Click Here to Login

Old 25 July 2006, 20:01   #21

Town: Towcester
Boat name: None
Make: None
Length: no boat
Engine: None
Round England & Wales - Day 3

Good progress was made to-day. Started in mist going down the river Humber, then hit thick fog once at sea - it was like this for 4 hours. By lunchtime it was mist/haze, so crew stopped mid sea for a sandwich. From here on in the sun slowly burnt through.
Bryn enjoyed catching the spray at the bow, as there was more wave today.

Did make such good progress, that they achieved the Levington stop approx 3.30pm.

Facts for the day; Total distance travelled 170nmiles, Furthest distance out from shore - 27nmiles, fuelled up mid sea with 60Ltrs from reserves.

Schedule for tomorrow: Ramsgate - not anticipating to over stretch it tomorrow.

OUT
Old 26 July 2006, 06:17   #22

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Length: 5m +
Engine: I/B 3L
Thanks for keeping us upto date
Old 27 July 2006, 11:20   #23

Town: Salisbury, Wiltshire
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300+ Yanmar Inboard
MMSI: 2350400611
Paul & team
Glad to see all is going to plan. Very envious sitting here in a hot office.
Hope the rest of the trip goes well.
Cheers
Jon
Old 27 July 2006, 14:53   #24

Length: 7m +
27th July update.

Hi everyone.

Paul phoned me this morning to give me a few brief details of today's leg of their trip so I could update.
They left the Levington B&B on the Orwell at 9am,cruised to North Foreland spit bouy,visibility was very bad due to mist,bye the time they got to the south Foreland things were brightening up. Made Folkestone by lunchtime, heading for Eastbourne which has a massive harbour.
Kathryn drove down to meet the boy's and spend the day. Done a bit of Crab fishing ( as you do) Heading back later on this afternoon I think?
Paul and Bryn done 112nmiles today using 128lts of fuel.
They are heading for the Isle of Wight from the Solent.
I hope this all makes sense to you sea dogs as I wrote this down shorthand while Paul was telling me on the mobile.
Will be taking the stricken trailer to "Indespension" next week to get it sorted in time for the return journey from the west coast of Scotland back home to Towcester at the end of the week.

Pete.
Old 27 July 2006, 15:15   #25

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Fantastic.......

......I'm so envious and good on you (H&D) for supporting what will, I am sure, be an ever lasting memory for the two of them.

Can you advise their remaining stopover itinerary for the days ahead.

Fair winds, smooth seas and safe passages,
Old 27 July 2006, 15:51   #26

Town: Bembridge
Boat name: Mellow Yellow
Make: Scorpion Pioneer
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards Twin 250's
MMSI: 235024352
Please pass on the message, we are sorry to have missed you today, had we known we would have been out there to wish well on your way. Next time?All the best Martin and Stephanie
Old 27 July 2006, 17:26   #27

A brief update from the Round Englanders- more later

For those of you in the Solent area, Paul & Bryn have moored up in Yarmouth and in a B&B at Freshwater for tonight. Paul thinks he's seen Blue Marlin at yarmouth so perhaps Chris lurking on the island somewhere!

If anyone wants to meet up for a blast tomorrow, let us know.
Old 27 July 2006, 18:31   #28

Round England & Wales - Day 5

First, thanks to Pete for posting yesterdays leg of the journey and yes I did go down to Eastbourne.

Second thanks, go to everyone following this epic journey. Sorry Martin, you missed joining up with them today - there is always tomorrow - 8.30 am (see below). Paul has said he, would be pleased to see anyone - either on water or on shore, so in reply to MeMe, see below for rough itinerary but because of 'good' weather they are making rapid progress.

So for todays report:

We (all 3 of us) had a good English Breakfast at the Park View Hotel - Eastbourne. Had to go to a Chemist for some stronger sun block, hand and faces are really taking a hint of Mahogany!
We then headed to the Pier for a spot of Crab fishing (must have caught the smallest crab on record) Nice to have a chance to enjoy a slower pace of life, rounding off with a fab ice cream.

Drove around to the boat, to deposit crew. Did a quick swap of laundry and the lads dressed up in drysuits (in the boiling sun) and headed for the lock. Once out, there was a distant wave (a hand type wave) and they were gone. Back home for me.

Apparently there were some proper waves today, with winds a westerly force 4, wind over tide coming up the solent. The rest is as reported above.
Mileage 70nmiles.

So the itinerary tomorrow - 8.30 start, head for the needles, onto Anvil point, Portland Bill, Lyme bay and stop over in Salcombe.

Sat : Falmouth
Sun: Padstow
Mon: Milford Haven
Tue: Pwhelli
Wed: Conway
Thu: Whitehaven/Sillouth - End

This is just a guide and I will keep you posted if it is any different.

They are currently having Fish & Chips on the harbour wall.

Well thats all. thanks for your support again

H&D
Old 27 July 2006, 20:36   #29

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
have been following this and it looks great fun, wishing you all the best on the rest of the journey
Old 28 July 2006, 21:39   #30

Round England & Wales - Day 6

Not alot to report for today, - crew are too busy going out on the Razzle with friends in Salcombe.

Travelled 100nmiles today, took longer than expecte. The first 60nmiles were easy cruising, but the last 40nmiles were alot rougher and harder going.

Yes that was all - shortest phone call to date!!!! No doubt I will have more to add tomorrow morning.

H & D
Old 28 July 2006, 21:48   #31

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
We watched for them from Start Point this afternoon but didn't see them.... certainly sympathised as there was a westerly breeze and short chop running.

Kathryn - check your PMs as I can shoot over to Salcombe tomorrow morning to get send-off photos.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2006, 10:42   #32

Round England & Wales - Day 7

Thanks for your note Richard B - sorry u missed them. As you have already guessed, they were up and gone early from Salcombe as they were aiming from Falmouth.

However I received a call at 9.50am to say they had just moored up at Mayflower Marina - Plymouth. With Stong South Westerlys and big seas, progress was tough.
Therefore thay have decided to wait out the morning, in the hope things ease off later in the day.

I think they have gone to the Cinema - Stormbreaker!!!!!!!!

If things don't improve they will stop in Plymouth for the night, but i will post more when a decision is made.

Ah yes I forgot to mention yesterday - they had chart plotter failure most of the day, so they had to get the charts out! This morning it seemed to work partially - would give direction but would not display the map fully! Paul's not sure as to why - I'm sure if he has the time today he will look into it further.

H & D
Old 29 July 2006, 16:34   #33

Round England & Wales- Day 7 Update

It has ended up as a day in Plymouth for the crew and chance to recharge the batteries. Forcast is, the weather should be better for tomorrow.

The planned schedule will be to call into Falmouth to refuel and then continue onto Penzance. Can anyone tell us what time high water will be for Penzance tomorrow? (All Pauls paperwork is on the boat and they staying too far from the marina to check) so your help would be appreciated.

Apologies Richard B, I am still a novice at this forum lark, and so wasn't aware of PM's!!!! I am now though.

H & D
Old 29 July 2006, 16:38   #34

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by High & Dry
Can anyone tell us what time high water will be for Penzance tomorrow?

H & D
http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/easytide...ictionLength=2

Need to add 1 hour for BST
Old 29 July 2006, 16:42   #35

What time are they leaving Plymouth in the morning?

Might see them as they pass St Austell Bay
Old 29 July 2006, 19:17   #36

High water at Penzance

Add an hour to what!

H & D
Old 29 July 2006, 19:23   #37

Penzance- Sun 30 July
High water...08.33
Low water...15.05
High water...20.48
Old 29 July 2006, 20:16   #38

Thanks alot , I will let Paul know.

I'm not sure exact time they are heading out in the morning, he's not said. All weather & Tide dependant possibly??? (I'm even beginning to sound like you lot!)

H & D
Old 30 July 2006, 17:49   #39

Round England & Wales - Day 8

Well, weather and sea conditions had improved enough for Paul & Bryn, to head out on the next sector. It was not a comfortable ride, but got into Falmouth at 11am, to refuel (both boat & crew - the latter stocking up on baguettes & cakes from a local bakery, plus an ice cream treat and polo's for the journey.

The forecast was for the wind to increase over the afternoon, so Marikh and crew headed back out as soon as possible. The wind was roughly a Force 6, with heavy rain showers and steep seas around the Lizard - one certain little crew member found today a bit tough and probably is still having a bit of a sulk as we speak .

They got into Penzance around 2.30pm and moored up on the quay. Whilst waiting for high tide, in order to get into the lock, both crew headed to the B&B to freshen up and relax. Then at 7.30pmish will move the boat into the lock before going for something to eat.

The chart plotter is virtually working now, but the 'little thingy' at the back at the boat that measures distance has gone on the blink - so you will have to work this one out for yourselves folks!!!!

Weather is looking a bit iffy for tomorrow - so may have to wait for a better weather window before attempting Lands End.

Apparently the difficulty is because both Penzance and Padstow (the next suitable stop) are locked, they have a tight schedule to ensure they get in in time. Once they have left Penzance they only have approx a hour to decide, if its too bad, to turn around and go back (before being locked out) or to press on. However, if they press on but it takes alot longer than expected, because of the rough weather, they risk not getting into Padstow! Thats what I have been told anyway.

So, I believe Paul is prepared to wait if necessary. Does anyone know what you can do with a 11yr old all day in Penzance (bearing in mind they are running out of films to watch at the cinema?

Well, I'd better get back to painting the kitchen.

H & D Signing off!
Old 31 July 2006, 08:47   #40

Round England & Wales - Day 9

This morning they decided to give it a go and see what the conditions were like. The seas were huge and was soon evident that it was not sensible to proceed any further, and so headed back to Penzance - arrived back 9am.

They have managed to book themselves back in the same B&B. Time to go to the laundrette boys!!!! They may decide to catch up on some rest, although later they may go to on the bus to St Ives - an experience in itself no doubt.

Paul will be keeping an eye on the weather reports today, although it' doesn't seem good for tomorrow at present, but Wednesday looks better.

H & D