Click Here to Login

Old 08 August 2017, 08:21   #201

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
after reading your other thread 3.5 or 4 m boat with a 9.9 2 smoke you're going to be limited i would think on performance & keeping up with the pack in this case, not that i can offer any figures but i would think a 15 for the 3.5m & 20 for the 4m to do everything.IMO
Old 08 August 2017, 08:54   #202

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
after reading your other thread 3.5 or 4 m boat with a 9.9 2 smoke you're going to be limited i would think on performance & keeping up with the pack in this case, not that i can offer any figures but i would think a 15 for the 3.5m & 20 for the 4m to do everything.IMO
Yes that is a fear. Problem is I just bought the 9.8 and love its light weight. I also see quite a lot of videos on Youtube with 10 hp engines and the T35AE going well. You are never sure of the weight they are carrying however

Dennis
Old 08 August 2017, 09:14   #203

The 3.5ae and a 9.8hp will plane one up but add a load of gear and another passenger it's gonna struggle I think.
My Tohatsu started off life in 2010 as a 15hp.
It always got on the plane with
my mate and I and all our gear. We're both 6ft 2 and on the wrong side of 18 stone[emoji32] . Probably 250 kg in total payload on board.
That might give you an idea with regards what kinda load your carrying?
I changed the carb upping it to 20hp in 2011 - not massively faster but it now gets on the plane much more readily.
If it was me I'd go with the 3.5ae as it's gonna be big enuf for your needs. As said before its heavy and I wouldn't want to attempt wrestling the even bigger 4.0ae as a tender.
Old 08 August 2017, 09:22   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
The 3.5ae and a 9.8hp will plane one up but add a load of gear and another passenger it's gonna struggle I think.
My Tohatsu started off life in 2010 as a 15hp.
It always got on the plane with
my mate and I and all our gear. We're both 6ft 2 and on the wrong side of 18 stone[emoji32] . Probably 250 kg in total payload on board.
That might give you an idea with regards what kinda load your carrying?
I changed the carb upping it to 20hp in 2011 - not massively faster but it now gets on the plane much more readily.
If it was me I'd go with the 3.5ae as it's gonna be big enuf for your needs. As said before its heavy and I wouldn't want to attempt wrestling the even bigger 4.0ae as a tender.
Thanks Kamen

I agree it will be the T35AE. Gonna look at them at SIBS Boat show to see them in the flesh as it were. I am sort of hoping that the 9.8 will do the job as I don't want another outboard to buy

Dennis
Old 08 August 2017, 09:48   #205

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>after reading your other thread 3.5 or 4 m boat with a 9.9 2 smoke you're going to be limited... would think a 15 for the 3.5m & 20 for the 4m to do everything.

I have to agree with that as I said in BPs other thread about Honwave size choice.

Remember the Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke is a lightweight pumped up version of their 6/8hp motors. Compare that with most others where the 9.9 versions are de-tuned 15s. The de-tuned 15s are around 50% greater engine capacity than the Tohatsu which gives a far greater feeling of grunt mid range where you need it getting on the plane whereas the Tohasu gets its power from revving.

The Tohatsu suits a light SIB with light load where it can easily get on the plane and rev freely.

So not only do I think a 10hp is too small... I think you have the wrong 10hp for this use.
Old 08 August 2017, 10:30   #206

RIBase
Takacat Lite - inflatable catamaran boats - Technical Info
its hard when you have just bought an engine but why not look at a different style of boat the 3.4 lite above @ 35 kg all blow up would suit your engine and perform plus a great addition to the bigger boat as a tender.
Old 08 August 2017, 14:38   #207

I also have a 3.4 m rib with a 15hp 4 stroke on remotes with a console but that is a RIB and I want something a bit more substantial than my current SIB (a 3.2 m Jago). that I can take away with us in the Caravan rolled up

I cant see myself wanting to lug a 15 hp 4 stroke on and off the back I must say.

Plenty to think about and look at at the boat show in Southampton in a few weeks

Dennis
Old 08 August 2017, 14:51   #208

Just looked at those Takeacat and I rather like the look on those

Dennis
Old 08 August 2017, 15:35   #209

Hmmm?
If your looking for something to take in your caravan a Honwave 3.5ae ain't the boat for you I'm afraid .
It's much to big and heavy to lug around and carry in a caravan.
Believe me I've tried it[emoji27]
They are a PITA to set up as well - I soon tired setting mine's up and built a trailer for it within the 1st year of ownership.
I'm now using a Honwave t3.8 airfloor for taking in the caravan.
It's lighter and much quicker to set up and goes faster with my 20hp than the 3.5ae does.
The T3.8 t is 48kg all in.
It is awkward to lug in and out of my caravan alone but it is doable.
When I go away with the caravan and my mate we just put our gear in the caravan and in the roof box, fold the back seat in my Tiguan down - Tohatsu 20hp in the boot T3.8 in the back door on top of the folded down seats.
It's a doddle with two adults but a bit of a wrestle when I'm with the wifey and kids with the caravan and sib as I need to man handle it myself.
A lighter airfloor might be a better solution to your dilemma like a Honwave T3.2.
Your Tohatsu 9.8hp should plane it ok.
Old 08 August 2017, 17:43   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
Hmmm?
If your looking for something to take in your caravan a Honwave 3.5ae ain't the boat for you I'm afraid .
It's much to big and heavy to lug around and carry in a caravan.
Believe me I've tried it[emoji27]
They are a PITA to set up as well - I soon tired setting mine's up and built a trailer for it within the 1st year of ownership.
I'm now using a Honwave t3.8 airfloor for taking in the caravan.
It's lighter and much quicker to set up and goes faster with my 20hp than the 3.5ae does.
The T3.8 t is 48kg all in.
It is awkward to lug in and out of my caravan alone but it is doable.
When I go away with the caravan and my mate we just put our gear in the caravan and in the roof box, fold the back seat in my Tiguan down - Tohatsu 20hp in the boot T3.8 in the back door on top of the folded down seats.
It's a doddle with two adults but a bit of a wrestle when I'm with the wifey and kids with the caravan and sib as I need to man handle it myself.
A lighter airfloor might be a better solution to your dilemma like a Honwave T3.2.
Your Tohatsu 9.8hp should plane it ok.
I have a trailer for general use it is just when I go further. I can even keep and use my current 3.2 Jago I just wanted a bit bigger and more robust., I am now looking at the Takacat series.

I think I will leave all this now till the boatshow where I can get all excited as I am looking at something to buy which we all like
I think I will post a separate thread on the takeacat

Dennis
Old 08 August 2017, 18:03   #211

RIBase
Powerboat and rib did an articlal on the takakat wild camping I think it had a parson propane engine around the 10 hp range for info

Tags
sib