Old 16 July 2005, 16:24   #1

Town: liverpool
Boat name: summer
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 yam outboard 2st
Send a message via MSN to stedj
scotland mull oben

hi im going to be in the sound of mull from 5th -12th aug would like to meet up with any one. The plan is to go around mull. start at loch aline -tobamory 15miles,- coll 20m ,-tyree 10m,camp the night-fingles cave 20m ,-iona 10m,-oben 40m,-loch aline 15m stoping at each place and of course weather permiting . but of course im open to any suggesions
Old 16 July 2005, 17:15   #2

Town: Ardnamurchan
Make: Domar Corsair
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 20HP
MMSI: What?
Im on the other side of The water at tobermory (ardnamurchan)

Oh wait a minute, im most likely not available those dates.. bleh..

Good luck anyway!
Old 16 July 2005, 19:09   #3

we may be going there to strontain as well weres good cheers stedj :thumbs diving camping mooring ect;
Old 16 July 2005, 19:32   #4

Erk, what would you want to do in Strontian? Its NOT a nice place to stay at night, and are you going to boat the whole length up, or should i say, down the loch? you are going to use up quite a bit of fuel if you do
Oh, i should point out that Loch Sunart is protected, and there are a few tricky tricky bits to navigate through, i hope you have a map

sounds like good fun, i wish i had the money to afford all the fuel like that...

Anyway, Good luck, and let me know if you want some "local" info.
Old 16 July 2005, 21:34   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedj
we may be going there to strontain as well weres good cheers stedj :thumbs diving camping mooring ect;
There's a campsite part way down the loch on the lefthand side. they also have mooring buoys for campers' use. I can't quite bring the name to mind just now...could be Resipol. Mr-d might know. If you want wild camping, on the right, not too far down Loch Sunart, there is and inlet which forms a narrow bay. You'd likely have to tie off the boat to each side but it's a place I always meant to try but haven't yet. There are lots of other possibilities also. Take midge repellent or only your bones will be left in the morning.
Old 16 July 2005, 22:01   #6

on the right, not too far down Loch Sunart, there is and inlet which forms a narrow bay. You'd likely have to tie off the boat to each side but it's a place I always meant to try---------------------- do u mean rahoy by the old school house ive been there but only in a car from loch aline nice place i know wat u mean about the midges they eat u alive still no one tempted dont let a few midges put u off
Old 16 July 2005, 22:59   #7

Yes, the camping is called resipole, owned by the sinclair's and i wouldn't hold up hopes unless you book WELL in advance.... (at least so i have heard) also when getting all the way up here, you dont want to go to a gathering place where there are hords of campers, camper vans, caravans and worst of all, screaming little children. The camping area is next to the road, great when the Kilchoan-FortWilliam bus comes flying by at 9-15 ish in the morning.. and all the timber lorries going up and down the single track road to pick up wood at Salen. If you rent a static, that's more like it... right at the back of the "glen" isolated.

Yes there is a loch where jwalker described it would be, but indeed, midges are killers, and also a narrow entry with plenty of rocks to hit... (My family used to own rahoy... sadly times have changed ) You can camp anywhere you want.. but to come all the way up here, and travel the way you want to, to be horded together like sheep in one place... nah... Get your shopping done and then go and camp somewhere along the loch nice and peacefull...

Jungle formula works wonders against our favourite pets, the midges
Old 17 July 2005, 08:32   #8

camping on the loch sounds like it 4 us .Were do u get jungle formular? cheers stedj
Old 17 July 2005, 09:56   #9

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I think we're talking about different places. Mr-d are you speaking about Loch Teacuis? The place I was mentioning is just a cut, it's not a loch. Cross from Tobermory to Loch Sunart, mind the rocks as you go around the headland, follow the right side and you'll come across the inlet. It's big enough to get a few boats in but I'm not sure about the swinging radius. Loch Teacuis is further down and there are a couple of islands at it's entrance. The second and larger one is Carna but I can't remember the name of the first one. However, between the first one and the shore there is an anchorage. Now I'm really streching my memory but I've a feeling there is a bothy on the shore close to the anchorage. You'd better get a map & chart to check this out before committing yourself.

I take Mr-d's point about Resipole being busy in high season but at off peak times it's actually a good place to stay. It has the moorings I mentioned and a good slip, which is free if you are staying, and there are lots of nice places to explore without travelling long distances. The waters are fairly sheltered if it gets wild.

If you want remote, you could visit the Garvellachs. I've stayed at the bothy there and it was fine, (then).
Old 17 July 2005, 13:06   #10

Yes i was talking about Loch Teacuis, I have the map infront of me now and dont really see a cut in like you describe, unless its just a little bay, there are two of them one before you go round the corner at the sound of mull, and one right after it, then there is another sandy tidal bay, behind Oronsay (Midges paradise) but i think there is a fishfarm around the corner there, it might have moved, but i dont know how noisy it is/was.
Oronsay is a nice place to explore, good wild island with nobody living on it, nice and peacefull.. but The midges are killers! Well, they were last time i was there... I believe there are some flat bits on the island to pitch a tent up...

you should be able to get jungle formula (Get the lotion, NOT the spray) from any half decent pharmaceutical, the spray will just result in you suffocating from the stuff in the first place, and then being bitten anyway.. the lotion is more like it!

Oh, And I totally agree with Jwalker on resipole, its a lovely place, close to everything, and it has basic facilities, a little shop, laundry and the likes.
Fantastic place, but i'd just avoid it in the peak season for obvious reasons.

EDIT: Bleh, i noticed you also said diving.. i presume you are going to dive the wrecks of lochaline, and another tip from me, opposite glenborrodale, there are two tiny islands, somewhere behind one of them is a rock pinacle which comes about 5M under the water at low water, and goes all the way down to the bottom (Cant remember how deep it is, think its 50M or something.) It it meant to be very interesting to dive along it. Other thing that is meant to be interesting is going round the back of the islands, you might encounter some dogfish and skates, though they are pretty deep... Another thing i have noticed at the side of the loch are the amount of starfish... i think its one of these starfish from the far east that are invading, there are tons and tons of the buggers!
Anyway, if you are interested in the pinacle, i'll have to have a look at the map (if i can find it)
Old 17 July 2005, 16:57   #11

cheers mr-d that pinical sounds nice , yes iwill be diving the wrecks as i have for the last 4 years but always lookin for something new . ye ill be diving one day and cruising another, ill get a bucket of that lotion . were looking for something a bit remote minus canabalistic midges. tent or boffy. are there midges all over that island [is it the first one around the corner ] ps have u been to egg, coll or tyree . stedj
Old 17 July 2005, 21:27   #12

Depending on the weather conditions, slight breeze, warm, cold, raining etc. Also what side of the island you are on, are you between trees and the likes.
Just assume there will be, so you can be happy if they are not there

I've not been to Eigg yet.. I've been to Muck and Rum (Stayed on Rum for about 2 months in total.) Not been to Coll, or tyree.... Only been to Mull once..

Sorry for the semi fuzzy pic, parents behind pc with scanner, so i took a picture. Up is north etc. I cant remember which is the one, i thought it was the one BEHIND the island that goes from ~5M to 50M as a underwater cliff. The tidal currents might be a bit extreme there underwater, so time it for slack if you do. I believe there is a 10 knot current between risga and the mainland (at the top) and the water hammers around the southern side of risga to. Beneath you can see oronsay, and the bit that Jwalker described on the south side. You can go visit the wildlife centre thingy if you look straight north you will see "Jetty" That's where the wildlife thing is, its quite interesting.

Right, have fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunart.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	13410  
Old 18 July 2005, 11:48   #13

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
Been to them all just about.
Eigg is a nice place to visit but never really found any good diving around it.
Rhum/Rum is much the same.
Canna has some great walls round it to 80m + and a fantastic sheltered harbour with a tearoom.
Tiree is quite far for a small rib but the diving is very good, never landed though.
Coll has some shallow wrecks on the west side which are very pretty if a bit smashed and is a bit closer.
Muck has a wall or two but been while and I can't remember where they are or what they are like.
You should try Bo Fascadale and Elizabeth Rock, they are really worth doing.
Old 20 July 2005, 10:16   #14

did u go from oban or launch closer cheer stedj
Old 01 August 2005, 21:29   #15

Town: shrewsbury
Boat name: sweet chariot
Make: ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard honda 130hp
ribbing brittany

hello me and family off to brittany for 2 weeks near concarneau.anybody been around that area,need abit of local info slipways mooring,ect.a bit new at this tecno stuff
Old 17 August 2005, 21:30   #16

Im Back

Well Wat Can I Say Fantastic We Went To Tobamory, Oban, Coll, Tyree, Staffa [fingles Cave] Got Some Diving In .seen Porpoise ,seals, Eagles And Basking Sharks . Off Into The Forest On The Moto Bike [drz 400] Stoped At Fort William And Went Up Ben Nevis Nackerd Pics To Follow