Old 26 December 2014, 23:00   #21

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
let s see, even tourist guide are saying bring you spray suit and boots ahahahahah wanna have the same musto dry suit you had. and i checked those marinas and it doesn t look that funny niether crowded niether easy to access ....potoons etc ....
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 23:02   #22

RIBase
we ll have to check if we re off the canal for several days to make sure we don t have to pay it again, was bit expensive ....to pay it twice !
Old 27 December 2014, 08:52   #23

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Apparently both routes are Round Britain, so I'm told

I say RB via the Caledonian Canal, just to be on the safe side.
RB Via the Caledonian Canal was the powerboat wimps route. The real RB is all the way round.
Old 27 December 2014, 09:03   #24

I took part in the first Round Scotland in 1990 in a 5m Narwell with twin 40s
GPS was not available and everyone had to have a reasonable skill for real navigation. Wet weather gear was a plastic mac. 100 miles a day in 1990 was a true adventure where as now most boats could go around Scotland with one or two fuel stops. The Canal work was something that you do once in a life time then forget it. But, if you want to go round for the first time then it has to be done
Because of the long daylight hours there is always a good chance of getting round in between weather windows and it pays to drink with the locals for advice as most go out every day to earn a living on the water. A few of us have considered re running the original event as a 25 year anniversary but in the end we couldn't be bothered. The "Old Guys " are all still out there. Alan P
Old 27 December 2014, 09:15   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
got it, 5 days this is not that much !
and a long road from belgium
IMHO whilst there is certainly some potentially challenging ribbing in fairly exposed locations, you'll be rushing through some of the most spectacular boating in the UK (Europe? World?) in order just to "get round". There will be a feeling of achievement having done the circumnavigation but I think you might feel you've missed out the opportunity to explore more on the spectacular West coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
we ll have to check if we re off the canal for several days to make sure we don t have to pay it again, was bit expensive ....to pay it twice !
The standard canal license is valid for 7 nights.

The canal is nice - but you've done it, its slow and moderately expensive I'd consider jumping on the bus at Inverness and retrieving the trailer by road?
Old 27 December 2014, 09:35   #26

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
IMHO whilst there is certainly some potentially challenging ribbing in fairly exposed locations, you'll be rushing through some of the most spectacular boating in the UK (Europe? World?) in order just to "get round". There will be a feeling of achievement having done the circumnavigation but I think you might feel you've missed out the opportunity to explore more on the spectacular West coast.
you WILL have missed everything
Old 27 December 2014, 09:48   #27

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
[QUOTE=Poly;660757]IMHO whilst there is certainly some potentially challenging ribbing in fairly exposed locations, you'll be rushing through some of the most spectacular boating in the UK (Europe? World?) in order just to "get round". There will be a feeling of achievement having done the circumnavigation but I think you might feel you've missed out the opportunity to explore more on the spectacular West coast.

I agree with that totally.
Indeed thats the main reason (with the limited time constraints we all have)the "Round about" stuff has never really appealed ...far better IMO to pick the area,time,locations,and not least the company
Yourself!....and take what time you need to explore,and appreciate the truly amazing places the area has to offer...Rather than being in a dash regardless...to make miles and keep up with the itinerary.
I hear there are some hefty fee's for some of these "organised" events too...is that right?
For those who enjoy it,Great!...and power to you....(and I'll never say never)..but I'm yet to be convinced.

Going back to the OP it may be of interest to have a look at the Round Britain-via Cape Wrath
Videos and Blog by the "Contentment" crew a couple of years ago.Packed with info and hints...both Boats being Petrol Powered indicates it is totally doable.....without massive diesel range....even the long way round.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2014, 10:49   #28

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
[QUOTE=Maximus;660762]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

I agree with that totally.
Indeed thats the main reason (with the limited time constraints we all have)the "Round about" stuff has never really appealed ...far better IMO to pick the area,time,locations,and not least the company
Yourself!....and take what time you need to explore,and appreciate the truly amazing places the area has to offer...Rather than being in a dash regardless...to make miles and keep up with the itinerary.
I hear there are some hefty fee's for some of these "organised" events too...is that right?
For those who enjoy it,Great!...and power to you....(and I'll never say never)..but I'm yet to be convinced.

Going back to the OP it may be of interest to have a look at the Round Britain-via Cape Wrath
Videos and Blog by the "Contentment" crew a couple of years ago.Packed with info and hints...both Boats being Petrol Powered indicates it is totally doable.....without massive diesel range....even the long way round.
I'm with Maximus on this one. Personally (& each to their own) I have never seen the point of the "Round xxxxxxx racesEvents" especially when it's somewhere like Scotland/Ireland. It's like necking a good beer/ wine/whisky. Some of the finest cruising, eating, drinking is to be had on the West Coast of Scotland & it needs to be savoured
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2014, 13:25   #29

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
LOL i used to own that SR4
What - this one that is putting manners on you know who

Click image for larger version

Name:	S8303366.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	101825
Old 27 December 2014, 14:05   #30

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Yeah that's the one
Old 27 December 2014, 14:13   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougcrock View Post
you WILL have missed everything
They don't make them like they used too
Old 27 December 2014, 14:55   #32

Quote:
Yeah that's the one
Whaoooooooo - that was an amazing RIB - helmed by an even more amazing guy called Richard

Apart from the need to re-bond the sponson onto the bow in Lochinver - the whole rig performed superbly for the whole 500 mile trip

This is a pic you don't see to often with the boat out of the water over night to dry out before repair - try doing that to a larger RIB

Click image for larger version

Name:	S8303461.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	101826
Old 27 December 2014, 16:39   #33

Town: Poole
Gilles - hope that you are well.

Post 14 onwards of this thread deals with the RB10 trip round the top of scotland

http://vv

Give me a shout if you have any specific questions

Regards, Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2014, 20:25   #34

Length: 3m +
Could do the Forth & Clyde...

Or I'd be tempted to head down the west and back up the other side of the islands on the west before going round the top. If the top is really the bit you wanna do.

No matter what petrol on slip will be a pain in the t@tz
Old 30 December 2014, 17:44   #35

RIBase
ok thank you all for your advises and experiences.
keep in mind that as i m still working and need to handle familly holidays and rib trips i like those Round of ...challenges not races. you can have an overview and have to idea to come back in a specifiq region.
again thanks all !!!
Old 30 December 2014, 18:12   #36

RIBase
yes it's true that some event got entry fees. this is what i did for the round of ireland on 2013 and it was not that cheap BUT thanks to the organisation of HMS i met a lot of new friends shared a great experienced and met them again for our own RB14 organisation without entry fees.
Old 31 December 2014, 13:01   #37

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Hi Gilles ,
Hope you are doing well !
Are you planning next year to go on your own to Scotland ??
I hope that we are able to do organize like last summer a few RIBs and to cruise together .
I really enjoyed being together with all guys / teams and for me this team spirit is an important part of such trip .
Hope to see you next year and to everybody a HAPPY NEW YEAR !
Old 31 December 2014, 18:50   #38

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Round Scotland

Happy new year to gilles and Jurgen from ramsgage too !!

I understand last years RB trip was organised through Facebook. Were you both involved in the Facebook group? I'm not a Facebook user unfortunately.

For sure if there is a similar trip for Scotland 2015 I hope to come. I have already organised a boat and a crew !!
Old 31 December 2014, 19:22   #39

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
Sent an email sent out to the RB lot
Old 31 December 2014, 20:22   #40

Hi Gilles

Getting back to your original post – the passage from Cape Wrath to John O’Groats is, to me, one of the last great real life, wild and at times scary RIB passages.

Given your experience a detailed look at the charts along with relevant pilotage guidelines will clearly give you an appreciation of the challenges and risks involved. As said earlier your two main stops will be Lochinver and Scabster.

Lochinver is an ideal overnight stop – very picturesque - it has sheltered pontoons – petrol in the village and a whole range of accommodation. As far as I remembered we staid in Polcraig Guesthouse and the owner looked after us extremely well and even had a drying room which was mega.

Scabster on the other hand is a working port but I believe it should have pontoons by now – maybe someone will clarify that. Accommodation and petrol was, for us, in Thurso which is some 3 km away and up a big hill - a real PITA - but then you have no choice.

However as you know the biggest element of any journey of this magnitude is in the preparation before hand - difficulties with petrol et al only add to the “adventure” element.

Apart from all the typical considerations for a trip like this the most important one to me is the weather forecast. Once you approach Cape Wrath and realise how exposed it is/you are - you will know exactly what I mean. My thanks will always go to the Watch Officer in Belfast Coastguard who took the time to talk me through the synoptic charts @ 0700 on the morning of our passage – our forecast was in stark contrast to what we were being told by “others”. We were fortunate that our passage was going to coincide with a window of opportunity as we would be in the middle of two low systems and whilst the sea conditions were very fresh at time - they were not dangerous

The Pentland Firth is of course world famous - it fills and drains the North sea twice a day - up to three million tons of water per second and currents up to 16 kn water, but treat it with respect and you will be rewarded. Certainly a trip out to Scapa Flow is highly recommended.

As Paul said – any specific questions just let us know

Happy New Year