Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Upcoming RIB cruises
Click Here to Login

Old 03 March 2013, 18:48   #221

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Flyer View Post
Infact he walked across us at least 4 times!! This could get costly!!
It sure will
Old 14 March 2013, 18:24   #222

Just had an email from Macmillan

Hi Ribnet.

Thank you for your recent donation to Macmillan Cancer Support. Your support really will help to improve the lives of people affected by cancer.

How your donations help
There are over 2 million people living with cancer in the UK, but we are currently only able to reach three quarters of them. It's our ambition to reach everyone living with cancer and we can only do this with the help of people like you. In fact, we rely on voluntary donations for 96% of our income, so we really do appreciate your support.

Gifts like yours mean that we will be able to provide not only medical, but practical, emotional and financial support as well as information to people living with cancer, their carers and families. And we'll also make sure that we listen to people with experience of cancer and work together with them to improve cancer care.

You can find out more about the impact our supporters have on the lives of people living with cancer by visiting our website Cancer care and support charity - Macmillan Cancer Support. There you'll discover the many ways in which we use donations to provide essential support and information.

We're here
Your views are important to us. So whether you want to comment on campaigns, would like to know more about our fundraising events or even access to our services, please do get in touch.

Thank you for your support.

With best wishes,

Lynda Thomas
Director of Fundraising
Macmillan Cancer Support

PS: Are you a UK tax payer? If so, you can boost the value of your donations by 25% by simply completing and returning a Gift Aid declaration. Find out more about Gift Aid.
Old 15 March 2013, 11:44   #223

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Morning you lot, haven't posted but have been following this for obvious reasons, I've talked to my mate at Foulkes and son on the hamble, he's happy for you to use his slip and pontoons if you want to launch there, I have plenty of space at my place for all the trailers and car, there may be a charge on Anthony side for use of his boatyard but he has said he will add it to the charity, this is something dear to his heart as well as he lost his dad, brother and cousin all in a couple of year to it, as long as we are sensible with parking and launching the offer is there, the slip is almost useable in all states of tide except real low ones and as long as we raft up we won't cause too many problems to his regular customers, my place is under a mile from the boatyard so you can park in mine and walk back to your boat, it's about half hour up the river but its a nice run past all the boatyards, , I hope to do this run myself, but if I don't the offer is still there regardless
Old 15 March 2013, 12:02   #224

Nice one Biff

I can also help with launching and parking at Calshot but there will more than likely be a charge but I will talk to them
Old 15 March 2013, 13:40   #225

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
I can also confirm that the Harbor master at warsash will cut you guys some slack, you can put your boats on there pontoon while you sort your car and trailer out in the car park, there is only a limited number of trailer parking spaces in the car park, I've been ask to ask you not to take the piss and leave your boats on there for too long, I can also get you a cheap rate for overnight on the visitors berth , go and see the harbour master and say, biff sent you, it will only work for that weekend, don't go mad down there as it will my nuts in the sling
Old 15 March 2013, 14:11   #226
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
I've added a section to the summary document (http://bit.ly/XKWPro) called 'accommodation and launching' with a link to Biff's launching options.

Good to see a list of 30 boats at the moment that may be out on the day for such a good cause.
Old 16 March 2013, 21:10   #227

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I'd really appreciate some advice on accomodation possibilites.

We'll need to trail down Saturday, and were planning to launch at Lymington but as it's a bank holiday weekend what B&B is available is demanding at least 2 if not 3 nights stay - have spent hours looking for somwhere locally and have had the same answer everywhere!. With 4 of us that will be expensive (plus the fact we are staying away at a wedding Fri night!). We don't want the needless expense of paying for 2 nights accomodation and food when we only need 1.

With 2 adults, 2 children we need either a family room that sleeps 4 or 2 rooms.

Might have to rethink Lymington, as launch point but may well find the same problem in the Hamble / Portsmouth area.

Thanks in advance for any tips / leads
Old 16 March 2013, 21:34   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post

We'll need to trail down Saturday, and were planning to launch at Lymington but as it's a bank holiday weekend what B&B is available is demanding at least 2 if not 3 nights stay - have spent hours looking for somwhere locally and have had the same answer everywhere!. With 4 of us that will be expensive (plus the fact we are staying away at a wedding Fri night!). We don't want the needless expense of paying for 2 nights accomodation and food when we only need 1.

With 2 adults, 2 children we need either a family room that sleeps 4 or 2 rooms.

Might have to rethink Lymington, as launch point but may well find the same problem in the Hamble / Portsmouth area.

You could launch at Calshot, leave the car there and stay in Cowes in a B&B (download the cowes app for more info) moorings are available but they do get busy.

I will sort out free camping for a few tents on the island but you will have to pay about £10 for moorings.

Most camping around the mainland area will be a 3 day minimum booking too.

Why not turn it into a holiday, Biffer has a house that he rents out on the island and it's very reasonably priced too considering it's like new
Old 16 March 2013, 21:48   #229

Tempting as it sounds I have to be back at work on the Tues!
Camping isn't a viable option - don't have the kit for a family & it's a lot of hassle for just 1 night.
Will keep thinking.
Old 16 March 2013, 21:51   #230

Quote:
Tempting as it sounds I have to be back at work on the Tues!
Camping isn't a viable option - don't have the kit for a family & it's a lot of hassle for just 1 night.
Will keep thinking.
Try here (never been there) and launch with us up the road

Falcon Inn, Fawley near Southampton, food and real ale pub in Hampshire
Old 16 March 2013, 21:52   #231

Matt H and others also use one in Hythe
Old 16 March 2013, 23:39   #232

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:

I can recommend this place in Portsmouth: Home Parents stayed there a couple of years ago when I lived nearby. It's about 30 seconds walk from the Camber dock where there is a fantastic slipway (£2 per launch), loads of parking for the car, free dedicated boat trailer park, cafe with loos, plus it's only about 10 mins off the motorway so no faffing around driving across the New Forest! It's run by one of the committee members of Portmouth Sailing club so any boat related questions I'm sure he'll be able to help.

Failing that, there's a Travel lodge just at the bottom of the M275 as you come into Portsmouth. About ten mins from the slip above. If you got down there in reasonable time on Saturday afternoon you could launch then and either keep your boat in Gunwharf marina which is opposite, or talk to "Dry run" on here who runs the boat yard next to the slip which has pontoons. Leave the trailer in the trailer park overnight, then you have a nice leisurely start on Sunday.
Old 17 March 2013, 07:41   #233
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Alverstoke hotel http://www.alverbankhotel.co.uk/
at lee on Solent then launch from alongside haslar. Marina in harbour is ok
Compass point b&b in Hamble village with slip 50yards away on river Hamble compass point is lovely have a look at their website run by mike who use to run a rib with us
http://www.compasspointhamble.co.uk/
maybe launch at Hamble Point Marina and store boat and trailer there- (pricey launch on slip which is a good one)

Also Farthings B&B

School Lane, Hamble SO31 4JD, England very close to marina slip and all these are close to Solent 6-8 mins from launch http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...e_England.html

Like all these the security of boat needs sorting, I would if you went for Hamble locations, go to Hamble Point marina for launch on the slip way $25-30 I think but I may be able to arrange for you to have access to trailer park for this cause, let me know and I will ask
Old 17 March 2013, 08:39   #234

Town: Orpington and Lymington
Boat name: Charrnah
Make: 6.5m Ribeye
Engine: Yam 150
Quote:

There is a premier inn at high cliff which is like a 10 min drive to Lymington there is also another a bit further down the road in Christchurch. There's also the new forest hotel group not sure what their prices are but they have a few hotels dotted around the new Forrest! There's also a hotel on Lymington high street ( it's a posh one- think its expensive tho)

B and B wise have you tried b and b's in Barton on sea, Milford on sea and new Milton all are 5 mins drive to Lymington ( you might have the same problem I don't know)

Can't really comment on other areas!

Hope this helps you out!
Old 23 March 2013, 13:12   #235

Thanks for the various advice on accomodation - now revised plan launching at Warsash with 1 night's acccomodation sorted at Premier Inn Fareham. £77 for family room 1 night only

Would have liked to experienced Lymington, but with all the local B&Bs charging for a min 2 or 3 night stay over the BH weekend on £/person rates it was too pricey.

Really helpful advice from the Harbour Office at Warsash too.
Old 23 March 2013, 20:29   #236

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I am now down in The Solent that weekend but do not currently have a rib I am a commercial skipper (advanced PB commercially endorsed and do regular work for C2 Ribs, Onboard Charters, and Saber Powersports. All of those companies will vouch for me) and would love to donate £100. So, can we find 20 ribs that will let me helm a section of the route on the same basis as Peter Matcham, £5 per boat helmed. I promise to take care of your rib and you will be alongside me ensuring I do. I guess it's around 3NM in each rib. I will be helming "Onboard Rascal" on Easter Sunday, and will probably be helming C2 Ribs new Gemini before then, so that's £10 already. Just need another 18 ribs.

So who's up for raising another £90 from me, let me know.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
Idea.....as the number of boats is due to be lots...and lots....how about I give 5 pound per boat I get to drive?....that could add a reasonable/big amount?....

I promise not to break anything...hopefully I know what I'm doing?....
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 21:12   #237

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
You can have a blast with mine, that's now 17 needed!
Old 23 March 2013, 21:17   #238

Make: Joker Booat
Engine: Yam 70
Go on then Chris, add me to your list, you now need 16
Old 23 March 2013, 21:35   #239

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Thank Lee and landlord, £20 in the pot so far, 16 boats and £80 to go. Oh, I would really like to end up at whatever slipway I start from if possible
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 21:59   #240
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
I am now down in The Solent that weekend but do not currently have a rib I am a commercial skipper (advanced PB commercially endorsed and do regular work for C2 Ribs, Onboard Charters, and Saber Powersports. All of those companies will vouch for me) and would love to donate £100. So, can we find 20 ribs that will let me helm a section of the route on the same basis as Peter Matcham, £5 per boat helmed. I promise to take care of your rib and you will be alongside me ensuring I do. I guess it's around 3NM in each rib. I will be helming "Onboard Rascal" on Easter Sunday, and will probably be helming C2 Ribs new Gemini before then, so that's £10 already. Just need another 18 ribs.

So who's up for raising another £90 from me, let me know.

Chris
What? youre betting on me letting you helm!!

I have an open door on that day and if Gemineye is free I will offer additional seats for the run.