Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow2gran View Post
I was going to see how things were in a few weeks

I'm assuming the lifeboat will be back on station. Still worth calling in if only for a pee stop for the laydees
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 16:37   #63

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
lifeboat is in the inner harbour, which is restricted access being a port. toilet stop isnt very practical as there is nowhere to tie up. your only option would be to beach the boats along newry beach and walk to the marina.
Old 20 March 2018, 19:36   #64

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
lifeboat is in the inner harbour, which is restricted access being a port. toilet stop isnt very practical as there is nowhere to tie up. your only option would be to beach the boats along newry beach and walk to the marina.

Be an arse end over the transom and all eyes forward
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 21:15   #65

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
Be an arse end over the transom and all eyes forward

Aye! That's served us well for 30 yrs
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 28 March 2018, 17:10   #66

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Tick tock, going to be tight on the re-tube but hoping to make it!! New GPS and ancillary re-furb Work have been done, tube material now cut ready! [emoji106]
Old 18 April 2018, 16:28   #67

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
*** skerries update ***

It is just under 4 week until the Skerries run and it is about time I gave an update on the plans for 11th, 12th and 13th May. The original plans have changed a little following the devastation caused by storm Emma to the marina in Holyhead. Unfortunately the marina no longer exists with many boats still submerged so clearly we will not be able to use the marina. There is a plan B however.

Jon Peers (Festinghouse) has close links with the Coxain of Holyhead lifeboat and has had some tentative discussions. The crew of the lifeboat normally practice on a Sunday but are thinking of bringing this forward to the Saturday and may join us at the Skerries which in itself would be quite an event.

Follow rounding the Skerries the plan is to head to Holyhead. The lifeboat is currently stationed within the inner harbour. Hopefully the Coxain will provide permission to enter the inner harbour and we will be able to raft up against the lifeboat. Those who would like, then have the opportunity to have a tour of the lifeboat which is a Severn Class and is the largest in the RNLI fleet.

If this plan doesn’t come off for whatever reason then there is opportunity to land the ribs on Newry Beach within Holyhead main harbour on a falling tide. Low Tide Holyhead is around 3.00pm.

The weekend plan therefore is as follows:

Friday 11th May - Evening - A talk has been arranged by the RSPB warden of the Skerries at 8.30pm at the Royal Welsh Yacht Club. The talk is open to all and should provide some interest on the birds that we can expect to see around the island. It has quite a colony of Puffins and is renowned for the Artic Terns that nest on the islands. The RYWC bar will be open. Anybody is welcome to the talk even if you are no taking part in the following days.

Saturday 12th May - Day – Launching at Ty Calch between 9.15am and 10.15am. On arrival at Ty Calch drop your rib & trailer off immediately on arrival at the car park. Chris and the gang will drop the trailers on the beach. Directions will be given to where to park your car. All the prep work (and faffing as Helen my wife calls it) can be done on the beach. Chris will then launch in turn.

The plan is to leave at 10.30am. Care needs to be taken going out over Caernarfon bar. We should get to the Skerries around 11.30am to 12.00pm. We will spend a little time here before heading into Holyhead.

My intention is to leave Holyhead around 2.00pm for arrival back at Ty Calch for 4.00pm. On the return we will explore some of the caves, bays, sights and beaches and could also stop off at Pilots Cove before passing back over Caernarfon Bar. This obviously all depends on the weather which could well dictate changes to the suggested plan.

Saturday 12th May – Evening – There are 30+ places for a banquet B meal at Fu’s Cantonese in Caernarfon. The round tables have been reserved for those who know Fu’s to make it a sociable evening. Please book direct with Richard at Fus to reserve your seat. A small discount has been agreed against the regular banquet B price. The phone number for Fu’s is 01286 669410. Please tell them that you are taking part in the Rib Rally. The plan is to get there for 7.30pm and eat at 8.00pm. After the meal (if you are not too tired) we can head to the bar in the Black Boy which is a short walk away.

Sunday 13th May - This will be a bit shorter day for me. The plan is to be on the water for between 10.30am and 11.00pm. We will then head for Puffin Island. (Possibly onto Moelfre again weather & time dependent). On the return between 12.30pm and 1.00pm we will call in at the Gazelle for a pint before heading back for recovery at Ty Calch around 3.00pm. Many of us have passed through the Swellies at all states of tide. However for those less familiar with the Swellies let me know. There will be someone including myself who will help to guide you through.

Well that is the plan and as I have already said it is weather dependent. It may be that the days are switched around. It could also be that the weather is just not good enough to get to the Skerries and the trip has to be done another time.

For those of you that feel the Skerries is too far then the run can be shortened by heading from North Stack directly into Holyhead harbour. There are also other options of shortening it still further by just taking in part of the west coast of Anglesey. The full run to the Skerries, into Holyhead and returning to Ty Calch I estimate to be around 80nm.

There are a number of additional items I would like to mention. Firstly the talk by the RSPB and the tour of the RNLI lifeboat are from organisations who would welcome our donations. I personally will donate £100 to each having saved to my CAF charity account over the last year. The RSPB does a great job conserving the nature around this special part of the world and the RNLI are there for when one of is in trouble. Any contribution would be most appreciated and there will be collection boxes available on the days.

In order that we know the numbers I would be grateful if you could check your details and fill in the form on the following link. All being well the spreadsheet can be seen and edited by anybody with the link.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Finally I don’t want to be a kill joy and I don’t like formalities. The weekend is for fun and a meeting of like-minded people. Never the less please remember it is a rib rally where you have total and full responsibility for your own safety, the safety of your crew and your rib. It really goes without saying please respect, the wildlife, fellow rib knobbers and everyone who is helping to make this a memorable weekend.

Any questions then pop them on a post. Have a great time!

Nick
Old 18 April 2018, 22:07   #68

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Hi Nick, sorry we can't join you on the Saturday for the run uptown The Skerries and Holyhead, but if we're back in time we'll join you at Fu's, can't be missing a Banquet B!! all being well we'll be out on the Sunday, looking forward to the guided trip through The Swirlies cheers, Chris
Old 19 April 2018, 14:53   #69

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Chris Banquet B was specifically ordered for you. Know how much you like it! I am still learning about the Swirlies and have not surveyed it like you and Jeff. I need someone to show me the route just to right of island. Seen it done by someone in a Revenger but don’t know how it was done[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]
Old 19 April 2018, 16:16   #70

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
Just check logistics before final commitment - I guess its best to book a hotel in Caernarfon?
Thanks
Old 19 April 2018, 17:34   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow2gran View Post
Chris Banquet B was specifically ordered for you. Know how much you like it! I am still learning about the Swirlies and have not surveyed it like you and Jeff. I need someone to show me the route just to right of island. Seen it done by someone in a Revenger but don’t know how it was done[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]
the route between Gored Goch & Cribbin Rock is easy Nick, in the words of Colin McRae "if in doubt take it flat out" theres less boat in the water then to catch on them lumpy bits

can't beat a copy of this chart for exploring The Swirlies

http://www.caernarfonharbour.org.uk/...s/swellies.pdf
Old 19 April 2018, 17:37   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
Just check logistics before final commitment - I guess its best to book a hotel in Caernarfon?
Thanks
if you're planning on launching at Ty Calch then yes, Caernarfon is your best bet, there's a Premier Inn and a Travel Lodge next to Victoria Dock, or The Celtic Royal is just around the corner
Old 26 April 2018, 19:27   #73

Boat name: Time out
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Suzuki DF 200
We are coming on the cruise but
I've got a couple of questions to ask as we haven't been to the area before.

We are planning on arriving on Friday and returning home on the Monday, can we take the boat to Ty Calch on the Friday to store over night and on the Sunday leave it there and collect on Monday morning ? Do I have too book the boat in with Chris ?

Is there fuel rederly available? I will turn up with full tanks but if we are lucky enough with the weather and get out both days I will need some for the second day.

Sorry for all the questions.

Many thanks

Martyn
Old 26 April 2018, 19:42   #74

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
If anybody still requires accommodation my neighbour has a three bedroom cottage available for this weekend, £120 fri-sun or £150 fri-Monday, I know because I asked for others on this trip who are now sorted on same site [emoji1474]
Old 26 April 2018, 19:52   #75

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by map011 View Post
We are coming on the cruise but
I've got a couple of questions to ask as we haven't been to the area before.

We are planning on arriving on Friday and returning home on the Monday, can we take the boat to Ty Calch on the Friday to store over night and on the Sunday leave it there and collect on Monday morning ? Do I have too book the boat in with Chris ?

Is there fuel rederly available? I will turn up with full tanks but if we are lucky enough with the weather and get out both days I will need some for the second day.

Sorry for all the questions.

Many thanks

Martyn

Speak to Chris re.boat storage, he'll do what he can.
No easy fuel, there's a Morrisons in town where you might be able to fill cans, never done it so can't confirm. It might be a case of nipping down on the Saturday evening after Chris pulls you out.
Old 26 April 2018, 20:04   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Speak to Chris re.boat storage, he'll do what he can.
No easy fuel, there's a Morrisons in town where you might be able to fill cans, never done it so can't confirm. It might be a case of nipping down on the Saturday evening after Chris pulls you out.
Ok thanks.
That shouldn't be a problem probably easier than filling with cans.
Old 26 April 2018, 20:52   #77

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
Map001 - good questions, I would have been wondering the same in a week or so!
Old 26 April 2018, 21:01   #78

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
Map001 - good questions, I would have been wondering the same in a week or so!

If it was me, I'd be taking some full Jerry cans with me & stashing them in the car.
Old 26 April 2018, 22:10   #79

give Chris a call re boat storage, he'll sort you out there's a Texaco just past the Tescos, easier to fill jerry cans but you can fit your rib in there too if you need to
Old 27 April 2018, 05:21   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
give Chris a call re boat storage, he'll sort you out there's a Texaco just past the Tescos, easier to fill jerry cans but you can fit your rib in there too if you need to
Ok thanks.
Have you got a phone number for Chris at Ty Calch?