RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Does anyone know if you can stick a tent up at ganavan over night?
It's unlikely to be welcomed and if you arrive by car you aren't lightweight wild camping, and thus subject to the protections that come from the Scottish outdoor access code. There are some local camp sites not far away. Or you could walk up the coast out of sight, or up the hill behind the car park along the track / cyclepath.
Old 19 March 2017, 15:53   #43

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Yeah you can camp out up there that's what I'am doing Friday night
Old 21 March 2017, 09:02   #44

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I guess that is a new arrangement Highland Haggis..but could explain why the No Camping and No Over Night Stay signs disappeared last time I was there ?

However .. I would suggest keep an open mind about camping there.. even though I presume it is now allowed .. simply because the date of the outing is high season and also during ”Glasgow Fare Fortnight” .

Campsites that take tents in the Oban area are few and far between.. and often fully booked during this period. So if there is now a free “wild campsite” close to town ..you may well find it over run with folks as Oban is understandably a popular holiday place.

The new Loch Lomond camping ban has extended well into the Trossachs too..which has the effect of pushing the partying car campers who made a terrible mess of that area..deeper into the countryside.. example Glen Etive. You can hardly move down there in July for tents etc

Im not suggesting don’t camp there..but if you have come a long way..the last thing you may want is to arrive then find it a free camp ground full of youngsters having a party. There is not much room to pitch tents although you can get a few at the far end.

Just some thoughts to consider ?..

This is a photo from Google Map of the car park..there is a little room for tents behind this view.

If I was arriving on the Friday.. and an official campsite was full.. I think I would launch my boat and camp on a quiet spot on Kerrera ? The party lot..if in the area .. tend not to go to an island nor do they like walking far.

Of course..if the car park had no other campers..its then not necessary. Its a couple of years since I used the car park..so cant really comment on camping there now.

Hey Jeff..I though you would have known about the flying boat base ?

I believe there is a Sunderland and two or three catalina Flying boats sunk off Kerrera ..that the divers go see ?. I had heard the Sunderland is full of large congers too..not that I fish for them.. I cant imagine anything worse than fighting a large wriggling conger aboard a small inflatable.
Old 21 March 2017, 09:35   #45

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
hi gurnard i ve been going to Oban for 35 years and didn't know, I've dived all over the area over the years but to be honest wrecks have never been my bag I've done a lot but the endless steel plate dosnt light my fire, i prefer the wall dives more into the scenic stuff and the unknown studing the sounder can come up trumps plus i love crab and lobster taste better when you catch yourself.
thanks for the heads up on camping i know there's a site at puffin divers but wanted something less formal might have a look see whats on the way up 360 mile for me so will need Friday & Sunday nights.

cheers
Old 21 March 2017, 09:49   #46
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
...but to be honest wrecks have never been my bag I've done a lot but the endless steel plate dosnt light my fire
Never ceases to amaze me how a crappy old coaster that you wouldn't give a second look at in port - becomes "a mecca for divers" once it's lying in 30m of water. It helps no end if "the fo'c's'le lies in 18m affording novice divers a fascinating glimpse of sea anemonies and kelp while the more experienced can venture to the stern at 29m and behold the massive screw built in Derby in 1902. Only the most experienced should penetrate the gloomy hull voids to explore the vast grain holds".......

Old 21 March 2017, 10:03   #47

RIBase
the best wrecks are the ones in the middle of nowhere they become an oasis then but they still dont do it for me get on a 30 m wall traverse back and forth fantastic.

going off topic i'll stop
Old 21 March 2017, 10:08   #48

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I tend to agree Willk..in fact..I can now imagine something worse that fighting a wriggling Conger in a small SIB.. fighting it in its home 17m under the sea. I'm sure its a fight I would loose

Hey again Jeff .. Im sure I will be about in the area ..so will keep in touch nearer the time. If I cant make it..you would be welcome to stop off at Stirling...as we have been promising to meet up for long enough

Re “Wild Camping” Things are getting a bit harder now ... if folks ignore the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park ban.. it can get them a criminal record.

Further afield..outside the National Park .. Last time I was at Taynuilt .. signs had appeared ..as well as closed gates. I can understand it because it is so close to folks houses. I would be the first to complain if folks started using the waste ground behind my house for their all night partys.. then leave in the morning and abandoning everything. Its a minority that ruin it for the responsible folks.

A common sight around loch Etive now

Its not a problem where we will wild camp on the outing.. we wont publish the exact place in advance.. but will arrive in the evening ..miles from any houses or other people .. have a few beers.. then leave the place as we found it the following morning. That is allowed...and very enjoyable. The local midges love that kind of outing too
Old 21 March 2017, 10:45   #49

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
there a couple of spots that I think would be good to camp on there is an island of Lismore with a pebble spit joining the two halves south east that would be good and theres another up loch etive we've had bbqs on both if the weathers rough I would go for loch etive if its calm I would go for the one of Lismore
Old 21 March 2017, 10:45   #50

RIBase
thanks gurnard your very kind i do hope you can make it though looking forward to a campfire chat, talking to a Cornish fisherman years ago in mouse-hole conger live at least 6 hours out of water and according to a resent tele program they are all female we see on wrecks that said teeth, rubber boat no thanks.
that pic is very sad but there's been a rise where i live in fly tipping just as bad its lack of respect for everything and everyone tossers in my book.
edit

as a back up plan to gurnards very kind offer i might stay at highland arts at Ellenabeich no far from oban to travel in the morning of the adventure pub close by for a meal [staggering distance joking] public toilets [clean] plenty of room.
new tent arriving today all sorted now.
Old 21 March 2017, 10:47   #51

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
thanks gurnard your very kind i do hope you can make it though looking forward to a campfire chat, talking to a Cornish fisherman years ago in mouse-hole conger live at least 6 hours out of water and according to a resent tele program they are all female we see on wrecks that said teeth, rubber boat no thanks.
that pic is very sad but there's been a rise where i live in fly tipping just as bad its lack of respect for everything and everyone tossers in my book.
fuelled by buckfast and a lack of brains its the drink of choice for your typical bellend about town
Old 06 April 2017, 19:41   #52

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	118864
Old 07 April 2017, 07:38   #53

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
...... but to be honest wrecks have never been my bag.......

Heathen!!![emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2017, 16:26   #54

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Heathen!!![emoji6]
unless they were full of lobies
Old 07 April 2017, 16:33   #55

RIBase
Quote:
unless they were full of lobies

Biggest lobby I ever had was off a wreck 14lb, yup 1 stone of prime seafood[emoji15]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 07 April 2017, 16:58   #56

RIBase
Quote:
Biggest lobby I ever had was off a wreck 14lb, yup 1 stone of prime seafood[emoji15]
Very nice,32 in one dive all caught in a discarded Gill net of Redcar scars fed the street that weekend
Old 07 April 2017, 17:08   #57

RIBase
Quote:
Very nice,32 in one dive all caught in a discarded Gill net of Redcar scars fed the street that weekend

Nice[emoji106]
Old 07 April 2017, 17:26   #58

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Wow!...that's a Monster!....
must have as old as you Dave!....hopefully not as Griselley

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2017, 17:45   #59

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Wow!...that's a Monster!....

must have as old as you Dave!....hopefully not as Griselley

I've got a photo somewhere but it's an old skool print not a digi. I'll try & dig it out & scan it. We estimated it at 60yrs old
Old 07 April 2017, 22:01   #60

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
I've got a photo somewhere but it's an old skool print not a digi. I'll try & dig it out & scan it. We estimated it at 60yrs old
It would've been as chough as f*** was it not?

Tags
sib