   #155

Once the video is finished and if you watch it.. you will then understand the toilet humour behind Stevie’s remark Willk

Im proud to say.. Scotland enjoys some of the best laws on access and freedom to wander the countryside ..in the world.

Im also delighted to say that everyone on the trip respected that and followed the Scottish Access code for dealing with waste disposal. I saw at least three spades between the six of us ..and no one used them as trebuchets to catapult their processed meals out to sea. All were given decent burials .. as serious and as sombre as any Irish funeral

Human waste | Scottish Outdoor Access Code

I even took my used toilet paper home in a zip lock bag and dispose of it there. The campsite was left spotless and as it was found. The fire was built on sand at high water mark. In the morning all ashes were scattered in the sea and flushed away in the outgoing tide. No one would have known there had been a fire there the night before.

Any fish that were murdered were cooked and eaten. I guess the only thing anyone could complain about would be the amount of carbons we released into the atmosphere as we tidied the beach of old washed up wood. It was a lovely warm fire.

Yup .. each and every one of the guys took their freedom to wild camp very seriously ..as we always do.

My thanks to everyone on the trip for your company and craic on the outing...and I hope we can all meet again.

Special thanks to Highland Haggis for organising it. I hope all those travelling home today get home safe.

Video will be linked to when I get it made.. I have previewed the clips and there is some stunning footage..so it will be worth watching.
Old 24 July 2017, 09:25   #156

Talk about whetting the appetite! Any chance of a teaser trailer for the forthcoming epic???

And I must also echo your comments re the access code compliance.. We even cleared away debris washed ashore from careless mariners... Plastic bottles, a pen, a few bits of old rope...
From my own perspective... I have a digestive system predisposed to constipation from an early age... Now well trained, it can go three or four days without going... And if I had needed to go there were serviced public bogs at the launch site, at Saturday morning coffee and burger stop, at the early afternoon wine shopping pause, at the Sunday morning bacon butty stop, and back at the landing spot... I didn't need them, and didn't expect to need them, but they were there if needed. And I was equipped to deal with other emergencies. If Donny saw three shovels we had at least four between us... Mine stayed in the boat and was not needed.. We were not days away from civilisation... But the camp was much more than 50 metres from any 'trail'...
Old 24 July 2017, 10:29   #157

Hi Stevie ..Im sure you can appreciate I have a lot on today.. emptying boats and cars.. washing everything down.. including myself ..so it will be a day or two before I get time to put the full movie together.

However..as I try to please .. here is a short unedited clip. Although its my camera that filmed the scene.. its of the moment when Highland Haggis asked if he could use it while I made a slow flyby of "The Gurnard" for the gopro camera
It was because my full boat never appears in the movies I make. It wont appear in my final production either..but its an opportunity to show I had a boat too.

Old 24 July 2017, 10:37   #158

Coffee break... Thanks Donny. Tent hanging to dry. Engine flushed. Trailer hosed. Car opened and begun to air.. Waste into appropriate recycling.. More still to do. But more coffee first. Thanks again.
Old 24 July 2017, 15:38   #159
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Stevie, will be interesting to see pics of your set up, I think you should have been well placed to keep up with The Gurnard etc even in the lumpy bits from past experience.
Old 24 July 2017, 16:19   #160

Poly... Your name was mentioned several times in relation to the issues I have... I will start a separate thread once I have pics to explain what I now think may be a problem...
And for those interested in this sort of thing. Just been tidying fuel cans so can report I used almost exactly thirty litres over an estimated ninety miles (additional for the side trip to Salen and odd bits of circling) so three miles per litre which is close to my original estimate. At a handbook rate of six litres per hour at wot that would be equivalent to eighteen mph average over the weekend.... (But a LOT of the running was NOT wot so much slower average mph and longer than five hours running....)

Tags
sib