Old 01 January 2012, 21:39   #21

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Sweet Chilli
Make: Ribcraft 585/Wetline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 90HP Yam 4HP
MMSI: 235084532
I haven't done this before so I would be well up for it.

Let me know closer to the time I may launch with you at Southampton.
Old 01 January 2012, 22:15   #22

Town: iow
Boat name: kaykan
Make: tornado 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 115 HO
MMSI: 235091895
I would be happy to join in too
Old 01 January 2012, 22:35   #23

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
No worries, you are very welcome

We will be having a chat about this at the Nacho Run Cruise on the 8th January if you are around for that?

http://www.rib.net/forum/f18/4th-ann...2-a-45280.html
Old 01 January 2012, 22:38   #24

Town: iow
Boat name: kaykan
Make: tornado 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 115 HO
MMSI: 235091895
will know in the next few days if we can make that
Old 03 January 2012, 19:17   #25

Town: fareham
Boat name: shalwi
Make: ribeye 600
Engine: 115 yamaha
Send a message via AIM to andy jeffrey
WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED TO JOIN U , FIRST TIME 4 ME , WILL KEEP AN EYE OPEN 4 UPDATES , WOULD BE LEAVING FROM PORTSMOUTH WOT WOULD BE GOOD RV ???
Old 03 January 2012, 19:22   #26

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy jeffrey View Post
WOULD BE LEAVING FROM PORTSMOUTH WOT WOULD BE GOOD RV ???
Depends which way round the trip ends up being. If clockwise, an RV by the forts for any Pompey folks would probably work (or time dependant possibly inside Portsmouth harbour where the Lightship is/was). If anti-clockwise, an RV with the Southampton lot at Calshot spit or off Cowes would work, to then meet any Lymington lot on the way round.
Old 03 January 2012, 20:54   #27

Town: Lyndhurst
Boat name: Airborne
Make: SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
How many litres would I need with a 40hp yamaha? i can currently carry 35.
Old 03 January 2012, 21:26   #28

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
My Yamaha 50 did a little over a litre per mile, only you can see how much you use through experience, how you drive and trim will make a huge difference.
Old 03 January 2012, 21:48   #29

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan k View Post
Do I remember that you said that you had done an Intermediate powerboat course as this should have been one of the key areas covered under Passage planning.

You need to calculate the fuel burn for your rig with the loading you expect on the day - then get the charts out and work out your projected total distance to travel and then using your realistic fuel burn figure and the passage distance - calculate the amount of fuel required and then add at least 1/3 more in case of rough weather or the unexpected.

Running out of fuel is the most common cause of call-outs to leisure boat
Old 03 January 2012, 22:47   #30

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
What he says is, of course, quite correct and I was only 500m short of Yarmouth .... It could have been 500M for all the difference.

Fill up before you leave Lymington on the Nacho Run and either fill up in Yarmouth (cheaper) or in Lymington on your return (more expensive but better average) to find out Mpl (nautical miles per litre) for the boat.

If you do the R the I, I'll bring my 30l and jiggle tube (and I might put some fuel in the 30l as well! )
Old 03 January 2012, 22:49   #31

.... and before anyone says it and we end up in the bilges again: I know that at my age I need fuel in my jiggle tube as well!
Old 03 January 2012, 23:16   #32

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
what they all said... you must be looking at about 60 ish nm, so would want to have at least 80litres available. However, that's based on 1l/nm. Like Avocet said, you need to know how much you used. I'd say you need someone along with you all the way on the Nacho run to be able to tell you the distance travelled since you don't currently have a gps. Fill up at a roadside petrol station before and after (a luxury Avocet does not have). Don't forget, the rougher the sea, the more fuel you'll use.
Old 04 January 2012, 12:17   #33

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I would recon on .70lt per mile on past experience on a fairly flat day!
If my memory serves me well!!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2012, 14:09   #34
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
Do I remember that you said that you had done an Intermediate powerboat course as this should have been one of the key areas covered under Passage planning.

You need to calculate the fuel burn for your rig with the loading you expect on the day - then get the charts out and work out your projected total distance to travel and then using your realistic fuel burn figure and the passage distance - calculate the amount of fuel required and then add at least 1/3 more in case of rough weather or the unexpected.

It was covered on my PB2. Not sure if that is standard or not - but its a remarkably common question on Ribnet, and one that worries me a little. if your passage planning isn't up to working that out, you know so little about your boat, or you need to cut it so fine that it might really matter then perhaps a trip of this scale is not appropriate yet. I appreciate everyone has to learn, and we were all beginners at some point but there is enough background information around for those who bother to look (RYA "logbooks", "textbooks" and this forum would all give a good starting point).

However, I will once again reiterate some common "rules of thumb":

- An "old tech" 2 stroke engine will burn approximately 1 US Gal (3.8L) for every 10 HP of engine size when running at full throttle.
- A modern direct injection 2 stroke or 4 stroke might run 20-25% more efficiently (say 3L for every 10HP).

So your 40HP engine is going to need between 12-15L for every hour you run it at full throttle. Your 35 L tank will give you an endurance of less than 3 hours.

I'd GUESS (i.e. don't rely on this number) that your rib will run at low 30's knots at full throttle on a nice day. So you could be getting a range of 70 miles ish... ...heavier laden in choppy weather you might only manage 20 knots and find your range is slashed to less than 50 miles.

Most ribs report cruising (i.e. not full throttle) at 1 L/NM (+/- 20% depending on boat size, engine, load, weather and how throttle happy the skipper is!). Your 35L tank will give you a range of 28-42 NM depending on the various factors... ...now because your boat and engine are small you will probably even get better than this - but its best you convince yourself of this from real data rather than supposition. I can do ~0.5 L/NM in mine on a flat calm day sitting at about 80% of maximum speed. I can burn double that and get half the speed in horrible weather when a lot of the time is spent going "up hill".

If you search the forums you will find other people reporting how much fuel an engine uses at different throttle / speed settings.

If I was taking your boat on a 60 NM trip, I would want 60L of fuel readily accessible (i.e. in proper tanks that just need a quick connection change). I would then also be taking spare fuel with me. If at "lunchtime" (or any other convenient sheltered stop) it looked like I might need the extra fuel I would top up the tanks, rather than find myself in the middle of a shipping lane or choppy sea trying to transfer fuel from cans.

If you are doing a "there and back" trip then the general suggestion is you use no more than 1/3rd of your fuel for the "outbound" leg, which leaves you a third for the return and a third spare. For a circular trip I would want at least 30% more fuel than I planned to use. I.e. I'd have about 20L spare on board for that trip. If you do start to use it then either keep the last 5L (one standard fuel can) back or if your tank has a reserve built in (many portables do, which you then have to tilt to access) then have a plan for what to do with only 5L left. It is probably get to shore as quickly as possible (that should give you about 5 NM to find a safe haven - if you are 5 or 6 miles from "home" - don't aim for home, sods law you will run out 1/2 mile short). Obviously if you are cruising in company it may simply be to get to a safe place to transfer fuel from one of the better prepared skippers, promising to repay in equal quantities of fuel and beer!
Old 08 January 2012, 21:39   #35

Town: Lyndhurst
Boat name: Airborne
Make: SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
Thanks for all the advice, i will be doing a lot of long range cursing anyway so I’m going to invest in an 12lt tank for inside the console and a 30lt strapped down somewhere. Not sure if it would be best to fit at the back or the font? That would give me 67lt, combine that with jerry cans I’m looking at around 77-87 litres if needed.
I did cover passage planning etc in my intermediate ribochet but at the time i had no idea of fuel usage as i had yet to fully test my boat.
Old 08 January 2012, 22:48   #36

Quote:
I will be doing a lot of long range cursing anyway.
That's a given (although frowned upon on the VHF - or even LW!)

[/QUOTE] I did cover passage planning etc in my intermediate ribochet but at the time i had no idea of fuel usage as i had yet to fully test my boat [/QUOTE]

Not sure what a 'ribochet' is but hope you tested the usage today: with all the zapping around that we saw you doing, your average cruising speed will be lower than what you recorded

Good to see you again
Old 08 January 2012, 22:53   #37

Longjohn,

Like Oscarguitar, we are sorry about the brief 'Goodbye'. Entry back to the marina was touch and go, so every second counted! Half Cut churned some mud but no damage sustained by either boat.

Good to meet you and hope to see you again.

David and Ginny
Old 09 January 2012, 13:31   #38

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Elshin
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 250 hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235083034
Just seen this thread. I'd be interested in taking our RIB in company around the IOW.
Old 10 January 2012, 16:28   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan W View Post
Just seen this thread. I'd be interested in taking our RIB in company around the IOW.
You are more than welcome
Old 10 January 2012, 16:34   #40

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, i will be doing a lot of long range cursing anyway so I’m going to invest in an 12lt tank for inside the console and a 30lt strapped down somewhere. Not sure if it would be best to fit at the back or the font? That would give me 67lt, combine that with jerry cans I’m looking at around 77-87 litres if needed.
I did cover passage planning etc in my intermediate ribochet but at the time i had no idea of fuel usage as i had yet to fully test my boat.
Hi Nathan,

I will be using 4 x 25L Yamaha tanks for the trip and they all have the same connection on so swapping tanks will not be a problem.

The ribeye ebay shop had a brand new one for about £40 the other day