Length: no boat
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercoastie
1st trip somewhere between 28th May - 5th July inclusive

2nd trip 9th 10 11th July confirmed.

Roy
The above dates still hold firm.
The July trip on 9/10 and 11th is lead by Andy Cox. Gingercoatie has asked for people to e-mail him directly if they want to go earlier at Whitsun time. Nothing has changed since you last posted.
Old 31 March 2005, 15:33   #82

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Hi,

Sorry I have been neglecting this thread but have been busy trying to sort out a home for the boat when it arrives (next week), and building a deck outside the house.

ANyway as Brian rightly said ther is no change to the first cruise dates.

But please check that you can get accomaodation for whichever cruise you choose as the scillies can get expensive quickly.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2005, 17:28   #83

Town: Falmouth, Kernow!
Boat name: PlayM8
Make: AVON
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 4stroke 45
Accomodation

Accomodation, hmmmmmmm

Whats the general plan, B&B/hotel?
Nobodie's camping are they! haha

Any good links please, so I can sort myself and crew out asap!?

Im only planning on taking 1 person with me as im sure it won't be a whole heap of fun sitting on the tubes for severals hours!

Whos gonna be departing from Falmouth and any ideas on average duration of trip over?

Bri
Old 06 April 2005, 17:49   #84

Here is a link for some accomodation. http://www.isles-of-scilly.co.uk/
Myself I will be sleepin on the boat.

I will be setting of from Falmouth, but have not looked too much into the passage planning yet. I might get a chart out after I have dome the washing, ironing and hoovering.

Skype - alexgreig
Old 06 April 2005, 18:02   #85
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
From Mylor it is about 70nm to Hugh Town moorings.
Call it 3 Hours?
Old 06 April 2005, 22:07   #86

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
As any body booked acomadation for the July trip if so where.
As i know my luck i will end up in a tee total lights at at 10 pm place.
Also do we know any ribs might take part and where are they launching from.
Roy
Old 07 April 2005, 10:29   #87
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Roy
You seem nervous. Dont be.
Andy will be leading. You book your accomodation now and just go. Look at it as though it is only you and Andy. You will have a wonderful time. If others turn up, fine. But dont let that be your motivation.
All the accommodation links have been given to you. I would NOT ADVISE leaving your booking as the Scilly islands get over full in the season.

Launch from Mylor then you will be with Andy the whole way.
Old 07 April 2005, 14:34   #88

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Brain
Thanks you are right.
Old 11 April 2005, 13:32   #89

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Scillies in July

I'm going on the July trip. Launching at Mylor some time on the Friday. Have not booked accommodation yet - it seems a bit scary expensive but I do have a tent and have been informed that there are proper showers on the camp site.

Had a chat with Andy Cox last week and it sounds like it should be a good trip.

Regards

Duncan
Old 06 June 2005, 19:04   #90

Town: Falmouth, Kernow!
Boat name: PlayM8
Make: AVON
Engine: Honda 4stroke 45
Sorry guys, I'm not gonna be able to participate in this cruise.

I've got to use the days off for a J24 keelboat event in Weymouth later in the month.
Old 06 June 2005, 21:03   #91

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I am still intending to participate in this (if i've still got a RIB) can others update so we can get an up-to-date list together?
Old 07 June 2005, 14:13   #92
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Roy
The above dates still hold firm.
The July trip on 9/10 and 11th is lead by Andy Cox. Gingercoatie has asked for people to e-mail him directly if they want to go earlier at Whitsun time. Nothing has changed since you last posted.

Daniel
The above are the dates.
Andy is still leading.
I will be there if I can. So thats.........Andy (maybe me), Roy, you and .....er...who else?
It WILL be a brilliant trip.
Old 08 June 2005, 23:07   #93

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
i would love to come but have a load of questions as ive never done anything like this before.

i only have a small 4.2m rib - which ive only just bought second hand... im not new to driving a rib but am new to owning one - and have never ventured out of the fal estury before.

accomodation wise - is there a really cheap option - like camping - i expect its all booked up by now though.

what about pitching the tent on a beach somewhere...

has anyone ever used the ramp down at sennen - is there parking down there - i dont think i can carry enough fuel to go from mylor (where i normally launch)...

i have 2 young kids (6 and 7) they love the boat but would this be too much for them - is it best to leave them at home.

how much fuel would i need to take - what kind of pace do you do.

sorry to storm in to your thread with tons of questions but ive neve been to the scillies and always wanted to go in my own boat...
Old 09 June 2005, 06:43   #94
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
i would love to come but have a load of questions as ive never done anything like this before.

i only have a small 4.2m rib - which ive only just bought second hand... im not new to driving a rib but am new to owning one - and have never ventured out of the fal estury before.

accomodation wise - is there a really cheap option - like camping - i expect its all booked up by now though.

what about pitching the tent on a beach somewhere...

has anyone ever used the ramp down at sennen - is there parking down there - i dont think i can carry enough fuel to go from mylor (where i normally launch)...

i have 2 young kids (6 and 7) they love the boat but would this be too much for them - is it best to leave them at home.

how much fuel would i need to take - what kind of pace do you do.

sorry to storm in to your thread with tons of questions but ive neve been to the scillies and always wanted to go in my own boat...
At this moment in time I would recommend a less adventurous outing.
You can camp, certainly on St. Mary's and St. Agnes. The website links given earlier specifies the details.
I cannot comment on Sennen.
I would not take the children at this stage.
With regards to fuel. You will need to make a calculation. What is your fuel consumption. How many miles do you get from 1 Ltr. How far will you travel. Add at least 25% to that, and thats how much you need.
Normally the fleet goes at the speed of the slowest boat, but a 4.2 is below the average small boat on this particular cruise. A 15 to 20 knot speed is typical.
As I said, I would choose something a little less....er.....adventurous for your first trip of this kind. I normally organise a S/W Coast Cruise for families, small boats, people of a nervous disposition etc. where we go parallel to the coast for 30/40 miles and dont venture off-shore. This may suit you better. I believe one is being organised at Fowey this year.
An alternative may be to jump on someone elses boat the first time, and then make your own judgement from that experience.
The seas off Lands End can be quite intimidating sometimes (as I have found out to my cost if you watch the video "RIB Cruising", which features the unfortunate me, in a 6.2m boat). So the trip is not to be undertaken lightly in a small boat.

I have looked again at your profile. You do not seem to have a radio yet. How about a plotter?
Now whereas cruising in company is a very safe thing to do and I highly recommend it, you should be prepared to look after yourself in the event of your getting separated from the group (bad weather, fog, mist). For this you would be wise to consult the BIBOA website at www.BIBOA.com and check out the Cruising section for essential off-shore kit (flares?, First Aid kit? etc).
Compass? Paper Charts? All this is very dificult, I know, to stow on a small boat.
But it's your life (and maybe your kiddies) that's at stake here.
Old 09 June 2005, 07:52   #95

Brian - thanks for the advice.

Yes i do have a radio - just havnt mounted the antenna yet - a friend of mine is obtaining the stainless steel for the a-frame so i can mount it. i have a silva s10 and a rib raider antenna.

ive bought a garmin 178 chart plotter / sounder - will be fitting that this weekend.

im waiting for my radio license and mmsi to come in the post and i have my src on 17th june at dreamseakers - by then ill have a-frame fitted and antenna mounted.

i carry spare spark plugs and tools - flares - fog horn - fuses - paddles - anchor - compass - first aid kit.

havnt got paper charts yet - im going to get those this weekend. (ive been told there is a chart shop near bosuns locker in falmouth)

i was going to go from mylor to fowey this weekend to get a good idea of fuel consumption and try out the new chartplotter/sounder - i did do about 50 nmiles in her a couple of weekends ago (truro to helford and zig-zagging everywhere in between) but it was my first time out so i was not really counting the miles or the fuel accurately (just kept filling a tank everytime i emptied it)

i have added a third tank to the boat now so i now carry 69liters.

i have been driving boats - towing skiiers for about 20 years (since i was 11) - they were just not my boats and never before had the opertunity to take them anywhere - now i have my own boat (all be it a small one) i want to go places.
Old 09 June 2005, 08:43   #96
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
I admire your pluck and very good luck to you.
If you think that you want to trythis trip why dont you e-mail Andy Cox, trip leader.
Not till Monday though, he is doing the Cornwall Show at the moment.
Old 09 June 2005, 08:48   #97

Thanks again - i do appreciate the advice - i will look into baby sitters for the kids - as your absolutely right - taking the kids - when i dont know what to expect my self would be irresponsible.

If i cant find any one to look after the kids for the whole weekend - how often do people do this trip - i might have to wait till the next one.
Old 09 June 2005, 08:54   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
havnt got paper charts yet - im going to get those this weekend. (ive been told there is a chart shop near bosuns locker in falmouth)
You are correct, there is an excellent chart shop called "Marine Instruments" next dooe to the Bosuns Locker.

Skype - alexgreig
Old 09 June 2005, 12:19   #99

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I'm coming!

Afternoon all,

Have spoken with Mylor yacht harbour - no problem with car and trailer parking (also said no need to book)
Booked a b&b in Mylor.
Looking at camping when we get there. £7.20 per night and they do have showers. Haven't booked yet - must do!

Duncan
Old 14 June 2005, 11:03   #100

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Big Blue
Make: Halmatic Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 140
Scilly's - 9,10,11 July.

Hi All......sorry I've been a bit on the quiet side but it's been pretty hectic here for a while.....but at long last here I am!!

Could all interested parties please e-mail me direct on:

andrew@andrewcoxmarine.co.uk

Please include such information as.....name of skipper, name and details of boat, names and numbers of crew, launch or departure points on the Saturday morning etc.etc.

What I will then do is put together a list of runners and riders and create a group mailing list. I will then suggest RV points and times, basically creating a rolling start from the east.

Weather permitting, this is going to be a great cruise and a lot of fun, BUT as Brian has already said, although we will all be travelling in company, it's important that each boat is correctly equipped and prepared to travel alone in the event of getting seperated due to fog or other adverse weather conditions.

Cheers all

Andy