Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
It would've been as chough as f*** was it not?

Nope, tender as, don't forget they "regenerate" every time they shed their shells
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2017, 23:36   #62

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
It's cooking 'em too long that makes them tough, 20 mins tops, boiled in sea water with a lemon & a few bay leaves[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2017, 05:40   #63

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
whats a lobbie ??
Old 08 April 2017, 06:47   #64

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
whats a lobbie ??

Lobster[emoji106]
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2017, 20:08   #65

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
obvious really innit doh
Old 10 April 2017, 22:49   #66

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
I've been offline for quite some time but if the dates work and I can make it then i'd be up for tagging along, thoroughly enjoyed the 2016 outing!

Hope you get mended up Donny, enjoyed your company last year...
Old 13 April 2017, 23:07   #67

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Bill View Post
And if the weather/tides are appropriate - the pierhouse at Port Appin might make a nice lunch spot for those who like very good (expensive) food - and its a nice place for a picnic as well!
The Craignure Inn on Mull is also a nice place - but crossing the sound (for me) relies on very settled weather...
Ird not too bad for a baguette for lunch kind of thing..... ERR stopped in there last year. From memory my whatever it was baguette and a pint was sub tenner... dinner might cost more than your fuel burn!
Old 13 April 2017, 23:20   #68

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Ird not too bad for a baguette for lunch kind of thing..... ERR stopped in there last year. From memory my whatever it was baguette and a pint was sub tenner... dinner might cost more than your fuel burn!
Ok New phone.... lost my trusty menu button that made editing a predictive blunder easy......

Ird was supposed to be "it's", and for the avoidance of doubt I was talking about the Pier House....
Old 09 June 2017, 21:16   #69

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Well time is getting on could people please let me know if they are coming on the trip to mull so I have a rough idea how's coming I have worked out that between 50/70 Lrs of fuel will be needed for the trip there is a chance for people to fuel up at lochaline or Tobermory in mull if needed hope to here from you all soon Ali
Old 09 June 2017, 21:36   #70

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Engine: 60hp Mariner
Hey Haggis

70 litres of fuel based on what engine? That seems an awful lot, plus I have one 25 litre tank and a 5 litre spare so where will I keep the rest?

Not been pernicious, just wondering!

Nick
Old 09 June 2017, 22:26   #71
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Haggis, unfortunately I am unable to join you this year.
Old 10 June 2017, 04:35   #72

I always go over board with my fuel so I don't get caught out
Old 10 June 2017, 09:01   #73

Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 140hp
Hi

does a F-RIB count for this trip. I am thinking of taking a demo one?

Dave
Old 10 June 2017, 10:03   #74

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Highland Haggis ..my position is still the same. I was told in Feb that the waiting time for the treatment for my medical issues would by end of May at the latest. When that didn’t happen I phoned the hospital this week and asked when they now expected my treatment to start.. I was told its now end of September.

I contacted the complaints department who phoned me back yesterday afternoon and have now told me that if I have not heard of my appointment date in two weeks ..to phone them back. So I still can’t confirm for definite. Its a sad day when we have to make official complaints to get treatment for life sapping health issues...but that is the state our NHS is in at the moment.

I do intend coming if I can .. and am planning for it.

Re Fuel..its worth letting folks know the distances and let them work out their own fuel usage.

Its also worth pointing out as Poly has done in the past..that each skipper is responsible for their own boat... which includes their fuel usage .. that their boat is suitable for such a journey .. and they have safety equipment etc. Obviously everyone will keep an eye on each other and assist when and where possible. The meeting is only like minded folks meeting up and going on an outing together ...its not a formal Forum outing

So for everyone to decide how much fuel they will use ..its important to give an idea of distances.

Obviously its weather dependant.. but if the weather suits and the plan is to go up the Sound of Mull to Loch Teacus area..its approx 40 miles one way..so return will be a minimum of 80 miles.

Keep in mind that we will be doing speeds of around 15+ mph when the seas allow ..so its only approx -3 hours of travelling. If you plan on a start ..say around 10am which has been a reasonable time to start from past years..allow for an hour lunch stop ..we will arrive at the destination around 2-3pm. Some may want to spend another hour or so exploring..as it could be a long time to sit at a tent otherwise. Factor fuel for that if you intend doing some additional exploration miles

That info will hopefully others to work out fuel requirements. If weather is a bit rough on the day.. I suspect we could end up going up Loch Linnhe and into Loch Leven ?..distances then will be slightly shorter.

If its too rough for that option..we may decide to go into Loch Etive..which will be approx 40 miles round trip. I know from doing this regular..I have not much more than fumes left in a 25 litre tank when using a 25HP two stroke and 4.3 m SIB

Its always recommended to carry more fuel than needed.. we may be forced to travel at displacement speeds and against tides / winds which is why its important to carry extra.

For the planned journey to Loch Teachus..and it is a lovely spot on a nice day..I will be taking approx 50 litres for the 80 planned journey.. and possibly another 15-20 litres for backup..exploring etc. That is for my boat and 25HP two stroke outboard.

Only last month I did approx 100 miles going round Canna from Loch Ailort. If memory serves me correct..I used all my 25 ltr tank.. all my 12 litre tank.. plus a 5 litre container. I also used another 2 x 5 litre containers the crew kindly provided. He was left with his 12 litre tank..as it was the reserve. Everything else was used. Therefore 100 miles used over 50 litres on that trip

Therefore for my 25HP outboard..if all goes to plan ..50 litres will be borderline with no reserve.

Hope that helps clarify fuel requirements for anyone who comes along.
Its worth working out how much fuel you require if not taking the full amount and refuelling at Tobermory..there are fuel pumps on the pontoons. Perhaps its worth finding out opening times if refuelling there. Im not sure about refuel places if going to the head of Loch Leven. I know of garages in the area ..which will require a bit of a walk.

If anyone has any other info or advice on fuel usage for different size setups..or any questions that others can perhaps help with..just ask.

Hi Ashtonmarine..last year I went up the Sound of Mull in winds gusting to F 6 ..I was using my 2.75m F Rib and 6HP outboard. It took me the full day..but it was not a problem. Im glad I didn’t have to go down it .. against those conditions though..

I doubt we would do this outing in such sea condition as the top end of the Sound gets quite confused when a wind blows and three tide directions meet ..same at Lismore ..its got quite a choppy tide race to cross. Which is why the route cant be set in stone until we see the weather at the time.

Guess what Im suggesting is.. I know the F Rib will do it..if you can ..I see no reason why you wouldn’t be more than welcome.
Old 10 June 2017, 10:45   #75

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
yep defo coming i will have 43l main tank 25l reserve i do 18l/49 miles, not seen an F rib in action so would love to see you come along.
Old 10 June 2017, 11:22   #76
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
That seems an awful lot, plus I have one 25 litre tank and a 5 litre spare so where will I keep the rest?
How far will your 30L normally get you?
Old 10 June 2017, 11:24   #77

All boats are welcome even fribs
Old 10 June 2017, 17:38   #78

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
For anyone wondering what the area around Loch Teacuis is like .. here are some photos from some of my previous visits

First is a snapshot map showing where Loch Teacuis is.. its off Loch Sunart and east of Tobermory.

Therefore Tobermory on Mull is a possible lunch stop ?

Last time I left Tobermory with the RIB guys ..two weeks ago .. .we had to stop and let a whale cross the road. I cant say that happens every time..but it shown you never know what’s round the corner or swimming under your SIB..

Navigating narrow shallow channels at Carna and Oronsay heading for Loch Teacuis

Which is normally guarded by an army of .. seals

Loch Teacuis is a pretty but remote sea loch

I know of one or two wild camp spots on the way there..but do remember to bring midge nets. They have started eating folks early this year. They also love licking “skin so soft” gravy ..so don’t be fooled into thinking that can save you ..(my opinion only..others seem to find it works ?)

However a BBQ burger peppered with wild midge sauce .. while slowly roasted on a driftwood fire .. is a delicious treat for hungry human campers.
Wash it down with copious amounts of your favourite health drink ..while making up fishy stories .. and watching the sunset ..is not such a bad pastime either.

Hope that helps you visualise the area ..it is a worthwhile journey for those that enjoy that type of boating.
Old 12 June 2017, 22:33   #79

Town: dornoch
hi guys , i will be along with my trusty aerotec if life permits. will bring bbq and at least 50 litres ?. well worth bringing a rod along and also your midge net. i hope you make it along gurnard so we can catch up .cheers
Old 12 June 2017, 22:47   #80

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Chaps, I'd have loved to have come up but moving that little bit further north than last year has my journey time up to between 9 and 10 hours drive - with no stops - which combined with work/family life means it's a little bit too far for a weekend.

Have fun, last year was a blast and I'll be sad to miss it...

Tags
sib