Hi Highland Haggis ..my position is still the same. I was told in Feb that the waiting time for the treatment for my medical issues would by end of May at the latest. When that didn’t happen I phoned the hospital this week and asked when they now expected my treatment to start.. I was told its now end of September.
I contacted the complaints department who phoned me back yesterday afternoon and have now told me that if I have not heard of my appointment date in two weeks ..to phone them back. So I still can’t confirm for definite. Its a sad day when we have to make official complaints to get treatment for life sapping health issues...but that is the state our NHS is in at the moment.
I do intend coming if I can .. and am planning for it.
Re Fuel..its worth letting folks know the distances and let them work out their own fuel usage.
Its also worth pointing out as Poly has done in the past..that each skipper is responsible for their own boat... which includes their fuel usage .. that their boat is suitable for such a journey .. and they have safety equipment etc. Obviously everyone will keep an eye on each other and assist when and where possible. The meeting is only like minded folks meeting up and going on an outing together ...its not a formal Forum outing
So for everyone to decide how much fuel they will use ..its important to give an idea of distances.
Obviously its weather dependant.. but if the weather suits and the plan is to go up the Sound of Mull to Loch Teacus area..its approx 40 miles one way..so return will be a minimum of 80 miles.
Keep in mind that we will be doing speeds of around 15+ mph when the seas allow ..so its only approx -3 hours of travelling. If you plan on a start ..say around 10am which has been a reasonable time to start from past years..allow for an hour lunch stop ..we will arrive at the destination around 2-3pm. Some may want to spend another hour or so exploring..as it could be a long time to sit at a tent otherwise. Factor fuel for that if you intend doing some additional exploration miles
That info will hopefully others to work out fuel requirements. If weather is a bit rough on the day.. I suspect we could end up going up Loch Linnhe and into Loch Leven ?..distances then will be slightly shorter.
If its too rough for that option..we may decide to go into Loch Etive..which will be approx 40 miles round trip. I know from doing this regular..I have not much more than fumes left in a 25 litre tank when using a 25HP two stroke and 4.3 m SIB
Its always recommended to carry more fuel than needed.. we may be forced to travel at displacement speeds and against tides / winds which is why its important to carry extra.
For the planned journey to Loch Teachus..and it is a lovely spot on a nice day..I will be taking approx 50 litres for the 80 planned journey.. and possibly another 15-20 litres for backup..exploring etc. That is for my boat and 25HP two stroke outboard.
Only last month I did approx 100 miles going round Canna from Loch Ailort. If memory serves me correct..I used all my 25 ltr tank.. all my 12 litre tank.. plus a 5 litre container. I also used another 2 x 5 litre containers the crew kindly provided. He was left with his 12 litre tank..as it was the reserve. Everything else was used. Therefore 100 miles used over 50 litres on that trip
Therefore for my 25HP outboard..if all goes to plan ..50 litres will be borderline with no reserve.
Hope that helps clarify fuel requirements for anyone who comes along.
Its worth working out how much fuel you require if not taking the full amount and refuelling at Tobermory..there are fuel pumps on the pontoons. Perhaps its worth finding out opening times if refuelling there. Im not sure about refuel places if going to the head of Loch Leven. I know of garages in the area ..which will require a bit of a walk.
If anyone has any other info or advice on fuel usage for different size setups..or any questions that others can perhaps help with..just ask.
Hi Ashtonmarine..last year I went up the Sound of Mull in winds gusting to F 6 ..I was using my 2.75m F Rib and 6HP outboard. It took me the full day..but it was not a problem. Im glad I didn’t have to go down it .. against those conditions though..
I doubt we would do this outing in such sea condition as the top end of the Sound gets quite confused when a wind blows and three tide directions meet ..same at Lismore ..its got quite a choppy tide race to cross. Which is why the route cant be set in stone until we see the weather at the time.
Guess what Im suggesting is.. I know the F Rib will do it..if you can ..I see no reason why you wouldn’t be more than welcome.